Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And this is why I buy a Tesla instead of Mercedes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In real estate they say the only three things that matter is "location, location and location". To a consumer that has purchased a luxury car, the three things that really matter are "service, service and service".

I will always remember when I purchased my first Mercedes S Class car on Long Island back in 1990 and brought it in for a service appointment ...

1) the Rep at the desk kept me waiting for about 15 minutes and then treated me like I was a nuisance and he really didn't have time for me.

2) they found problems that they claimed were not under warranty and billed me for approx. $300

3) they gave me a filthy Ford Pinto as a loaner. (can you believe this? It is really true LOL!)

I will never ever forget this horrible experience with that Mercedes dealership!

Recently and for the last three years, I have experienced just the contrary to this with my Tesla Service Center in Raleigh, NC. ...

1) I can call service and speak to a rep within minutes at any time during business hours ... and they are always friendly, professional and proficient.

2) they accommodate me beyond reasonable expectations and always make me feel good.

3) they provide me with a clean and up-to-date Tesla loaner.

4) a Rep calls me throughout the day and keeps me abreast of progress. They will automate this process shortly.

4) they always fix the problem and/or do the service and return to me a crystal clean car at the end of the day.

So, I have to publicly commend the Raleigh, NC Service Center. In my eyes they have achieved a 5 star rating for service in my book!

Attached is my recent service bill.

Phil

Attachments

• Tesla Service Charges 082217.pdf
    82.2 KB · Views: 114
This makes me remember. I have had excellent service from only one non-Tesla dealer, The Collection in Coral Gables, FL. They were good enough that I bought a Jaguar, Maserati, Porsche and an Audi from them. Now that I have a Tesla and have experienced Tesla service, even far away from my car, I would rate Tesla far above the other one. Now that Tesla is apparently in the process of opening a new Service Center a 10 minute walk from my residence Tesla will become even more convenient. For comic relief the new Tesla SC appears to be a block or so away from my former preferred dealer.

Every other dealer I have ever used was far less satisfactory than the one I named, and that includes ones from Thailand to the UK and from New York to Rio de Janeiro, in all nine countries and more than a half dozen US States. It's a sad state of affairs when I can only count Tesla and one non-Tesla dealer as having decent service.

...not that I would consider an ICE anyway, but I might sometime consider a non-Tesla BEV were it to have a Tesla-like direct sales model.

1) I can call service and speak to a rep within minutes at any time during business hours ... and they are always friendly, professional and proficient.

I wish this was true at the two service centers I have used. I normally spend so long on hold I get thrown over to the call center who can't answer my questions. I end up having to relay my questions to them and then they relay them to the service center and I get a call back a few hours later. Last time that happened I decided I didn't need an answer to my question that bad and ended up only asking for something the call center could do (give me a copy of my repair order they forgot to give me).

In person the fellow giving me back my car is usually nice enough, but has zero technical info about the repairs. For example my pano roof had a misalignment, with lots of assemblies listed on the repair order upon pick up. I asked did they have to replace the glass so I know if I need to have my crystalline replaced? No one knew and they couldnt answer my question since all the techs had gone home. I still don't know the answer to that one. I guess I will have to take it back to the tint shop and ask them since I can't tell by looking myself (it's the 70 film, so pretty clear). And to top it all off, they left a bunch of sealant smeared on the glass over the rear seats that I need to clean up still.

But, they did score me the TPMS upgrade for free when I had an intermittent issue. So kudos for that. That savings will probably offset the costs to replace the film if they did change out my glass.

But, overall, YMMV with Tesla service.

Last edited:
I miss my independent Porsche mechanic and don't anticipate finding an independent for my Teslas for at least another 5-10 years. I'll take a 40+ year vet who I know well over all of the well-intentioned, polite young Tesla techs any day. But they are good enough to not be a significant factor in my buying Teslas. P.S. I'm not sure why the OP and others here are so concerned about a loaner car. The cost and quality of the service work is all that really matters to me and of course independents typically don't provide loaners. But is that really a good reason to use a stealership?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mmd
I miss my independent Porsche mechanic and don't anticipate finding an independent for my Teslas for at least another 5-10 years. I'll take a 40+ year vet who I know well over all of the well-intentioned, polite young Tesla techs any day. But they are good enough to not be a significant factor in my buying Teslas. P.S. I'm not sure why the OP and others here are so concerned about a loaner car. The cost and quality of the service work is all that really matters to me and of course independents typically don't provide loaners. But is that really a good reason to use a stealership?
Here is another case of where our age group really doesn't understand todays' technology scene. Let me explain: I am the CEO of a software company. I see resumes all day long from developers who claim to have 10-20 years of coding experience and are asking high salaries. These people are almost useless in todays' software world and aren't worth a nickel to me. The technology changes so fast that people with 5+ years of experience are almost out dated. To that end, I will take a 25 year old Tesla Technician over a highly experienced 40 year old Porsche mechanic with 15 years experience. Your Porsche mechanic is becoming obsolete and probably couldn't get a job with Tesla.

Here is another case of where our age group really doesn't understand todays' technology scene. Let me explain: I am the CEO of a software company. I see resumes all day long from developers who claim to have 10-20 years of coding experience and are asking high salaries. These people are almost useless in todays' software world and aren't worth a nickel to me. The technology changes so fast that people with 5+ years of experience are almost out dated. To that end, I will take a 25 year old Tesla Technician over a highly experienced 40 year old Porsche mechanic with 15 years experience. Your Porsche mechanic is becoming obsolete and probably couldn't get a job with Tesla.
It seems to me the "mechanic problem" is that there really is not very much left to do with a modern car that requires traditional mechanical expertise. The only arena left for the traditional mechanic that I can readily think of is diagnosis of NVH issues, and even there it's probably limited to "squeaks, leaks and rattles".

To that end, I will take a 25 year old Tesla Technician over a highly experienced 40 year old Porsche mechanic with 15 years experience.
If you took a Porsche to a 25 year old Tesla Technician they'd probably spend an hour looking for where to plug-in the charger. You're comparing apples to oranges. Like hiring a refrigerator repairman to fix your computer. If you're a CEO it sounds like just a matter of time before you get an age discrimination lawsuit with those generalizations.

Last edited:
Service varies by service center, not so much by brand. To counter your anecdotal experience with my own, my local BMW service center is amazing. The place is beautiful. Everyone is friendly. I can get appointments quickly and can get help without having an appointment. The waiting area for service has good coffee and fresh fruit and cushy chairs, etc, etc. I have joked about going there just to hang out. I got a nail in my band new run-flat tire a few months after I got my car, and although it was near the sidewall they still managed to patch it for like $70 (still holding, 2 years on) rather than my having to buy a new $400 tire.

I will miss them when I get my Tesla and am crossing my fingers that my local Tesla SC is nearly as good.

Reactions: Spidy
Wow.

Last edited:
I'm glad I don't work for you. Hopefully I don't use any of your products either.

As for Tesla, indeed they have quite a bit of NIH syndrome and it shows in various trivial mistakes that more experienced people would avoid easily (probably, we will never know unless somebody will find a way to switch to alternate history lines).

You sound like a lovely bloke

In real estate they say the only three things that matter is "location, location and location". To a consumer that has purchased a luxury car, the three things that really matter are "service, service and service".

I will always remember when I purchased my first Mercedes S Class car on Long Island back in 1990 and brought it in for a service appointment ...

1) the Rep at the desk kept me waiting for about 15 minutes and then treated me like I was a nuisance and he really didn't have time for me.

2) they found problems that they claimed were not under warranty and billed me for approx. $300

3) they gave me a filthy Ford Pinto as a loaner. (can you believe this? It is really true LOL!)

I will never ever forget this horrible experience with that Mercedes dealership!

Recently and for the last three years, I have experienced just the contrary to this with my Tesla Service Center in Raleigh, NC. ...

2) they accommodate me beyond reasonable expectations and always make me feel good.

3) they provide me with a clean and up-to-date Tesla loaner.

4) a Rep calls me throughout the day and keeps me abreast of progress. They will automate this process shortly.

4) they always fix the problem and/or do the service and return to me a crystal clean car at the end of the day.

So, I have to publicly commend the Raleigh, NC Service Center. In my eyes they have achieved a 5 star rating for service in my book!

Attached is my recent service bill.

Phil
Ditto for the service in Sydney, Australia.
A great team! Adriano, Ruby, Courtney...

Props to the Burlingame, CA service center folks as well. Have always had a seamless experience with them - for some early minor repairs and during a Ludicrous upgrade last year (where they threw in a free annual service because of how long the job took, all while I had an MS loaner). Always available quickly via email and on the phone.

Reactions: EinSV
If you took a Porsche to a 25 year old Tesla Technician they'd probably spend an hour looking for where to plug-in the charger. You're comparing apples to oranges. Like hiring a refrigerator repairman to fix your computer. If you're a CEO it sounds like just a matter of time before you get an age discrimination lawsuit with those generalizations.
It's not an age issue or apples and oranges analogy at all. It's simply a matter of relevant education and experience. EG: If a Senior Porsche technician looking for a job came to an interview with a Tesla Customer Support Manager, a typical question might be "Do you have any knowledge and/or experience that relates to our technology?" 'Nuff said?

It's simply a matter of relevant education and experience.

I totally agree. But in your original post you implied that older people generally have less relevant experience than younger people and are incapable of learning new technologies.

The post you were replying to was not suggesting that a Porsche mechanic would be better at fixing a Tesla than a young Tesla mechanic. It was that a disadvantage Tesla has over other car makers (like Porsche) is that there are no veteran independent Tesla mechanics.

I totally agree. But in your original post you implied that older people generally have less relevant experience than younger people and are incapable of learning new technologies.

The post you were replying to was not suggesting that a Porsche mechanic would be better at fixing a Tesla than a young Tesla mechanic. It was that a disadvantage Tesla has over other car makers (like Porsche) is that there are no veteran independent Tesla mechanics.
I double checked my previous post and I cannot find anyplace where I said, implied or mentioned, "incapable of learning new technologies." Interesting point you have made however; I have two chief developers who are 45 years old (I suppose this is old for a developer) whom I wouldn't trade for any less experienced or younger developer. They have managed to keep up with current software technology and as a result - they are in most situations, better all around developers that our younger people. BTW, Tesla techs do not necessarily have to be young to be competent.

My apologies - I somewhat regret getting off topic ... my original objective for posting this thread was to applaud the Tesla Raleigh Service Team for their continued superlative support and professionalism. :)

Are you looking for a position in a software company? :)

Nope.

If a Senior Porsche technician looking for a job came to an interview with a Tesla Customer Support Manager, a typical question might be "Do you have any knowledge and/or experience that relates to our technology?" '
Of course he'd say YES.
See, suspension, tires, interior, low voltage electronics, exterior are largely very similar to conventional cars.
There's no engine or transmission, true, that makes only a relatively small part of a car.