Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient Lighting that Integrates with Model Y like the Highland Refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! Is there any ambient lighting kit that mimics/mirrors the highland refresh on the Model 3 but brings it to the Model Y? I know we won't be able to get the RGB color switching option integrated through the screen interface on the Model Y but even being able to turn it off and on through the screen would be nice. Also, I know a lot of the 3rd party apps tap into the power of the usb/cigarette lighter which I also wanted to avoid.

The closeset I've found is this guy (Jeremy Hall) built a small board to integrate with the footwell for the Model 3 (back in 2020)

And he sells circuit kits from the UK, but before I went down this route, I wanted to find out if anyone else had found a less DIY option that replicates the highland refresh. Thanks!!

The pics should give you an idea

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    278.8 KB · Views: 167
The lighting fits in the vent area. At the top of that vent area is a slit in which the LED slides into. Although the LED strip comes with a sticky side you really don’t need it as the LED fits in a pocket above the vent. PITA to get it into the slot if you follow the instructions. I finally just took the top of the dash off which made it super easy.

Here is a good video for the install and review.

YouTube review

The lighting fits in the vent area. At the top of that vent area is a slit in which the LED slides into. Although the LED strip comes with a sticky side you really don’t need it as the LED fits in a pocket above the vent. PITA to get it into the slot if you follow the instructions. I finally just took the top of the dash off which made it super easy.

Here is a good video for the install and review.

YouTube review
This looks pretty cool. But I imagine it cant be controlled at all through the ambient light button on the center screen right? Only through your phone?

This looks pretty cool. But I imagine it cant be controlled at all through the ambient light button on the center screen right? Only through your phone?
Correct. However, what makes this different is you “set it and forget it.” No more having to reach to the phone and turn lights on and off as they are tied to the OBD port. When you enter the car they turn on and when you exit they turn off. Always remembers last settings.

Reactions: fredzos
I use that kid for the dash light and the little light strip above the wireless charger. It held up all summer and my car gets direct sunlight. I didn't use the rest of the kid, but absolutely love the dash light. It doesn't reach the outer 2-3 inches like mentioned below, but it looks great.

Reactions: DJ DizzR
I recently add Lighting Bug. Ties into OBD port. By far the best I’ve tried to date.

Lighting Bug tech
That does look good. I watched their full install video, it looks fairly clean in daylight (always the big problem with these kits, do they look like crap during the day). Probably the best one I've seen.

Thanks. It doesn’t look like it extends all the way with a weird 2-3 inch gap on each end.
I agree that's not ideal but it looks a lot better than the alternative. With the way the dash is designed, the kits that try to cram lighting all the way through to the edges wind up looking like crap.