Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I going to regret leaving off the air suspension option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to think that it was a mistake to not include the air suspension on my 85D that will be ready in 2 - 3 weeks. :(

Can it be added after?

Any strong opinions on big benefits of the air suspension?

I got the coils. I get loaners with air suspension every time for some reason but other than the 007/James Bond mode I find no real feeling I like better and the height changes seem minor. Im very happy with my coils and i've never bottomed out.

I have a P85D with Air Suspension - my initial order didn't include Air Suspension but after ordering Tesla called and said that if I really wanted to stick with coils my delivery would be delayed several months, so I changed to the Air. Other than playing with raising and lowering when I first got the car 10+ months ago I have never touched it - maybe I am missing something?

Autopilot...

I have a 70D with coils and had an 85D loaner with air for a couple of days, and I was happy to get back into my car (though I still miss those NextGen seats !). Specifically, Autopilot maneuvers (as they are today anyway) can be quite sharp and I felt a bit of a floaty feel with the air vs. coils (to the degree that I think TMC could consider different programming for coils and air).

The main reason I chose the coils though was budget -- both on the initial order, and on any future work the system may need which from what I understand can be costly, and expected, at least from what some say.

But either way you still have the best car in the world, so...

I'm starting to think that it was a mistake to not include the air suspension on my 85D that will be ready in 2 - 3 weeks. :(

Can it be added after?

Any strong opinions on big benefits of the air suspension?
I have driven roughly 30 different Model S's to date. Basically, I've driven almost every configuration.
Personally, the Air suspension is not worth it. The only benefit I saw was to raise the height of the vehicle to clear steep drives or objects. Now, on the other hand, I have not met a drive or object my car with Coil did not make it over (Accept a raccoon and cyote......). I also feel the handling with the coils was a bit better for 90% of the driving except very high speed, where the LOW level setting for the air helped a bit.

Also, keep in mind, Coil will be much more reliable!

I have driven roughly 30 different Model S's to date. Basically, I've driven almost every configuration.
Personally, the Air suspension is not worth it. The only benefit I saw was to raise the height of the vehicle to clear steep drives or objects. Now, on the other hand, I have not met a drive or object my car with Coil did not make it over (Accept a raccoon and cyote......). I also feel the handling with the coils was a bit better for 90% of the driving except very high speed, where the LOW level setting for the air helped a bit.

Also, keep in mind, Coil will be much more reliable!

I agree with all of the above. I think most people are getting air suspension for really no reason.

Air suspension is crucial for people living in big cities like Hong Kong, since almost all the car parks have steep drive way and countless speed bumps. It is so convenient for me to have the suspension raised automatically every day when parking at work or at home.

I looked thru about half of the 6 pages of responses so far to see if anyone who lives in snowier parts of the country responded here... I didn't see it or missed it... I took possession of my 85D with Air at the end of June, but living thru many snowy winters here in the northeast - especially last winter - has taught me the value of SUV level of clearance to get thru unplowed streets - hell, to get out of my driveway after the plows have gone by and created a berm. Like others, I appreciate not scratching the front bottom on high parking curbs, and the fact that the car remembers to raise up based on location after asking it to raise up once. Finally, my garage has a unique issue with a foundation lip along the right side of the car that limits the passenger door from opening for comfortable entry/exit by 1-1/2 inches if the car is is in standard. By raising it up the extra 2", I can get the door over the lip. Definitely glad i got the air suspension.
Thanks for chiming in. My single biggest hesitation (aside from the obvious cost) to getting a Tesla was the clearance question. As I said in my first post, I live in a rural area and have a 1/3 mile gravel driveway off the road. Locals plow our roads, but not to super-clean standards. The Smart Air option gave me more confidence in being able to crawl out of my driveway in January. (I'm hoping that proves to be true!)

I'm not a sporty enough driver to be able to comment on the difference in feel; I've driven SUVs all my life, with the corresponding conservative use of energy, and I'm going to be ridiculously giggly in this zippy little car regardless of suspension! :biggrin:

I specifically chose NOT to get air suspension because:
1. Didn't notice a difference with or without
2. Save $ when ordering
3a. Save $ if keeping the car past warranty since the air suspension can be VERY costly to repair
3b. Save $ when reselling the car since there are less parts that can require costly repairs

One other consideration: Model X towing option requires air suspension. So when Model S finally gets towing, if a retrofit is offered, air suspension will likely be a requirement to get it.
I am doubtful that the S will ever be offered with towing capability as a factory option, and am pretty sure such capability will ever be available from Tesla as a "retrofit".

I am doubtful that the S will ever be offered with towing capability as a factory option, and am pretty sure such capability will ever be available from Tesla as a "retrofit".

I'm more optimistic on both counts (but especially the former). More importantly, here are the facts I'm considering, so folks can make their own determinations:

1. Model X can tow only when equipped with the air suspension.
2. X and S share the same platform.
3. Aftermarket towing options exist for Model S, and many have used them for hitch- and trailer-based towing.
4. Tesla has tested Model S towing on public highways.
5. Tesla has been willing to perform at least one other structural retrofit (installing a rear cross piece to retrofit third row seats).

Speaking of towing, any update on how you would use a SC when towing something? There appeared to be a very few SCs that were of a drive-through configuration, have Tesla started to install more of this type of SC? Otherwise it would seem inconvenient to have to detach your trailer to back into a SC and then re-attach.

I have Air and I can't live without it. My driveway's angle is not favorable. Plus, in the couple of times I've forgotten to adjust the height, I have scraped the bottom at various other locations. Some people have reported this helps with those annoying parking curbs that have torn off front bumpers. :) Now, when I go to a parking lot or location with a weird looking curb cut, I just raise the car and I never scrape the bottom anymore.

- K

Before I really even knew anything about the cars, I test drove the Model S a couple times and 100% noticed a difference everytime without being told. I love the air suspension and really wouldn't take a car without it. I'd say go for it, as I was hesitant at getting it and don't regret it one bit.

I'm not saying people posting that you need the air suspension to get the car over steep curbs and driveways are wrong ... but ... I've gotten the Model S as well as a few other super low sports cars up many a steep curb and driveway by simply taking it at a 45 degree angle and going one wheel at a time. If you're willing to sit there and raise the suspension, it takes less time to simply drive slowly and at a sharp angle. Just sayin' - I'm sure I'm wrong and others will say that's not feasible in their situation. I live quite a hilly area with some tall driveway curbs, and even have a neighbor with a kid that drives a silly Infiniti G37 slammed to the ground and a body kit that can't be more than two inches off the ground and he's somehow able to do the same on his curbed driveway as well. Anyway, all I'm saying if you want to save a few bucks you might be able to.

I'm not saying people posting that you need the air suspension to get the car over steep curbs and driveways are wrong ... but ... I've gotten the Model S as well as a few other super low sports cars up many a steep curb and driveway by simply taking it at a 45 degree angle and going one wheel at a time. If you're willing to sit there and raise the suspension, it takes less time to simply drive slowly and at a sharp angle. Just sayin' - I'm sure I'm wrong and others will say that's not feasible in their situation. I live quite a hilly area with some tall driveway curbs, and even have a neighbor with a kid that drives a silly Infiniti G37 slammed to the ground and a body kit that can't be more than two inches off the ground and he's somehow able to do the same on his curbed driveway as well. Anyway, all I'm saying if you want to save a few bucks you might be able to.

driveway geometry can be as varied as snowflakes... take mine for instance. my lowered mazda miata can deal with it, only tapping one cross member in a most frightening sounding way, but is harmless. hitting when one axle is on the street and one is beyond the sidewalk. wifes fit ev, only a quick rub of the aero spliter with both axles are on the street. my fiat 500e, sounds like the front bumper is going to be torn off and has actually ripped the front spliter while both axles are on the street. my friends wrx... impossible without helper boards placed in the street.

we had tesla come by and test a car with air suspension and the front bumper / spliter was about an inch away from rubbing when both axles were on the street, this was in air high mode. im fairly confident that the coils would not be able to deal with the approach angle.

all done at 45*

...i want a model s more than i want a new driveway.