Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I Being Quoted Too High For My Wall Connector Installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as it stands, I’m going for a Wall Connector installation. I have it on hand and am reaching out to local electricians for quotes.

My panel is located within the garage itself so there’s not much labor here since it’ll be a couple feet away from the panel. What is a reasonable cost for this type of installation given my scenario? I’m being quoted anywhere from 600-900 for this and I think that’s a little rich for what is going to be an hour tops given the location of the panel? Am I being unreasonable or is this just the new reality of inflation and electricians making some cash from EV owners?

The main thing for me is I don’t want to go the cheap route and risk anything to save a couple hundred bucks so I don’t mind paying the money but is it really this expensive for a basic and relatively short installation like mine would be?

Also noting that there are some local and federal rebates so even if I pay something like 700, I’ll get around 300 or so back from tax credits but of course I’ll have to wait till next year for that. It’s not the end of the world but just curious what others have been quoted and charged.

Anyone have a similar installation scenario? How much did it cost?

I’m going for a Wall Connector installation

If you are planning to install a 60-amp circuit make sure the electrician uses the correct wire, surprisingly too many of them will use #6 NM-B (Romex), which is limited to a 55-amp circuit. The wire used must be rated to a 60-amps, or above. The Wall Connector when set to the maximum 60-amp circuit will draw 48-amp continuously. When an appliance draws a continuous load the wire must be rated to 125% of that load, so 48-amps * 125% = 60-amps. This is often stated as the 80% rule, which is just doing the calculation from the other direction, that is, the continuous load for a wire is 80% of the wire’s rating, so 60-amps * 80% = 48-amps.

Mostly you are paying for the electrician's time. This includes obtaining any needed permits, purchasing the materials and performing the work. $600 seems about right, $900 seems high. As with most things good people know their value and don't work for little compensation. Before you commit get two more quotes.
Thanks. I’m thinking 600-700 range is fine given the rebates that I’ll get but 900 and above is way too rich for this. I’ve called a few people and they all are hovering around 700 more or less.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
If you are planning to install a 60-amp circuit make sure the electrician uses the correct wire, surprisingly too many of them will use #6 NM-B (Romex), which is limited to a 55-amp circuit. The wire used must be rated to a 60-amps, or above. The Wall Connector when set to the maximum 60-amp circuit will draw 48-amp continuously. When an appliance draws a continuous load the wire must be rated to 125% of that load, so 48-amps * 125% = 60-amps. This is often stated as the 80% rule, which is just doing the calculation from the other direction, that is, the continuous load for a wire is 80% of the wire’s rating, so 60-amps * 80% = 48-amps.
I’ll be sure to do that, thanks! I’m using electricians mostly found on Tesla’s website so hopefully they’re up to code.

So as it stands, I’m going for a Wall Connector installation. I have it on hand and am reaching out to local electricians for quotes.

My panel is located within the garage itself so there’s not much labor here since it’ll be a couple feet away from the panel. What is a reasonable cost for this type of installation given my scenario? I’m being quoted anywhere from 600-900 for this and I think that’s a little rich for what is going to be an hour tops given the location of the panel? Am I being unreasonable or is this just the new reality of inflation and electricians making some cash from EV owners?

The main thing for me is I don’t want to go the cheap route and risk anything to save a couple hundred bucks so I don’t mind paying the money but is it really this expensive for a basic and relatively short installation like mine would be?

Also noting that there are some local and federal rebates so even if I pay something like 700, I’ll get around 300 or so back from tax credits but of course I’ll have to wait till next year for that. It’s not the end of the world but just curious what others have been quoted and charged.

Anyone have a similar installation scenario? How much did it cost?
Electricians aren’t cheap.

They cost me $1500 plus the charger to have it installed. In my case they had to run conduit clear across my house to the garage.
A typical installation cost is about half of what I paid.

Doesn’t it all seem to me like you’re getting screwed…

depends where you live

but i don’t that’s unreasonable…
Electricians aren’t cheap.

They cost me $1500 plus the charger to have it installed. In my case they had to run conduit clear across my house to the garage.
A typical installation cost is about half of what I paid.

Doesn’t it all seem to me like you’re getting screwed…
Thanks both. I’ll reach out to a few more just to get a few more quotes but it looks like 600-700s is the most common price I’m getting.

Mine was about $1200 and I thought I got a bargain. Due to a circuitous route and finished walls it took two guys about 6 hours to do the job. In my part of the world that's cheap for electrician time, especially when you add in travel time.

I'd guess around $300 just to show up then $100-150/hour/person for most small jobs in a high cost area. Your $600-700 range seems pretty reasonable. Permit fees would be on top of that, as would a second visit, if required, to meet an inspector.

installed 220-volt hard-wired Tesla charger in 2018 for Model 3 LR. Electrician charged $1,000 including running way across the basement to the garage. In one of the less expensive parts of NJ. So, yes, $1,300 is entirely believable. When we moved I just added a 220 plug for the charger that came with the car (dual 110/220) and that was under $400 (included some other minor unrelated work). Not cheap, electricians.

Electricians will often tack on a couple hundred bucks to pull the proper permit. Ask each bidder whether they are including the permit, and also ask them to tell you exactly what kind of wire they plan to use, and any other install details.

For example, my install was done using #6 THHN in conduit mounted on the drywall. I don't mind the exposed conduit in the garage. If they are using NM-B (aka Romex), then it has to be installed under the drywall, and you have to step up to #4 wire to meet code.

I'm on the eastern seaboard in the mid-Atlantic area. Our electric panel is in our basement right below our two car side entry attached garage. Pricing from the two Tesla recommended electricians was $975-1275 dependent upon charger location, and $800 for a static location right above the panel (maybe 6-8 feet of wiring from the panel to the charger location). We've got another non-Tesla electrician coming out tomorrow that another Tesla owner we know used that should be less money from the sounds of it.

A 10 foot run from my panel to the charger cost me about $180 dollars in parts, and I subscribed to my own labor, 4hours end to end.

If you are quoted anything less than $1000, assuming variation in wire run, conduit, etc. I think the price is fair. There are factors to consider when seeking service from any contractor: materials, time including travel time, and transportation.