Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I am having a reoccurring issue and need some thoughts. I got my Gen 3 wall connector installed by an electrician and after about 2 days of using the charger, the charger would not light up. I assumed it was a power supply issue so my electrician came back and swore that the wiring, energy management system and breaker was all set up correctly. The unit still would not light up.

I called Tesla and got a new unit sent to me. The same issue happened about a month later where the unit would not light up. I flipped the breaker and the unit surprisingly light back up and it worked fine for about 2 months. I also commissioned the unit and updated the firmware. I also lowered the amount of amps that the car was pulling from the house from 48A to 46A. The wall connector worked fine for about 2 months.

Last night I installed a software update on my Model Y and noticed that the wall connector lost its light again. I once again cannot connect to the units wifi to update the firmware. I tried resetting the unit by flipping the breaker but still nothing. The unit still will not light up.

At this point I have no idea what to do or what may be the root of this issue. Faulty wiring ? bad breaker? defective unit ?

If anyone has any solutions or ideas please let me know.

Hi everyone,

I am having a reoccurring issue and need some thoughts. I got my Gen 3 wall connector installed by an electrician and after about 2 days of using the charger, the charger would not light up. I assumed it was a power supply issue so my electrician came back and swore that the wiring, energy management system and breaker was all set up correctly. The unit still would not light up.

I called Tesla and got a new unit sent to me. The same issue happened about a month later where the unit would not light up. I flipped the breaker and the unit surprisingly light back up and it worked fine for about 2 months. I also commissioned the unit and updated the firmware. I also lowered the amount of amps that the car was pulling from the house from 48A to 46A. The wall connector worked fine for about 2 months.

Last night I installed a software update on my Model Y and noticed that the wall connector lost its light again. I once again cannot connect to the units wifi to update the firmware. I tried resetting the unit by flipping the breaker but still nothing. The unit still will not light up.

At this point I have no idea what to do or what may be the root of this issue. Faulty wiring ? bad breaker? defective unit ?

If anyone has any solutions or ideas please let me know.
Sounds like a GFI issue.
  1. Try keeping the cord off the floor. Could be moisture in the slab is causing the GFI to pop?
  2. The wall charger has an internal GFI. Many codes require a GFI in the breaker panel too. Double GFI's cause nuisance breaker trips.
Maybe a licensed electrician on this forum can elaborate.

Upvote 0
Are you using a 60A GFCI breaker for the wall connector, or a standard breaker?

If it's GFCI, it would be a good idea to swap it out for a standard 60A breaker.

No sense reducing the current to 46A from 48A, I would commission it back to the full amperage.

You also mentioned an "energy management system" in the first post - what is that? Is it tied into the wall connector install in any way?

Upvote 0
I believe it is just a standard breaker. It is a box that our electrician installed that connects wiring from our breaker to the unit itself.
Can you share pics or a make/model of whatever is wired between the wall connector and the electrical panel? That raises a red flag... might be our smoking gun. The wall connector should be wired directly to the electrical panel without any intermediary devices, ideally. Though I'm curious as to what it is, first.

Upvote 0
I believe it is just a standard breaker. It is a box that our electrician installed that connects wiring from our breaker to the unit itself.
If the breaker has a “test” button on it, then it is a GFCI breaker. If so it needs to be replaced with a standard breaker.

Question: does the wire from the wall connector run straight to the main breaker box?

Upvote 0
Did you resolve this?

You said when you reset the breaker once that it came back to life and worked for about 2 months. If that is the case, and since the TWC has been replaced once, I would suspect the breaker could be bad. It happens. It would not be expensive to pop a new one into the panel just to eliminate that.

Upvote 0