Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aluminum Wiring in Home and Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
breakers are the only modern device I've found with Al ratings, I suspected it to be because you aren't allowed to splice in a breaker panel, and they want to be compatible with wiring in older houses. Everything else I've looked at recently has explicitly stated for copper wire only.

In the US, you are permitted to splice in a breaker panel.

The Leviton 14-50's - probably the most common one you'll find, is AL-CU rated:

410YWLFjwwL._SX800_.jpg

P&S, Hubbell, etc., are as well.

The NEC book is huge... I dont see how you keep up with it all.

My master electrician friend goes to a class every year, and gets to learn about all the changes. I think the emotions that each change stirs up allows him to remember them. :p

I think it's probably more challenging for new electricians. But there's a lengthy period of learning and then working as a journeyman, and like programmers, when they're not sure they can go double-check the documentation.

My master electrician friend goes to a class every year, and gets to learn about all the changes. I think the emotions that each change stirs up allows him to remember them. :p

I think it's probably more challenging for new electricians. But there's a lengthy period of learning and then working as a journeyman, and like programmers, when they're not sure they can go double-check the documentation.

And frankly, there are many electricians that don't remember all the details. There are plenty of resources to prepare you for the next cycle and the changes - which are numerous - but at the same time, not every jurisdiction adopts at the same time. NEC 2017 won't automatically go into effect in 2017. Most jurisdictions will vote to adopt in 2018. We have a local community where the NEC 2008 was specifically noted and codified and they haven't updated their codes since.

Some electricians don't find out until they fail an inspection. That's pretty embarrassing, so it usually only happens once.

- - - Updated - - -

The NEC book is huge... I dont see how you keep up with it all.

While the book is huge, it covers a lot of stuff that I will never deal with... Articles for electrified truck spaces, elevators, dumbwaiters, etc., etc., etc.