Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of Lucid Motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tom Moloughney charges a Lucid Dream from zero to full, and it takes 138kWh of energy to fully charge what Lucid claims to be a 118kWh battery pack?

I think the EPA docs were correct, the pack is more like 134kWh rather than 118kWh like Lucid claims, which would mean the car is not near as efficient as Lucid claims it is. 🤔

So Tom Moloughney charges a Lucid Dream from zero to full, and it takes 138kWh of energy to fully charge what Lucid claims to be a 118kWh battery pack?

I think the EPA docs were correct, the pack is more like 134kWh rather than 118kWh like Lucid claims, which would mean the car is not near as efficient as Lucid claims it is. 🤔

Lucid claims 118 kWh useable.

It may very well be 134 kWh gross.

Charging loses are going to be greater at 300 kW fast charging than 150 kW fast charging.

Doesn't necessarily change the efficiency of the car.

Reactions: JRP3 and UCF3
Lucid claims 118 kWh useable.

It may very well be 134 kWh gross.

Charging loses are going to be greater at 300 kW fast charging than 150 kW fast charging.

Doesn't necessarily change the efficiency of the car.
Many if not most would argue that it does indeed affect the efficiency of the car. Just as miles per gallon of gasoline put into the tank matters, miles per kWh put into the battery matters. It shows how far you're going per given unit of energy. You can't exclude charging efficiency from the efficiency of the car. DC to DC charging efficiency should be in the 95-99% range.

Typical charging losses. Especially at 200++ kW due to battery cooling needs. Model S uses 114 kWh on EPA test.

Reactions: UCF3
Not necessarily at the high C rates they are pulling.
Fair enough. I’ve seen mixed values on DC fast charging efficiencies and nothing definitive. Although of course once you get up above 50% SOC and charge rate tapers significantly, those efficiencies should be approaching the mid-upper 90s.

With the 4680s and the shorter electron flow path when charging, there should be a step increase in high-C charging efficiency.

Tom Maloughney was on the insideevs podcast.

Discussed Lucid Air and fast charging. Said ~100 Warren Reclich acolytes have been attacking him online accusing him of being a fraud and a paid schil for Lucid.

Said he will do video showing meticulous test on Air Dream, Model S Plaid, and Taycan. He said it will show at a 350kW charger it will fill the pack 118 kWh and have 16 kWh charging losses. He will also show how many kWh is required to fill Model S Plaid and Taycan. And show charging losses. He said he expects Tesla to have the least charging losses as a percentage because the charging power is the least. But he expects something comparable.

By Tom Moloughney

That still seems very inefficient to me though? My friend who has a 2019 M3 is never more than 2-3% over what the battery takes when DC fast charging at an Electrify America charger (they display the kWh put into the battery). Tom is saying the Lucid lost 13% during fast charging, and that just seems unusually high to me?

Do Tesla's simply lose much less energy while fast charging?

Bjorn Nyland has a few videos charging the Model 3 at Ionity 350 kW chargers.

93% efficiency charging 10% to 90% at a max rate of 191kW. The efficiency is about 90% while it's charging at +120kW

1638220072238.png

That still seems very inefficient to me though? My friend who has a 2019 M3 is never more than 2-3% over what the battery takes when DC fast charging at an Electrify America charger (they display the kWh put into the battery). Tom is saying the Lucid lost 13% during fast charging, and that just seems unusually high to me?

Do Tesla's simply lose much less energy while fast charging?
No, I don't believe Model 3 is losing 2-3% to charging losses while charging from 0-100% with a peak of almost 250 kW.

Here is the end of Tom's article.

Conclusion:​

As you can see, the Model S Plaid actually documents slightly higher charging losses in its EPA filing than that Lucid Air did, 15% compared to 14%. However, the EPA filings only require AC charging data, not DC fast charging information, and as we mention above there are differences, and the charging results depend on a variety of outside factors.

Still, based on the official EPA filings, in our opinion, if one were to accept the fact that the Tesla Model S has a 99.3 kWh battery pack, one should also accept the fact that the Lucid Air Dream Edition has a 118 kWh pack.

Coming from Tom is a vid of Model S Plaid fast charging from 0-100%

Last edited:
The Tesla Model S Plaid Is the Quickest-Charging EV We've Tested

The Tesla Model S Plaid Is the Quickest-Charging EV We've Tested​

The Plaid can accept 250 kW for five minutes, helping it to beat the previous Model S's charging speed by nearly 20 percent....

....Its total time was 38 minutes—some nine minutes, or 19 percent, quicker than the 2021 Model S Long Range Plus we tested—with the highest average charging rate (125 kilowatts) we've seen yet. That betters the average charging rate that we've measured on the Audi e-tron (121 kW) and Porsche Taycan (118 kW) and obliterates that of some other EVs, such as the VW ID.4 (82 kW) or Ford Mustang Mach-E (47 kW).

Good stuff. Hopefully they will the Lucid soon.

SP dropping AH