Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Al Gore President of the USA? A President concerned about the Climate Change issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would that be because of the lack of dispatchable hydro that would help balance the variable renewables?
Quite the opposite; BC's electric utility is called "BC Hydro" precisely because the province gets nearly all its power from big hydro dams, which have a lot of flexibility. (EnergyBC: Where British Columbia gets its Electricity). They are, however, getting on in years and require a huge investment in maintenance and modernization.

The biggest barrier to getting more renewables in BC is the low price of power. BC has a world-class wind resource (British Columbia | Canadian Wind Energy Association) but only 500 MW of installed wind. The province needs to make some hard calls about direction of its future capital expenditures in the power sector.

If there is a competition in whose premier hates environment more, I am confident Australia would beat Canada to it.
Unfortunately, I think you're entirely correct... I've never visited another country in such complete denial, politically... :crying:

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest barrier to getting more renewables in BC is the low price of power. BC has a world-class wind resource (British Columbia | Canadian Wind Energy Association) but only 500 MW of installed wind. The province needs to make some hard calls about direction of its future capital expenditures in the power sector.
Yes. I think the 'green percentage' in BC is around 85%. The power goes for about 8 cents a kWh on the first consumption tier and up to 12 cents for the second. It's difficult to build much of anything with sales at those cheap prices. It also extends the payback period on the solar panels going up at my place this month... but I'm doing it anyway...

Site C will happen. I think it's mostly to power the tar sands... but once we figure out they're just a bad idea, there will be power to sell throughout the western North American grid.

I think you overestimate the power of the American presidency. Despite the cult of personality that has developed around the office, it was always meant to be coequal with the other branches. Congress has a great deal of power and is responsible for much of US policy.

True with the exception that the President appoints Supreme Court justices and that's huge.

Unfortunately, I think you're entirely correct... I've never visited another country in such complete denial, politically... :crying:

Hey beeeerock, we may be in a fun upside down position, but the country is not in a denial, just some peculiar individuals are, but no one here takes them seriously anyway

I think you overestimate the power of the American presidency. Despite the cult of personality that has developed around the office, it was always meant to be coequal with the other branches. Congress has a great deal of power and is responsible for much of US policy.
True with the exception that the President appoints Supreme Court justices and that's huge.

The most relevant exception imo is if the US president is keen to solve unsolvable world problems with US soldiers and arms. Some people might call such hypothetical individual a war monger