Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirBlue windshield tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just a quick question for owners using AB on their windshield. does it have a noticeable blue hue and does it look super reflective from the outside?

i came across this photo from yelp of AB on a MC red tesla and wasn't too keen on the reflective properties and blue hue. (i prefer a smoke or charcoal look and avoid metallic tints for both their reflection and possible interference.)

sorry if this has been asked and answered. i searched the window tint thread but didn't find a ton of comments on AB.

l.jpg

Spectra Photosync is the best on the market in terms of total solar and heat rejection. It also has a nice, neutral tint. 3M Crystalline has similar heat rejection properties, but tint color is on the warmer/yellower side. Windshield tinting is illegal in many states, so if you are going to do it, the last thing you want to do is call attention to it.

I have had AirBlue on three cars. None of them have that blue tint that is in that picture posted above.
Its a great product. Its looks clear from the outside because its a 78% light transmission. AmpedRealtor is correct that tint on windshield is iillegal in most states (unless you get a medical waiver note), but the AirBlue is not really that detectable from the outside. You can put it on your windshield, and its nearly impossible to tell that there is film on it, so its unlikely you will get pulled over for it. . Its more for IR heat blockage though. Makes a big difference.
The light blockage is minimal and you likely wont notice a different in that respect if thats what you are doing it for.

The airblue doesnt interfere with my Valentine1 radar detectors either. I have had good radar detector sensitivity with all the Llumar non metallic films, and Formula One Pinnacle.

I have had AirBlue on three cars. None of them have that blue tint that is in that picture posted above.
Its a great product. Its looks clear from the outside because its a 78% light transmission. AmpedRealtor is correct that tint on windshield is iillegal in most states (unless you get a medical waiver note), but the AirBlue is not really that detectable from the outside. You can put it on your windshield, and its nearly impossible to tell that there is film on it, so its unlikely you will get pulled over for it. . Its more for IR heat blockage though. Makes a big difference.
The light blockage is minimal and you likely wont notice a different in that respect if thats what you are doing it for.

The airblue doesnt interfere with my Valentine1 radar detectors either. I have had good radar detector sensitivity with all the Llumar non metallic films, and Formula One Pinnacle.

Thanks RL!

do you find yours to have a lot of reflection from the outside or inside? Someone in the tint thread felt that it reflected the dash more than without a film. Sorry if this is a dumb question- we have never done a windshield tint before!

RL nailed it. No blue reflection on my MC Red. The AB80 is practically undetectable except for the blue/pink coloration of some parts of the sky when wearing polarized sunglasses. I've gotten used to it, but if it bothers, try non-polarized driving sunglasses. I have not noticed it reflects the dash.

thanks for all the info. thankfully i do not like polarized sunglasses.

i don't use a public transponder like EZ pass or Fast pass, but i do have a private transponder mounted to our windshields for our gated community. i wonder if i'll have an issue with the transponder inside the tesla ...

I have AB on the front windows of my MC Red S85 (only legal option in CA). Also do not see any kind of tint or reflectiveness.

O

Not sure where you heard Air blue is legal as its not in Cali. I too have Air Blue on my windshield but don't be fooled that its legal. Its light enough you should be able to get away with it though.

Actually very few states have anything more than a strip legal on the front windshield.

http://www.iwfa.com/Portals/0/PDFDocs/Law_Charts/Window_Tint_State_Law_Chart_2014.pdf

I did not say windshield, I said front windows--the ones one the front doors. :) CA requires 70% VLT on front windows, so most tints are not legal; AB 80 is one of the few things you can put on your front windows legally.

O

Sorry misread that as title of thread was about windshield.

According to the DMV the following applies which from what I have understood as the material (film) has to be 88% (Air Blue is 78%) and combined with the glass (glazing) can be as low as 70% if its an AS-14 glazing. Just like every other law in Cali thats pretty cryptic and I can't see how any LEO could tell you whats what once installed even with a VLT test against it since the material would have to be tested separately from the window. The CHP says nothing is legal on the side windows but I would not take that as fact over the DMV, they just don't like tint for safety to their officers. Either or AB on side windows is very unlikely to get you a ticket anyway unless you run into a really angry CHP officer that thinks they know best.

DMV
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.
(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

CHP

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

• The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.