Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay GLITCH...

Took it out to test 5.8. Won't go willingly into Low, however, on three attempts in a state of regen north of 50mph I was able to manually select Low and it let me have it. Further, when dropping down below 25mph (normally this would raise the car back to Standard), it stayed in low... even when fully stopped. Put the car in Park, back into Drive, and picked up speed again -- stayed in Low the whole time.

Tried nearly a dozen attempts, and only three times did it take my request to go into Low.

Also tested Very High, High, and Standard settings. They all behaved properly as before v5.8. As many of you know, you can hear the air suspension adding air in to raise the car when at appropriate speeds or below for each of the settings. You never hear it when it lowers itself though.

Pulled into home with car in Low, got out to look at it, and it really didn't look like it was actually in Low. Got back in to put it into Standard ride height, and the car physically did nothing. So I suspect the screen might have been indicating it was in Low, when it really wasn't.

Anyone else seeing any anomalies with this? BTW, I have vid too to show this state. Waiting for it upload to the cloud first.

EDIT: To clarify, the glitch I suggest is in that I was able to get it into Low, from v5.8. But had to fight the car to get it there. See video post (#69) below capturing the aftermath of being in Low

5.9 here we come. ;)

Last edited:
Hmm, disabling the freeway lowering, if it's not a bug, seems like an implied admission that Tesla believes there is a problem when the car is lowered at freeway speeds. Not that having something like that be a bug is good either :(

I would like to have the ability to have the car automatically go into low at highway speeds and have the ride height manually selectable. I think this will be the case with 5.9 (6.X). I would also have liked TM to tell me this was a feature loss (even if temporary in 5.8).

However, I believe TM is doing the right thing at this juncture as the common link for fires #1 and #3 were
air suspensions/low settings/highway speeds/road debris. It can be debated that even at a higher ride height setting that the same problem may have occurred but I believe TM is attempting to ensure (maybe even test) that another similar fire does not occur under similar circumstances in the near future. I also realize that the sample size is too small to make accurate predictions about how many of these incidents will/should occur moving forward.

Once TM has more data (number of highway miles driven with/without problems with road debris) then they can determine IF there should be any actions taken to try to ensure battery integrity.
The outcome could be:

1. Reestablish ride heights as in 4.5
2. Auto ride heights with selectable overrides
3. Further physical protection for the battery pack

Last edited:
I disagree. Removing Low from the UI entirely would perhaps imply that.
Like I said, unless this is a glitch, Tesla changed this on purpose. That's an admission low at freeway speeds had some problem otherwise they wouldn't have changed it. Whether that problem is giving high clearance for road debris can only be speculated.

No... I doubt this is a glitch too.

However, by my post above, I'm stating/suggesting is that getting it into Low, is now the glitch. As I don't think they want us in Low at all - for the time being at least.

Here's a Video of how it's not behaving correctly... particularly after I get it into low coming off 57 mph, then it just stayed there, as this video shows it stays there, when it should not. Sorry, I wasn't able to capture the act of setting this to low - at speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO Tesla has decided to make this change to work out the situation with NHTSA. I think that for the time being it will work. It's a change that can be done via firmware and is almost costless. I am sure that in the future Tesla will make some structural changes to the Model S that will improve also the performance and handling of the Model S allowing again the air suspension to lower at high speeds.

Maybe I'm too insensitive to feel it but I can't tell if or when the car lowers. I do have the air suspension.

No... I doubt this is a glitch too.

However, by my post above, I'm stating/suggesting is that getting it into Low, is now the glitch. As I don't think they want us in Low at all - for the time being at least.

Here's a Video of how it's not behaving correctly... particularly after I get it into low coming off 57 mph, then it just stayed there, as this video shows it stays there, when it should not. Sorry, I wasn't able to capture the act of setting this to low - at speed.

I don't think this glitch is specific to 5.8. I've had weird UI bugs like this before. If you push things to quickly or switch things really fast back and forth it gets confused. Probably just some bad UI programming with regards to concurrency and synchronization.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not. For example, I choose to interpret this as a PR move not a safety or technical issue rationale.

The thing that ticks me off about them is when they change things without telling anyone (like those previous fog light and alcantara removal issues or when they remove promised features from the web site) but now existing features we paid for being removed in software without any warning or mention in the release notes? This is totally uncalled for....this is totally overstepping they're boundaries. Now I'm starting to get really pissed. I'll give them 48 hours to make a statement before I call them up and rip them a new one and request a refund for the price of the useless air suspension.

Updated to 5.8 this morning. I was able to get mine to lower by selecting "Low" when driving about 40 mph. I could go back and forth between "Low" and "Standard" using the touchscreen. If I selected "High," I'd get the normal double beep above 20 mph. I wasn't on the highway, so I don't know what it would do there.

It would be nice if we could manually select ride height at any speed.