Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After the M3 Reveal, Who Regrets Their Recent Model S Purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No regrets after one year ownership of a CPO.

The difficult decision will be when CPO warranty runs out...keep the 2013 Model S or get the Model 3 with Ludicrous mode. Even though I have gone through too many cars, it might be different with the Model S. My family agrees that this is the best car I have owned so I have buy in there. The trade in value will most likely make me keep the Model S, even if I have to pay for repairs out of warranty.

We've had our S P85 since early 2013, and received our new S 100D in March (for around $116K).

We're planning to purchase a Model 3-310 in Oct-Dec to replace the S P85 (for $58-59.5K).

Do we regret purchasing the S 100D at almost 2X the price - NO!

The 100D is a larger car with more than 2X storage in the rear trunk, faster acceleration, free supercharging, air suspension, sunroof, AM/XM radio, ...

We plan to use the S 100D for road trips and most family driving. The 3-310 will likely be used mostly for my wife's commute to work - and a road trip only if she needs to drive somewhere on her own.

We'd like to have a larger and smaller vehicle. We had looked at the Model X. The X has less range than the Model S - plus you can fit two sets of golf clubs in the S trunk sideways - something you can't do in the X and likely won't be able to do in the 3.

So having both an S and 3 make sense - at least for us...

We've had our S P85 since early 2013, and received our new S 100D in March (for around $116K).

The 100D is a larger car with more than 2X storage in the rear trunk, faster acceleration, free supercharging, air suspension, sunroof, AM/XM radio, ...

Yep, the M3 will feel a bit slow in comparison to my Model S :) The air suspension is a feature I hope comes to M3 soon.

I am excited to see what interior refresh and upgrades the Model S will be getting!

So far it looks like every MS owner that has chimed in has no regrets. If the Model S is indeed safer than the M3, I definitely don't have any regrets. You can't put a price on safety.

There is no question, in my mind, that the MS interior is better. Door and back seat pockets I don't want or need. Not liking the iPad or dash better by a long shot. That wouldn't stop me from buying an M3. I don't really like to spend money, so it would be impossible for me to justify a Model S purchase if the Model 3 was available. I'm one of those buyers that bought way out of my normal price range and I'm glad I did. YOLO!

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Seriously? I'm fairly certain you do so, implicitly, multiple times a day every day. Otherwise you would have been bankrupted by safety on Day 1. If people were actually willing to pay any price for safety there'd certainly be no shortage of people willing to sell it to them accordingly.
It's just a saying. I should have clarified it better for the literalists out there.

It's just a saying. I should have clarified it better for the literalists out there.
I don't know what your specific intent was, but people frequently use such "sayings" in straw-man arguments that safety issues trump all else, unconditionally. And that's just not true. There's nothing magical about safety -- it's just one more concern that people weigh.

I don't know what your specific intent was, but people frequently use such "sayings" in straw-man arguments that safety issues trump all else, unconditionally. And that's just not true. There's nothing magical about safety -- it's just one more concern that people weigh.
My point was that I put a high value on safety.

A couple of examples:
I wanted to get a $10,000 used Leaf to tide me over until the Model 3 came out, but then I decided I would get a $70,000 Model S instead, because I figured it would be a much safer car. I didn't get a CPO because the ones I was looking at didn't have AEB or any semi-autonomous safety features. Ironically I bought a brand new Model S and it didn't have AEB or AP either, at least for a few months. I guess if I didn't put a price on safety, I would have sold it and got something else, until the safety features were enabled.

If the 3 was out, readily available and available in dual motor version in March I would have given it serious consideration, but the wife would likely have preferred the S for the extra space. No real regrets on the S beyond the performance/pricing updates that occurred right after purchase, but oh well, happens and things progress.

I bought the MS 60 before the price increase and only got EAP so the price with referral credit without doc fee is $70,000. If I get the earliest production M3 with long range, premium package and EAP it would cost $54,000. That's without free supercharging and less mileage warranty on the battery and drive unit. It technically cost close to my MS, while people are raving about the M3 test drive. I am still unsure how well actual production M3 will be on real roads. The first batch of M3 likely be personally inspected by Elon Musk and other executives to be of perfection as it move into mass production reliability can become more of an issue.