Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, those are a trip!
What are they made of that can be strong and heat resistant enough while being transparent?

Polycarbonate. They're Dvinci Forgiato Radurra wheels. http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/12/06/the-dvinci-forgiato-radurra-see-through-rims/

I too wonder about heat resistance and strength. Let's not forget about brake ventilation, UV exposure, and cleaning.

Despite this, I'm assuming that given the material used it must be much lighter in terms of weight. While the focus in achieving the 320 mile range has been based on wind resistance, I'm sure that weight would play a role too; plus handing could be better because of less unsprung weight.

What about the wheel fairings used in Formula One? http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4447

kjv6au6s1.jpg

Last edited:
You know, I completely don't care about looks.

...but around here, what I need is traction. Crappy roads, winter, and a state speed limit of 65 mph mean the considerations are not the same here as they might be elsewhere. And the way wheels increase range is by reducing traction, so forget the "long range wheels". :p

I'll have to watch out for the way the 19-inch wheels extend past the protective cover, but I've had a car like that before...

EDIT: if on the other hand it's just more-aerodynamic hubcaps, I'd totally go for that!

Anyone seen the Peugeot HX1 Concept? I saw it in this month's Top Gear Magazine. It has wheel spokes that "open" to create a flat disc. Looks great, when they're open for showing off the car or slow speed driving. Close them up, when you need the range. Looks like a brilliant idea.

- mnx

I like those see through wheels, but not so much at $5k each.
No need to worry about brake ventilation!
If you are getting these wheels to increase range, you will be coasting and regenning as much as possible, and using the friction brakes as little as possible, so they shouldn't get that hot.

Here's the left side, note that when the wheel is rolling forward, the air would be pushed away like a fan.
Left.JPG

While on the right side, the air gets sucked in.
Right.JPG

In order for both sides to push out, you would need two different wheels and you wouldn't be able to rotate your tires without removing the tires from the wheels.

Too many spokes to clean on that Audi wheel... Brake dust makes wheels look horrible. Although I suppose that people will be using regen braking as much as possible so that should minimize brake dust accumulation.

Yea, I would think that the aerodynamic wheels would not be the turbine style. I'm not sure I'll be interested in them, but I do hope they can look good and be aerodynamic.

Dan at the Seattle store told me that the 320 mile wheels are going to be a flat plate design.

This makes the most aerodynamic sense.

Two questions:

(1) How attractive can flat plate wheels really be?
(2) Why pay more money for less attractive wheels that only net you a 7% bump in range?

To me it seems like the only people paying up for the wheels would be people who make 301 mile trips on a routine basis.