Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice needed for Dad’s 2013 Model S

Should I sell as is or invest in a new battery,etc and then sell?

• Sell as is for parts

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Replace the battery then sell

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Fix it up and keep it or you’ll be sorry

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 Tesla Model S
I need advice…
My dad was an early adopter- his 2013 Model S is numbered in the 6000’s. He is 87 and had a stroke 2 years ago. The Tesla was not driven for those 2 years, and now, the battery is dead. Last day he drove it, was a rainy day and he left his umbrella in the airtight car, which has caused mildew to form on the leather seats. Yikes!
Tesla has quoted $17,000 for a new battery. I’m wondering if it is worth it to bring it back up to speed in order to sell it, or to just sell it for parts.
It’s heartbreaking to consider the latter, because Dad was so proud of this car and took great care of it. It’s a black 4D, and beautiful, body is in great shape, but it’s got 112,484 miles on it.
Anyone have any advice?
Thank you 😊

Reactions: Gixx1300R
2013 Tesla Model S
I need advice…
My dad was an early adopter- his 2013 Model S is numbered in the 6000’s. He is 87 and had a stroke 2 years ago. The Tesla was not driven for those 2 years, and now, the battery is dead. Last day he drove it, was a rainy day and he left his umbrella in the airtight car, which has caused mildew to form on the leather seats. Yikes!
Tesla has quoted $17,000 for a new battery. I’m wondering if it is worth it to bring it back up to speed in order to sell it, or to just sell it for parts.
It’s heartbreaking to consider the latter, because Dad was so proud of this car and took great care of it. It’s a black 4D, and beautiful, body is in great shape, but it’s got 112,484 miles on it.
Anyone have any advice?
Thank you 😊
Contact Jason Hughes at 057 Technology he has much better prices than Tesla

Reactions: Takumi
Are you absolutely certain the battery is dead? If no power at all, you could try to jump the 12V to see if the car wakes up. As for the battery, definitely contact 057 Tech. Even shipping the car to him, it will be cheaper than going through Tesla.

If the car was a running 2013 85D, it would probably fetch around $25k in the current market. Could probably bump that up a little with a refurb/new battery.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
My personal opinion:

The 2013 MS mostly had lifelong free supercharging. This is a valuable car. My own MSP is from 2014. We put in a new battery because it was slow to charge - only at the supercharger. Otherwise it is great, even after 450,000 km.

This is the kind of car you hand down to your oldest son or grandson. My son got the car when he was 18. Ad a student it is great not to have to pay for gas. (I do not mean to discriminate girls, it is just a matter of speech - daughters equally welcome).

So if the car has supercharging free, consider keeping it in the family and handing it down to those in need of a great car which costs very little.

Depending on the issue causing it to not drive, it may be repairable. Sitting for years will cause it to discharge a lot, but it usually just goes into a bit of a hibernation mode and in theory should be fine for several years without actual damage. Hard to tell, but since you're in Atlanta you're not far. Let's get the car here for diagnostics and go from there. If repairable, I don't think it'd cost you more than a few $k. If needs replacing, would depend on the what's wrong with the core pack, but worst we've run into lately is about $11k for a partially flooded core pack.

We've also got a ton of seats and other interior parts in stock, so if it turns out the pack is repairable or replaceable for a reasonable amount, and you want to swap interior parts, we can work you a decent deal on that stuff too.

Shoot us on a note on our contact page if interested in this route.

Long time Tesla owner here. We also have a 2013 and I came across this thread. Ours is stock and battery still has over 230 miles at 85% or so. So not all that much in degradation. I saw the comments on value, $25k sounds low if the lifetime charging is worth something you would think. Ours has only 30k miles. No mistake. My wife hardly used it. We are inclined to just keep it but have 3 cars now. So trying to find out what our long term options are.

Long time Tesla owner here. We also have a 2013 and I came across this thread. Ours is stock and battery still has over 230 miles at 85% or so. So not all that much in degradation. I saw the comments on value, $25k sounds low if the lifetime charging is worth something you would think. Ours has only 30k miles. No mistake. My wife hardly used it. We are inclined to just keep it but have 3 cars now. So trying to find out what our long term options are.

That's 270.5 at 100%!

I had 265 on my '15 with twice the miles when I sold it, so it's possible you actually have very little degradation.

Where else can you have a car with free fuel for life?

Keep it!