Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting the adjustable suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the only adjustable suspension available the Sport suspension directly from Tesla? Can aftermarket Bilsteins either PSS10 or ASN be used as upgrades?
Tesla built the suspension from scratch, so I would strongly doubt that any non-Tesla suspension currently available can be added. Of course, some aftermarket guys might come with an offering in the future.

Further (beyond the UI) way to adjust the Model S Suspension to make it stiffer?

I know its been over a year since this thread has been touched so I hope there are those who are still 'following' it...
There is no Performance Discussion for the Model S (maybe there should be), so I figured that guys who frequent this Performance Discussion may know a thing or two about DIY tweaking of cars in general. I know next to nothing! I have a Model S-Performance and know that through the user interface you can push a button for suspension to be soft, standard or performance. "Problem" is that on performance, I'd consider the suspension "soft" which, I know, is the intent of Tesla because those who want a car that insulates them from the road far out number those who want to feel it. BUT there are different strokes for different folks so I'll get to my question
... is there a Tesla-approved or non Tesla-considered (that would not invalidate the warranty) way to adjust the suspension to make it stiffer for the twisties? :confused:

I just cross posted this question in the Model S forum as well (here)
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ension-to-make-it-stiffer?p=244918#post244918

Last edited:
Just read thru this whole thread and very helpful as I get my 2.5 sport delivered in about a week, after spending almost 5 years and +28k miles in my 1.5 non-sport. Can't wait to have a car with a decent suspension that I can tune, the 1.5 is awful, springs that are too soft and dampers that are too harsh, this going to be fun and you guys have helped me with a base setting, thanks.

I already posted in an older thread, but this one seems to have more useful information. I just had an alignment done. Actually, my second - the first was to get more negative camber in the rear and replace the control arm bushings with polyurethane instead of rubber. That made a big improvement in handling. I just had V2 steering arms installed to get more negative camber in the front. Here's where it ended up:

Alignment-20140708.jpg

I haven't had a chance to test this setup, but it looks pretty close to richkae's.

Should I be worried about my slightly out of spec cross-caster?

I have a 1.5 with the adjustable suspension upgrade. Can someone tell me how to adjust the front sway bar? I had one side of the car jacked up, and tried to get the bolt out, but it seemed like there was too much pressure on the two parts and I couldn't get the bolt to budge. I was afraid if I hit it with the hammer that I'd never be able to line up the holes to get the bolt back in. Is this something that needs to be done with all 4 wheels in the air? Mine is currently in the middle and I'd like to try the outside hole.

I set my adjustable suspension from 5 front / 6 rear to 1 / 2 for a softer daily drive. I didn't think it would have as much impact, but was pleasantly surprised. It really tamed the beast! My wife even noticed and commented that it felt much better.

I have a 1.5 with the adjustable suspension upgrade. Can someone tell me how to adjust the front sway bar? I had one side of the car jacked up, and tried to get the bolt out, but it seemed like there was too much pressure on the two parts and I couldn't get the bolt to budge. I was afraid if I hit it with the hammer that I'd never be able to line up the holes to get the bolt back in. Is this something that needs to be done with all 4 wheels in the air? Mine is currently in the middle and I'd like to try the outside hole.

I set my adjustable suspension from 5 front / 6 rear to 1 / 2 for a softer daily drive. I didn't think it would have as much impact, but was pleasantly surprised. It really tamed the beast! My wife even noticed and commented that it felt much better.

Jacking just one side puts a huge amount of pressure on your sway bar, so you would not be able to get the bolt out in that position. I drive my front wheels up onto 2" thick planks, both sides equally on a flat level garage floor. Then it's easy to reach under. You might have to turn the wheels a little.