Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable Suspension Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for adjustable suspension for MYP, don’t want to go the air ride route.

I know there are plenty of adjustable coilovers sets, however I’m not familiar with the ease of adjusting coilovers. From the research I’ve done it’s not a easy process.

I’m looking for something that can be adjusted remotely (couldn’t find anything like this myself) or something that I can easily/quickly do myself bearing in mind I have zero know how and properly don’t have the right tools. I’m shocked in this day and age there’s nothing that out there that can be controlled from the comfort of our cars, now if I lived in a warm climate year round I’d be ok with air suspension kit.

I drive the car a lot and through all types of condition, around 30-40k miles per year. Love the way a lowered car looks, but at times I need it to be practical also.

Reactions: jsight
Other than air suspension, I'm now aware of an option for the Y.

Coilovers aren't the trickiest to change, but I bet you'd have to lift the car to get to them. I bet most people set them once and don't change them after that.
Yeah majority find settings their happy with and leave it at that. Everything I’ve seen shows either lifting the car or removing the wheels unfortunately.

I’m surprised no one’s figured out a way to just turn the the adjuster for coilovers remotely. Maybe I’m just being naive and it’s not possible at all, I know I’d pay a premium for it.

Reactions: jsight
I installed Redwood GT suspension on my previous M3 and loved it. Damping is adjustable in front under frunk and in rear without jacking. Literally takes seconds. Customer service is a little lacking but product quality is top notch.
Yeah I saw damping can be adjust easily, but it’s really the height I need to be able to adjust on the fly!

Air suspension is the only thing I know of that will do this.

Years ago when I was in HS hydrolics were a thing....then again so was MTV....it's amazing how things change.
I’m finding it difficult to believe there isn’t a possible solution with coilovers in this day and age. Maybe there’s no solution because their isn’t a market for it who knows or would make it most hassle than it’s worth or cost.

Air setup just won’t survive the winters on the east coast I’m pretty sure.

I’m open to lowering springs, but quite often I’ll have to transport 200/300lbs I’m the trunk and I’ve heard the aftermarket springs will make it sag pretty bad. Also does nothing for the comfort either.

What makes you think this is the case?
Just from the research I’ve done, most recommend against using it in harsh climates.

I’m sure there are exceptions. But I also don’t like the idea of all the maintenence that is supposedly required with after market system.

Also this is a daily, so need to go the more reliable route if possible.

Just from the research I’ve done, most recommend against using it in harsh climates.

I’m sure there are exceptions. But I also don’t like the idea of all the maintenence that is supposedly required with after market system.

Also this is a daily, so need to go the more reliable route if possible.
I’m a born and raised New Yorker and still reside here. While I personally prefer a static setup, hence why I’m also running the Redwood Ohlins DFV suspension on my MYP, I have a few friends who run aftermarket airbags on their year round daily drivers. The key to it being they make sure to keep their lines as dry as possible; which I understand isn’t very hard on a quality aftermarket system.

I know KW, Tein and some others make remote adjustable dampening coilovers. I don’t know of anyone who offers remote adjustable height on their coilovers.

Reactions: 240vPlug and dav21
I’m a born and raised New Yorker and still reside here. While I personally prefer a static setup, hence why I’m also running the Redwood Ohlins DFV suspension on my MYP, I have a few friends who run aftermarket airbags on their year round daily drivers. The key to it being they make sure to keep their lines as dry as possible; which I understand isn’t very hard on a quality aftermarket system.

I know KW, Tein and some others make remote adjustable dampening coilovers. I don’t know of anyone who offers remote adjustable height on their coilovers.
Yeah I don't see how they would make it height adjustable remotely. All the kits available now that support ride height adjustment actually require dismounting to adjust ride height.

If your concerned about durability of air bags why not contact some vendors and research their warranties and reviews?

Yeah I don't see how they would make it height adjustable remotely. All the kits available now that support ride height adjustment actually require dismounting to adjust ride height.

If your concerned about durability of air bags why not contact some vendors and research their warranties and reviews?
I think air bags just ain’t going to be it for me, too much risk for me to daily.

Reactions: 240vPlug
I think I may have another option that might work. But I do t have the knowledge to know for sure, so I’m asking around here hoping someone can chime in.

I recently upgraded my tires on my MYP to 265/40/21 & 295/40/21 so this helped close the wheel cap somewhat. However in doing so I also increased the ride height less than an inch I believe will find out exact difference if people say in theory this may work. my thought is can I get coilovers and lower it the same amount of the height I just increased with the new setup ?

Example ride height increased an inch so I’ll be able to lower the car at least a half inch without having any rubbing issues ?

I wish I could just lower it like everyone else, but I need to be practical with it also as it’s my daily and drive 30k miles yearly.

TIA for any ibout!

I think I may have another option that might work. But I do t have the knowledge to know for sure, so I’m asking around here hoping someone can chime in.

I recently upgraded my tires on my MYP to 265/40/21 & 295/40/21 so this helped close the wheel cap somewhat. However in doing so I also increased the ride height less than an inch I believe will find out exact difference if people say in theory this may work. my thought is can I get coilovers and lower it the same amount of the height I just increased with the new setup ?

Example ride height increased an inch so I’ll be able to lower the car at least a half inch without having any rubbing issues ?

I wish I could just lower it like everyone else, but I need to be practical with it also as it’s my daily and drive 30k miles yearly.

TIA for any ibout!
it's daily I must add as well so no worries on that

Model S, X have air suspension and can alter ride height from inside the car, as does Rivan R1T and R1S.
Short of air suspension that is electronically controlled, I dont think you can achieve ride height adjustability on the go.
Damper adjustment on the Ohlins is super easy (seconds, no tools) while ride height is a shop visit and hours of work.

Reactions: dav21
I'd suggest you evaluate how often you drive the car in what setting/condition and build it to be functional in that setting and live with it not being more lowered. Building the car to be a swiss army knife, is either stupid expensive (if there's even a solution) or you end up making compromise against what you actually use it most often for. Meaning if you end up compromising on functionality during your daily drive..you're going to notice it every damn day

Reactions: dav21 and Kwame
I have air on my Model 3LR. Best investment but I am also biased as

I have air on my Model 3LR. Best investment but I am also biased as I have done air on all my vehicles.
Hey, do you have a link or make and model of the air suspension package you installed. Looking at a model 3 but ride height is an issue for a very small portion of my driving. Would like to be able to increase the ride height for the 5km or so that I need it then lower to keep the efficiency.