Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding second charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got my second Tesla, up until now I’ve used my mobile connector to charge mS with 240v plug on 60Am breaker, now I bought a wall connector for the mX and need to have that installed.
My question is if I can keep the original 240 wall plug and split it to use with wall connector, so at night I can plug both of S/X and charge them simultaneously or in whatever order without me going to the garage and plugging in second car.
I know there is a video on how to install 2 wall connectors when one operating as a “slave” and that is not what I’d like to do..
Any advice? thank you

I’ve got my second Tesla, up until now I’ve used my mobile connector to charge mS with 240v plug on 60Am breaker, now I bought a wall connector for the mX and need to have that installed.
My question is if I can keep the original 240 wall plug and split it to use with wall connector, so at night I can plug both of S/X and charge them simultaneously or in whatever order without me going to the garage and plugging in second car.
I know there is a video on how to install 2 wall connectors when one operating as a “slave” and that is not what I’d like to do..
Any advice? thank you

No go. You can do it and limit the current in the cars as needed, but it's really, really bad practice and very inconvenient. Probably more inconvenient than plugging in one car at time.

If you want to do it right, get a 2nd wall connector and it will dynamically do the optimum thing with 100% safety.

You've spent on the order of $200K on Tesla's why cheap out on another ~$600 or so?

I have two Tesla HPWC on two separate circuits. One in the garage and one in the shop. I had one fuze blow in garage charger but having the second backup saved the day. FYI the chargers take a special fuze JJN-200 FAST BLOW. I suggest that everyone have at least a backup 50 amp plug to use as a alternate source in a emergency.

Reactions: VictorD
I have two Tesla HPWC on two separate circuits. One in the garage and one in the shop. I had one fuze blow in garage charger but having the second backup saved the day. FYI the chargers take a special fuze JJN-200 FAST BLOW. I suggest that everyone have at least a backup 50 amp plug to use as a alternate source in a emergency.

You mean to install a sub panel in the garage?

I originally put in a 240 volt circuit with 50amp breakers and used charger that came with x. Then Tesla sent a hpwc to me.
We added 2x100 amp breakers to panel and
Used 1gauge wire. I kept the original 50amp circuit Incase issues with hpwc. My original main panel was 200, but derated to 175
for safety. (I have 44 solar panels with micro processors)

Thank you everyone for sharing.
It would be a great idea to keep the 240v for one more reason as you guys mentioned just in case something will go wrong with wall charger and I’d still be able to charge at my home without driving to SC.

Thank you everyone for sharing.
It would be a great idea to keep the 240v for one more reason as you guys mentioned just in case something will go wrong with wall charger and I’d still be able to charge at my home without driving to SC.

I never take the Mobile charger and adapters out of the car. I live in fear of not having it in the car when I am somewhere that there is 120 or 240 power outlet and I want/need to charge the car. Probably irrational, but that is my story.

Reactions: StanMI and VictorD
I guess there not a single solution for my situation. You did installed a separate panel in the shop and took 2x50amp lines for HPWC? My main panel is at 200amp and my biggest power consumption now is Dryer and mS.

I think to install a second panel over 60amp I’d have to make changes to my garage, in terms of by-law, I’d like to avoid that. Legal, safe but without going to crazy about it.

I do have a sub panel in the shop, 125amp. My point is to have a second source of charging if your HPWC goes down for what ever reason. In my case I have two HPWCs on separate circuits. I think if I were in the situation of having only one HPWC available I would install a 50 amp wall plug as a backup.

Any advice? thank you

On the other hand, if I can keep the 240v and extend a foot of the wire to instal Wall connector. Technically I’d have power in both the 240v plug and a wall connector. Now when I plug in my mS and mX I can have the time set thru the app or screen to start charging at different times, one at 7pm, another one at 2am. This way I’d avoid of buying a second wall plug or running a new wire with a new breaker for the second charger.
Is there anyone who had this configuration and it works?
Thank you

On the other hand, if I can keep the 240v and extend a foot of the wire to instal Wall connector. Technically I’d have power in both the 240v plug and a wall connector. Now when I plug in my mS and mX I can have the time set thru the app or screen to start charging at different times, one at 7pm, another one at 2am. This way I’d avoid of buying a second wall plug or running a new wire with a new breaker for the second charger.
Is there anyone who had this configuration and it works?
Thank you
I would not do that on a single circuit.

if the timing doesn’t work you will trip a breaker best case. Melt a wire (and whatever goes with that) worst case.

Don’t be cheap.

my timers stopped working with the last firmware update. Fixed after a reboot, but that’s too late if you are counting on it.

Thank you.
I guess the easiest will be is to run another wire on a separate breaker 60amp, connect new wall connector for mX and keep using the 240v plug with mobile connector for mS. I could charge at the same time or separate times. No safety concerns, and if the wall connector fails I can still charge it.

Thank you.
I guess the easiest will be is to run another wire on a separate breaker 60amp, connect new wall connector for mX and keep using the 240v plug with mobile connector for mS. I could charge at the same time or separate times. No safety concerns, and if the wall connector fails I can still charge it.
That would be my top vote as long as your main panel has capacity! Safe & provides a backup.

In the first post it was mentioned that an outlet has a 60a breaker? It really should have a 50a breaker to match the rating of the outlet.

I have a single HPWC, adding a second in master/slave mode because I don't have main panel capacity and I have a special EV rate that gives me 50a max. I'll depend on friends and/or a standard outlet for backup. But I don't drive much so it wouldn't be a big deal.

My old S usually charges at 40a so I never use the full 50 of 60amp
I’m trying rum different scenarios before installing it. Buying the second wall connector is an easy task, but it will be a more complex installation with master/slave set up (it looks great and makes sense)
But looking at the benefits of having 240v plug I can always use with any kind of charger in case of emergency makes more sense to me. Charging speed should not be affected too.

Reactions: 365gtb4
My old S usually charges at 40a so I never use the full 50 of 60amp
I’m trying rum different scenarios before installing it. Buying the second wall connector is an easy task, but it will be a more complex installation with master/slave set up (it looks great and makes sense)
But looking at the benefits of having 240v plug I can always use with any kind of charger in case of emergency makes more sense to me. Charging speed should not be affected too.

If you have the capacity to put in a WC on a new 60a breaker you don’t need to worry about the master/slave thing.

In the winter I won’t have any problems, dryer is the only big appliance I have. For the summer from June-September when we use A/C time will tell, but I can still time my chargers thru the app. Only In case it will trip the breaker I will need to add second Wall Connector.
For now running the second wire and 60amp breaker so use my best option.
Thank you everyone for sharing your experience.