Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Volume for Audio system and GPS Voice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems strange that this isn't standard in such a nice car, but there doesn't seem to be any adaptive or relative volume on the Model S.

The volume levels for the Audio system and GPS voice seems fixed to the "levels" that you can set. I want the following features that seem missing

1. Adaptive volume level, subtly increase the volume and modify the EQ slightly to alter for speed changes and preferably internal noise levels (road noise, wind noise, etc), adapt both up and down Ex:freeway to quiet city roads or vice versa

2. Have the GPS voice volume relative to the Audio system volume level. If I set the Audio system at 4 and the GPS at 3, increasing the audio to 5 should also increase the Nav volume relatively without me having to keep changing it.

Any indication that this has been brought up before and Tesla are working on this or plan on rolling something out. I would think the second one is a relatively easy fix. The first might require a bit more than just a quick fix.

Both of these should be easy for them to implement as a user configuration (in a secondary/advanced settings menu?). All of the sensors and signals are there...just a little software :)

A third item that I'd REALLY like to see is an option to automatically pause whatever is playing (especially a talking program) when the GPS voice butts in. And then back up a second or so on the audio program when it resumes.

Well, considering how loud the MX gets when doing over 65 MPH form road and wind noise, there could be a significant increase in volume, unlike my Cayenne diesel.

What they really should implement is an active noise-cancelling system, like the Bose Headphones. With this technology, ambient noise is cancelled out while the audio is enhanced and clear.

What I am not sure about is the impact of that on normal conversation, which also needs to increase in volume with the noise of the car.

The difference in the ambient noise between the S and the X is one of the features I envy greatly.

Well, considering how loud the MX gets when doing over 65 MPH form road and wind noise, there could be a significant increase in volume, unlike my Cayenne diesel.

The difference in the ambient noise between the S and the X is one of the features I envy greatly.

While my S is pretty quiet below 50, but the noise level rises sharply up to 70. At 80, the I can barely hear the stereo without increasing the volume quite a bit. At 100, I need to crank the volume up to 10 just to hear anything. Conversations are by shouting. At 125, I may as well turn off the stereo. At 150, I'm "carefully" reaching for the earplugs. Both because of the noise level and my passenger shouting at me to slow down.

I have put less than 1000 miles on my MS w/ 21s but.......
OMG the car is quiet. There is nothing about the ride if the car that compares to an ICE vehicle. My engine note was nice but I like the isolation and lack of vibration from the MS. Just MHO but its a very quiet car.

OMG the car is quiet. There is nothing about the ride if the car that compares to an ICE vehicle. My engine note was nice but I like the isolation and lack of vibration from the MS. Just MHO but its a very quiet car.

I take it those 1000 miles were not on the freeway? I can barely hear the system on some of the freeways here in CA and that is with the super quiet 19's and solid roof. I can only imagine how it would be on the 21 with the glass roof at 60-70mph.

Its really a simple fix IMO, just increase the volume and modify the EQ slightly as speed increases. I'm not asking for fancy noise cancellation, just a simple software fix to do this.

Reactions: Lee_B and Gur814
I for one would HATE automatic volume increase. I like to set the volume where I want it and will adjust it as necessary. I also have no problem with the road/wind noise at highway speeds. Haven't had my car up to 100 mph (where a previous poster indicated the car is really loud), but there aren't any public roads you can legally drive a Tesla 100 mph in the US anyway....

I for one would HATE automatic volume increase. I like to set the volume where I want it and will adjust it as necessary. I also have no problem with the road/wind noise at highway speeds. Haven't had my car up to 100 mph (where a previous poster indicated the car is really loud), but there aren't any public roads you can legally drive a Tesla 100 mph in the US anyway....

It will be something you can enable/disable.

I am not sure what you drove before, but this is just about the first time I have EVER heard that the Model S is quiet on a freeway at any legal freeway speed, be it 60 or 80.

Reactions: Gur814
My 2013 Honda Fit that I was leasing prior to getting my Model S had this feature. It would automatically increase the volume as my speed rose and lower it back down again as I slowed down. I was pretty surprised when I couldn't find the setting in the Model S.

The Fit's implementation was basic but that's all I'd really need.

It seems strange that this isn't standard in such a nice car, but there doesn't seem to be any adaptive or relative volume on the Model S.

The volume levels for the Audio system and GPS voice seems fixed to the "levels" that you can set. I want the following features that seem missing

1. Adaptive volume level, subtly increase the volume and modify the EQ slightly to alter for speed changes and preferably internal noise levels (road noise, wind noise, etc), adapt both up and down Ex:freeway to quiet city roads or vice versa

2. Have the GPS voice volume relative to the Audio system volume level. If I set the Audio system at 4 and the GPS at 3, increasing the audio to 5 should also increase the Nav volume relatively without me having to keep changing it.

Any indication that this has been brought up before and Tesla are working on this or plan on rolling something out. I would think the second one is a relatively easy fix. The first might require a bit more than just a quick fix.

A bigger issue I've noticed with navigation issue(I'm pretty sure it's a bug):

1. The car attempts to lower music/whatever volume when giving navigation instructions but only seems to do so for the driver. That'd be somewhat OK, but

2. It seems to reduce the volume of both the music *and* the navigation itself. Even with navigation set to max and music volume at 7, the navigation instructions are completely inaudible. All I get is a random drop in volume of the music on the left side with no audible navigation instruction out of it.

A bigger issue I've noticed with navigation issue(I'm pretty sure it's a bug):

1. The car attempts to lower music/whatever volume when giving navigation instructions but only seems to do so for the driver. That'd be somewhat OK, but

2. It seems to reduce the volume of both the music *and* the navigation itself. Even with navigation set to max and music volume at 7, the navigation instructions are completely inaudible. All I get is a random drop in volume of the music on the left side with no audible navigation instruction out of it.
You either don't really have your nav volume set to max or there is something wrong with your car. Mine lowers the music volume on the driver's side and the nav is clearly audible even set well below max.

The GALA (speed-sensitive volume compensation) feature showed up on Audi and Mercedes vehicles in 1996. At this point it should be a no-brainer to have it as a feature. It's one of the big oversights on the S.
-
My 2007 Toyota pickup has it on the lowly CD player model stereo with the ole Union Jack style display. It just adjusts the volume based off the increase/decrease in voltage. It's a pretty nice feature; and not overly complicated.

Haven't had that feature on any car I've ever owned..from Kias and Datsuns to Lexus and other high end cars. Not a feature I need or care about. If Tesla wants to add the feature, fine but give us an option to disable it. Quite a first world problem when you can't adjust the volume yourself using that wheel on your steering wheel....

Interesting. Definitely didn't do it on my last car (that I sold when I bought the Tesla). I may have had it turned off but I know because the display would show the volume level (numeric) and I kept it at a given level for city driving and another one for highway driving and would manually raise/lower it.

My Lexus SC430, which is a hard top convertable is 4 db quieter than my MS at 70 MPH. There may not be any motor noise but the wind noise sits firmly between my Prius which is loud and my Lexus which is tomb vault quiet like at any speed. Note at 70 MPH I can't hear the engine on the Lexus even though wind noise is far lower than the Tesla.