Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally left the car open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why, but I often walk into my garage and see the green light on, even though the car is locked and the fob is not close enough to be detected. It happens regularly. And the car has been fully charged. It's just a solid green light. I hope it doesn't happen in the outside world. But I have no idea how to check it.

I believe that when the car is finished charging the green ring illuminates for a period of time because I have seen the same thing on occasion even with the car locked.

When I accidentally leave my car unlocked due to manual unlocking with the FOB, the dash console stays illuminated if it's plugged in.

So far we're lucky in that many people don't realize that when the handles are retracted the car might not be locked, there's no visual indicator that your car is unlocked, and that probably deters a bunch of people. As these cars get older and more common we'll lose that extra layer of security.

Wait so how DO you know the car is locked? On my Fusion, there is a red dot on the door that lights when the door is locked. Especially with the FOB in my pocket is this important as I have a visual confirmation it's locked as, of course, I grab the door it unlocks. Do you just have to have faith it is locked? Maybe throw the FOB far enough away that pushing on the handle and it doesn't present (kidding)?

Wait so how DO you know the car is locked? On my Fusion, there is a red dot on the door that lights when the door is locked. Especially with the FOB in my pocket is this important as I have a visual confirmation it's locked as, of course, I grab the door it unlocks. Do you just have to have faith it is locked? Maybe throw the FOB far enough away that pushing on the handle and it doesn't present (kidding)?

Look on your phone app. It will tell you if it is locked.
I left my fob in the car yesterday while in the OR. Realized it when I got there and was able to lock the car with the app. The handles would not present with a push and I had to unlock it with the app. Great feature for those who leave the fob in the car and cannot immediately return!