Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Tesla Hater just told me "Batteries Cause Cancer"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
flashflood: I personally realized that I am severely allergic to benzene. It gives me major, massive headaches. Apparently a lot of the more popular perfumes, colognes, body sprays, and air fresheners that have a 'long lasting' tag have benzene as a primary component of their solution. I think it is being substituted for alcohol in numerous formulas. Unfortunately, people who like 'the smell' of particular perfumes become immune to it. They don't realize the stuff is every bit as strong several hours after application as it was when they first put it on. So they reapply it and end up killing me.

I'm reminded of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide:
is also known as hydroxyl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.
addictive -- if you stop taking it you die
poisonous in large quantities
can interfere with breathing

Dihydrogen_monoxide

ROFLOL! :smile:

Thanks for posting,

GSP

may cause severe burns.

Dihydrogen_monoxide

I carry a storage canister around with me just in case I need to safely transport any!

may cause severe burns.

Dihydrogen_monoxide

No wonder Elon is so against hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, I hear that their Dihydrogen Monoxide emissions are off the scale?!?

Haters are going to hate, period.

At first this was somewhat upsetting or concerning to me, but I now view it as pretty funny. They are good for a laugh or two. :biggrin:

GSP

Exhaust

1. Diesel exhaust contain particles cause inflammatory diseases. Inflammation is the common link between many chronic diseases.
2. Diesel exhaust also contain carcinogenic aromatic hydrocarbons.
3.Gasoline fumes could cause a myriad of problems. The hydrocarbons are not metabolized by the body in any normal manner.
4. Carbondisulfide is one of the major component of fuel exhaust. Besides modifying body's proteins, they make them "antigenic" and could create autoantibodies (no pun intended!)
5. Electromagnetic radiation can't be simply ignored, a high capacity battery and an induction motor over a period of time could have effects (perhaps beneficial effects too). I wish it would induce 40Hz brain wave

Ever since I took deliver I feel like I've become an ambassador of sorts. I get questions about my car almost everyday (as I'm sure many of you do), and occasionally get a skeptic. Most of the skeptics I've come across are skeptical because they're not very informed. For example, I might hear "why would anyone want a car you can't use for road trips." They're clearly not informed.

Up until now I haven't found a skeptic that I wasn't able to inform and/or turn them into a believer. Until today that is...

Today's skeptic had me speechless. He asked me all the usually skeptic questions and then ended with this: "Well, I still think it's a bad idea. My brothers friend is studying to be an X-Ray technician and he said batteries can cause cancer. So why would anyone want to sit on thousands of cancer causing batteries when having just one in your pocket (referring to cell phones) can potentially kill you."

I was speechless... first off that sounds completely ludicrous to me, but I don't know. I've never heard of that, and just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean that it's not true. When I finally gathered my thoughts, I told him this:

"I don't know if that's true or not, but what I can tell you is that I've put 30,000 miles on my car in the last 9 months and I feel completely fine. Other then that I don't know what to say..."

Has anyone ever heard that argument before? is there any merit to it?

My scientific tool kit is telling me that it's BS. But what say you? What would you have said or what do you think?
Tesla batteries contain hazardous chemicals and heavy metals that are thought to contribute to cancer and neurological disease.

A battery in good condition is relatively safe. However if they leak, catch fire, or explode and their disposal can be an environmental and health hazard.

Haters are going to hate, period.

At first this was somewhat upsetting or concerning to me, but I now view it as pretty funny. They are good for a laugh or two. :biggrin:

GSP

Tesla batteries contain hazardous chemicals and heavy metals that are thought to contribute to cancer and neurological disease.

A battery in good condition is relatively safe. However if they leak, catch fire, or explode and their disposal can be an environmental and health hazard.

ROFLOL!!!! :biggrin:

GSP

The other metals in the battery (nickel, aluminum, cobalt) are not toxic in small doses -- unlike lead and mercury.
Get a clue. Absorption rate, type of exposure and time are important factors. People have tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide by ingesting large quantities of lead or mercury. Long-term exposure at low level, can be more harmful than short-term high levels of exposure.

Most are skeptical, but some scientists suspect aluminum is a causal factor for Alzheimer. Most agree that aluminum can increase breast cancer risk by mimicking estrogen.

Nickel is believed to be a carcinogen in low doses over long periods of time. Some of its compounds can be explosive and extremely toxic.

Cobalt was found to be toxic in low doses when it was added to beer. Long-term exposure can cause the heart to deteriorate and fail.

My car had EMF problems today:

EMF Problem.jpg

The other metals in the battery (nickel, aluminum, cobalt) are not toxic in small doses -- unlike lead and mercury.
According to Tesla's First Responder Guide 2014 Tesla model S. Tesla's batteries are so toxic that when the batteries burn, Tesla essentially recommend evacuating the vicinity and letting the fire burn out. Otherwise recommends full protective gear for emergency responders including self contained breathing apparatus.

But if you think it is safe, you ought to tell Tesla to change their emergency responder guide. :rolleyes:

Get a clue.
Yes, why don't you.
Absorption rate, type of exposure and time are important factors. People have tried unsuccessfully to commit suicide by ingesting large quantities of lead or mercury. Long-term exposure at low level, can be more harmful than short-term high levels of exposure.
And?
Most are skeptical, but some scientists suspect aluminum is a causal factor for Alzheimer. Most agree that aluminum can increase breast cancer risk by mimicking estrogen.
Don't eat your Tesla battery.
Nickel is believed to be a carcinogen in low doses over long periods of time.
See previous advice.
Some of its compounds can be explosive and extremely toxic.
Which compounds, and are they found in a Tesla battery? Again, see previous advice.
Cobalt was found to be toxic in low doses when it was added to beer. Long-term exposure can cause the heart to deteriorate and fail.
Don't add your Tesla battery pack to your beer.

Seriously, your obvious and weak FUD campaign is not going to go very far here.

According to Tesla's First Responder Guide 2014 Tesla model S. Tesla's batteries are so toxic that when the batteries burn, Tesla essentially recommend evacuating the vicinity and letting the fire burn out. Otherwise recommends full protective gear for emergency responders including self contained breathing apparatus.

But if you think it is safe, you ought to tell Tesla to change their emergency responder guide. :rolleyes:

The couch I'm sitting on as I type this would be toxic if it were on fire. As is gasoline etc... Go back and listen to the tesla blog about recycling of the batteries.