Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9000 mile (2 month) review: Model S LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Hayseed_MS

Spreader of "Endless Non Sequitur"
Jan 19, 2021
Strong Badia
This review is written from the my perspective so take it at that... This is my first Tesla and first EV. My goal was to have a modern luxury touring vehicle with above average performance.

Despite having a great team at the SC, they were not told anything by the mothership so they had very little good information, Tesla had very poor communication throughout the process. The entire wait and delivery involved a monkey and a football.

Vehicle: LR Blue/Black/21"/FSD
VIN: 432xxx
Build: 6/8
Delivery 6/29

Driving:
- 60% interstate/highway
- 30% mountainous/hilly and inclement weather
- Spirited but controlled and smooth starts from stops
- No track or race type driving

Issues:
- Driver's side mirror vibration in glass: Replaced entire assembly. New mirror still has it. SC to report issue to Tesla for direction.
- Frunk sensor defective: Waiting part to be replaced. Occasionally shows notice but lets me drive the car safely.
- Tri-zone temp malfunctional: Fixed with 24.3 update
- Rattle in rear hatch area: SC found rattle and has order parts to be replaced in two weeks
- Slight vibration during acceleration (35=34mph): Confirmed by SC and Tesla is aware/working
- Park Assist: Randomly becomes "unavailable": Confirmed by SC to not be defective hardware and Tesla is aware/working
- Dent in dash speaker grill: Waiting for part and scheduled for September fix at SC
- Lower screen toolbar covers certain apps: Software fix needed
- Phone as Key: Would not connect. App update fixed issue.
- WTF ANC?

Exterior:
- Panel gaps excellent
- Paint excellent (few spots from semi throwing gravel at me on interstate)

Tires/Wheel/Suspension:
- Excellent smooth ride. No tracking or balance issues.
- Low noise
- At 8/32" on all four (start 9.5). Wearing evenly.
- All four at 41psi cold
- Concerned about winter season and lack of A/S in this size - have a couple months to figure it out
- Air suspension has been a must in my last several vehicles so it seemed normal. This one works quickly and seamlessly - you do not feel the porpoise effect.
- Never a track car but easily handles my "spirited mountain roads and off-ramps.

Interior:
- No parts missing or damaged
- Seats comfortable for long drive (2-3 hours between stops). Easy to adjust just right.
- Wood trim in perfect shape and as expected for open pore wood.
- UI has been reliable and have had several updates since delivery.
- Satnav needs waypoints and street alerts (wave type) to be complete. Lack of waypoints very inconvenient for my trip style.
- Satnav ending trip percentage spot-on - even in the mountains. Range anxiety has all but disappeared.
- Use Teslawaze on some spots for additional driving information
- Spotify/Streaming work as purposed. Have had a few spots out of coverage where I was forced to listen to the non-existent XM or BT to my phone's music. No big deal.

Yoke/Buttons:
- Yoke is a huge non-issue. Adapted quickly - I have always been a 9/3 driver. Love the open view. No issues.
- Buttons overall a non-issue but the turn signals need the 3-blink option.
- Sometimes hit buttons when using scroll wheel
- Use voice command for wipers
- Autowipe a little over zealous but works well.

FSD/Autopilot:
- When it is working, love it. When Park Assist is not working, most FSD is not working.
- Goes in spells of phantom braking and the set speed dropping to 55mph. applying brakes, and then going back to set speed without me touching anything.
- Took time to trust the on/off ramp and tight lanes - but now very reliable
- Always have at least one hand on the wheel so the nag system alerts if not a tight enough grip but overall a non-issue.
- Use it 80%+ while on interstate

Efficiency/Charging:
- Primary is wall mount at home. Supercharge when on road trips (approx 40 stops)
- Total efficiency is 290w/mile
- No frame of past reference, but seems to have fast charging.
- I charge often above 80% at superchargers because I am eating or watching a movie
- Use free destination charges at hotels frequently - key to easy travel - wake up with a full tank

Verdict:
- Should have done this earlier
- Do not see going back to ICE (but will never give up the Jeeps)
- Would buy this vehicle again.
- Do not regret getting the LR (instead of the Plaid)

Bottom line is that I look for reasons to drive it. Just smile each time. In the end, I love the car and have forgotten how many times I was ready to quit and go somewhere else.

Thanks for the review, could you go into more detail regarding the handling? How is it overtaking people on a small country road?

Again, keep in mind my standards are not up to some - I am not expecting a track car. With that being said, it handles farther than my skills. The tires grip like on rails. The suspension eliminates almost any body roll.

Passing on a country is so effortless - it is scary. Coming from ICE and the downshifts and noise, the EV's instant torque and quiet interior, make passing almost surreal.

The only time not in control was going through Chicago this week during the storms and having 1" of water on the 294, Actually could make it drift a little.

Glad to hear you're positive on the car, given all those issues, especially since so many are unresolved and Tesla doesn't know what's going on.

I am not a fanboi and will brutally honest in my reviews. I have had other cars good and bad - I have lemoned two vehicles. But, Tesla has done this one right. Had an older S for a loaner (yes, they give me loaner every time I need one) and the refresh is not in the same league as the previous S. I drove an older S before the refresh and loved it - but this one is just night and day better.

Thank you for the information. I read it all and value your insight as I anxiously await my LR.

You mention wanting a 3 blink option. From what I have heard, if you press it a bit harder it is 3 blinks. Is this accurate?
If you press it harder, it just engages a long blinker until either the yoke turns and disengages the blinker. Or you press the same turn signal.

All said, there is either the “soft” button press which is continuous until you lift you finger.
Or the “lone“ button press which engages the blinker even after you remove your finger until you turn the yoke or re-press the button.

What’s the hatch rattle origin? Need pics!

They found that it is the third brake light rattling against the glass. It cannot be recounted so they ordered a new light. The rear window must come out to do this so they also ordered a new tailgate glass just in case something cracks. Some SC do really use their heads.

Is TeslaWaze just like Waze and any drawbacks? All I use is Waze via CarPlay.

I do not know. I never use android auto or waze. This is played through the web browser on the UI. It lacks a few features and is not the best but it is a good supplement to the satnav.

The controls for the teslawaze are at the bottom. These are cut-off by the UI toolbar and I do not know how to fix. This makes it more difficult to use. If not for this issue, it would be more user friendly.

This review is written from the my perspective so take it at that... This is my first Tesla and first EV. My goal was to have a modern luxury touring vehicle with above average performance.

Despite having a great team at the SC, they were not told anything by the mothership so they had very little good information, Tesla had very poor communication throughout the process. The entire wait and delivery involved a monkey and a football.

Vehicle: LR Blue/Black/21"/FSD
VIN: 432xxx
Build: 6/8
Delivery 6/29

Driving:
- 60% interstate/highway
- 30% mountainous/hilly and inclement weather
- Spirited but controlled and smooth starts from stops
- No track or race type driving

Issues:
- Driver's side mirror vibration in glass: Replaced entire assembly. New mirror still has it. SC to report issue to Tesla for direction.
- Frunk sensor defective: Waiting part to be replaced. Occasionally shows notice but lets me drive the car safely.
- Tri-zone temp malfunctional: Fixed with 24.3 update
- Rattle in rear hatch area: SC found rattle and has order parts to be replaced in two weeks
- Slight vibration during acceleration (35=34mph): Confirmed by SC and Tesla is aware/working
- Park Assist: Randomly becomes "unavailable": Confirmed by SC to not be defective hardware and Tesla is aware/working
- Dent in dash speaker grill: Waiting for part and scheduled for September fix at SC
- Lower screen toolbar covers certain apps: Software fix needed
- Phone as Key: Would not connect. App update fixed issue.
- WTF ANC?

Exterior:
- Panel gaps excellent
- Paint excellent (few spots from semi throwing gravel at me on interstate)

Tires/Wheel/Suspension:
- Excellent smooth ride. No tracking or balance issues.
- Low noise
- At 8/32" on all four (start 9.5). Wearing evenly.
- All four at 41psi cold
- Concerned about winter season and lack of A/S in this size - have a couple months to figure it out
- Air suspension has been a must in my last several vehicles so it seemed normal. This one works quickly and seamlessly - you do not feel the porpoise effect.
- Never a track car but easily handles my "spirited mountain roads and off-ramps.

Interior:
- No parts missing or damaged
- Seats comfortable for long drive (2-3 hours between stops). Easy to adjust just right.
- Wood trim in perfect shape and as expected for open pore wood.
- UI has been reliable and have had several updates since delivery.
- Satnav needs waypoints and street alerts (wave type) to be complete. Lack of waypoints very inconvenient for my trip style.
- Satnav ending trip percentage spot-on - even in the mountains. Range anxiety has all but disappeared.
- Use Teslawaze on some spots for additional driving information
- Spotify/Streaming work as purposed. Have had a few spots out of coverage where I was forced to listen to the non-existent XM or BT to my phone's music. No big deal.

Yoke/Buttons:
- Yoke is a huge non-issue. Adapted quickly - I have always been a 9/3 driver. Love the open view. No issues.
- Buttons overall a non-issue but the turn signals need the 3-blink option.
- Sometimes hit buttons when using scroll wheel
- Use voice command for wipers
- Autowipe a little over zealous but works well.

FSD/Autopilot:
- When it is working, love it. When Park Assist is not working, most FSD is not working.
- Goes in spells of phantom braking and the set speed dropping to 55mph. applying brakes, and then going back to set speed without me touching anything.
- Took time to trust the on/off ramp and tight lanes - but now very reliable
- Always have at least one hand on the wheel so the nag system alerts if not a tight enough grip but overall a non-issue.
- Use it 80%+ while on interstate

Efficiency/Charging:
- Primary is wall mount at home. Supercharge when on road trips (approx 40 stops)
- Total efficiency is 290w/mile
- No frame of past reference, but seems to have fast charging.
- I charge often above 80% at superchargers because I am eating or watching a movie
- Use free destination charges at hotels frequently - key to easy travel - wake up with a full tank

Verdict:
- Should have done this earlier
- Do not see going back to ICE (but will never give up the Jeeps)
- Would buy this vehicle again.
- Do not regret getting the LR (instead of the Plaid)

Bottom line is that I look for reasons to drive it. Just smile each time. In the end, I love the car and have forgotten how many times I was ready to quit and go somewhere else.
Nice & helpful review sir; MANY thanks!!

Thank you for the information. I read it all and value your insight as I anxiously await my LR.

You mention wanting a 3 blink option. From what I have heard, if you press it a bit harder it is 3 blinks. Is this accurate?

After the latest update (2021.35) it still does not have the 3 blink system. However, the buttons do have a stronger buzz and audible buzz when pressed.

Great post!

Wrote this in another thread but thought I would post here as well. I took delivery 9/27 on a LR with 19" rims. My thoughts coming from a 2018 Model S 75D. Summary, I LOVE IT!

Exterior
  1. Changes are subtle but noticeable for Tesla fans.
  2. I like the black trim, gives it a much sportier look.
  3. Same for the extra width in fenders and tires, sportier, meaner looking!
  4. Didn't plan on liking the 19" rims w/aeros but actually do. The rims look smaller though if you remove the covers.
  5. Quality was good, no major paint or panel gap issues.
Interior
  1. Yoke, do like the extra visibility and not having to take your hand off the wheel for turns signals is actually nice. Not sure how wife will like it.
  2. Interior design, thumbs up! Feels more modern. Friend commented it is now more competitive with Taycan on that front.
  3. Software/UI, higher learning curve due to the flexibility and windowing UI.
  4. Screens, all great though I feel the backup cam is a little grainy in full screen even in daylight. Anyone else notice this?
  5. Seats are very comfortable. Did have some "wrinkles/folds" in rear that they will replace
  6. Missing the cargo floor panels like others, said it was due to backorder.
  7. Stereo is awesome! No distortion, clear highs and incredible bass if you want it.
Driving
  1. Smoother and quieter than prev 75D for sure. Adds to the enjoyment.
  2. Holy SH*T it is fast! I knew the specs on paper but was still blown away! It throws you back in the seat no matter how fast you are going. I took a Tesla owner for a ride and floored it at 50 and hit 90 so fast, we were both blown away! His quote was "Holy crap what a car that is!!"! This is a HUGE upgrade and makes me smile every time I do it. I can't imagine the Plaid acceleration.
  3. Really, it feels so fast. a Porsche owner drove and was blown away by how fast it is and couldn't imagine wanting anything faster.
  4. No seriously, the improvement in mid-range power delivery is incredible. The car feels like it is lifting off the ground at 50mph when you punch it.
  5. Yoke + Drive Selector, not really an issue except complicated maneuvers like 3 point turns etc.
[EDITS BELOW]
A few other notes:
1. Charging on the same Tesla wall charger as before is 25% faster (42 miles/hour vs 34 on 75D)
2. Was unable to secure any freebies (winter mats, 14-50 adapter) from Tesla. In 2018 I got free mats at least :)
3. At home delivery was really nice. I thought I would miss the experience of going to the dealer and seeing it but did not.
4. When turning, light is projected in the turn direction. Didn't know this was a feature and my old car didn't have it. Anyone know if these are adaptive headlights or is it just an additional LED they turn on? ANSWER: additional LED.

presently just one vanilla view available
What do you mean by 1 view? If you touch the map, then the compass symbol you can rotate between 3 views when navigating to a destination (I do think they should leave that button always visible on map). And the new zoom in to follow immediate path of travel like a fly over is cool. And of course you can turn satellite view on/off as usual, along with zooming in/out with 2 fingers.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja
What do you mean by 1 view? If you touch the map, then the compass symbol you can rotate between 3 views when navigating to a destination (I do think they should leave that button always visible on map). And the new zoom in to follow immediate path of travel like a fly over is cool. And of course you can turn satellite view on/off as usual, along with zooming in/out with 2 fingers.
Thanks
You are describing what I am used to from my 2020 MS-LR. The little box pops up in the lower right corner and I can toggle from satellite to vanilla easily.
My new 2021 refresh is showing me nothing when I touch the map then compass symbol other than N or the semi-circle.... no little globe to with views or anything new.
I thought I was waiting for a software update, but maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks
You are describing what I am used to from my 2020 MS-LR. The little box pops up in the lower right corner and I can toggle from satellite to vanilla easily.
My new 2021 refresh is showing me nothing when I touch the map then compass symbol other than N or the semi-circle.... no little globe to with views or anything new.
I thought I was waiting for a software update, but maybe I'm just missing something.
Can you show us a video?