Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

800 mile 0 degree road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just took a 800 mile road trip from Denver to Ft Worth in our new Model Y Performance. It was the easiest trip we’ve ever done… Love me some electric road tripping. The temp when we left was 0. We did get up to 14 the first day in New Mexico. A balmy 30 by the time we got to Ft Worth.

Left with 100%
Stopped in Pueblo just for a charge…
We didn’t need to stop but my son and his in laws were hanging in Trinidad so we had dinner with them and got a full charge
The computer said we could make it to Amarillo if we drove slow but we were conservative on our first road trip and stopped in Clayton NM for a few minutes.
Stayed at the Home2Suites in Amarillo and woke up with a warm car and a free full tank.
Childress for a couple of minutes of charge
Then some good BBQ and a charge in Henrietta
Arrived in Ft worth with 39%

The comfort and relatively frequent stops were a real change to my usual ‘no stopping, pee in a bottle’ approach to road tripping. Very relaxing. Anyway, I posted this because I would have loved to see more info on these types of trips but it was tough to find them..

Merry Christmas all!

We just took a 800 mile road trip from Denver to Ft Worth in our new Model Y Performance. It was the easiest trip we’ve ever done… Love me some electric road tripping. The temp when we left was 0. We did get up to 14 the first day in New Mexico. A balmy 30 by the time we got to Ft Worth.

Left with 100%
We didn’t need to stop but my son and his in laws were hanging in Trinidad so we had dinner with them and got a full charge
The computer said we could make it to Amarillo if we drove slow but we were conservative on our first road trip and stopped in Clayton NM for a few minutes.
Stayed at the Home2Suites in Amarillo and woke up with a warm car and a free full tank.

The comfort and relatively frequent stops were a real change to my usual ‘no stopping, pee in a bottle’ approach to road tripping. Very relaxing. Anyway, I posted this because I would have loved to see more info on these types of trips but it was tough to find them..

Merry Christmas all!
OP. Do you know your Wh/mile for the trip?

Yeah, it was pretty much spot on. 3 percent plus or minus.
I wonder if you understood his question. He asked if it took into consideration the weather temp in the elevation. For me, it never has taken that into consideration, but it does take into consideration the elevation change. Perhaps newer firmware may take into consideration the temperature along the trip, but not in mine.

I wonder if you understood his question. He asked if it took into consideration the weather temp in the elevation. For me, it never has taken that into consideration, but it does take into consideration the elevation change. Perhaps newer firmware may take into consideration the temperature along the trip, but not in mine.
Temperature and wind speed are now part of the calculation… It was added this summer. Software version 2022.16.0.2.

Does the supercharging map In the car and anticipated state of charage, take into account of the weather temperature in elevation?

The algorithm is sophisticated and very data driven, but the car continually updates its guesses with real time consumption data. Between the two, surprises are going to be rare if ever. This is why Tesla tripping is stress free -- just slow down if asked to do so by the car.

Reactions: Prairie and TomB985

Left with 100%

Merry Christmas all!
How is the range loss during the cold temperatures? Did you turn off the heater and only use seat warmers?

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
How is the range loss during the cold temperatures? Did you turn off the heater and only use seat warmers?

In newer model Teslas (say 2019+), the battery is heated up during Supercharging and then that heat is used for cabin heating.
Rinse and repeat at the next Supercharger.

There are limits to how much this trick works, but it does a grand job of preserving range in 20F+ and above ambient temperatures. Destination charging overnight requires a different game. Then the cabin pre-heating on shore power should be generous.

Reactions: outdoors
I understood. I don’t have any inside information what the software takes into account. All I can tell you is that we were within a few percentage points…

Ok, I see. Agree, ours is also always within a couple % points or a few miles. Although it is not because the car is taking into consideration the temperature as I understand his question. It is because of other algorithmic factors. Glad you had a great experience on that trip. It mirrors my experience as well.

OP. Do you know your Wh/mile for the trip?
I was stupid and didn’t hit the trip reset before I left. I know between charges it was quite high though. Mid to sometimes upper 300s. I’m in the mid 200s here in ft worth while we’re in the 50s. I’m also not doing a lot of highway driving either. Some but not all of it is like it was for the trip..

Oh and no. I left it on 68 the whole way. We did raise it to 73 while charging though.

Nice idea, but you have to be sneaky about it. If you just drop the thermostat down to 68F after Supercharging the car will cool the cabin down, and to add insult to injury, use energy to do so. You may have also inadvertently taken away the heat sink that the car expects to use while it cools down the battery pack from its Supercharging induced high temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
I was stupid and didn’t hit the trip reset before I left. I know between charges it was quite high though. Mid to sometimes upper 300s. I’m in the mid 200s here in ft worth while we’re in the 50s. I’m also not doing a lot of highway driving either. Some but not all of it is like it was for the trip..
Thanks.

I have found cold weather like 0° F messes with the new calculator quite a bit. At warmer temps it will be within 2-3 percentage points or even better over a 100 miles stretch. When it is really cold, the calculator has been off as much as 9%. Same day.