Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 Cameras! Can they add a small DVR?

I want DVR capabilities

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only problem I have with Teslas quote is that the mentioned hardware augments happen across the automotive industry.

People change their rims all of the time
People have been known to change their speakers
People have done things to augment their cars from the beginning of the automobile era.

Those aren't hacks.
Let's be honest here. Not all the people that want to make changes to their cars want to do so for aesthetic purposes. Also, most of those who enhanced their road vehicles early on did so to escape Revenuers. It's been a long time since Prohibition. Even so, the Model T was around 30 years old by the time that hot-rodders began modding them for barely legal high performance street use. I don't care how capable the guys at Lingenfelter, Callaway, and Saleen think they are... I'd prefer they allow the Model S to have been around a similar amount of time before they begin to 'bless' them with 'improvements'. If Panasonic hasn't come up with a replacement/alternative entertainment system for the Model S in all this time, I certainly don't want to see one from Alpine, Clarion, Denon, Kenwood, or Blaupunkt either.

Concentrate on this part:
We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. ... Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

Last edited:
Let's be honest here. Not all the people that want to make changes to their cars want to do so for aesthetic purposes. Also, most of those who enhanced their road vehicles early on did so to escape Revenuers. It's been a long time since Prohibition. Even so, the Model T was around 30 years old by the time that hot-rodders began modding them for barely legal high performance street use. I don't care how capable the guys at Lingenfelter, Callaway, and Saleen think they are... I'd prefer they allow the Model S to have been around a similar amount of time before they begin to 'bless' them with 'improvements'. If Panasonic hasn't come up with a replacement/alternative entertainment system for the Model S in all this time, I certainly don't want to see one from Alpine, Clarion, Denon, Kenwood, or Blaupunkt either.

Concentrate on this part:
We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. ... Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.
I totally agree with what Tesla wants, however if they don't supply all of what their customers want....then what are their customers to do? Especially those who can afford "upgraded" 3rd party options.

All of Tessa's comments revolve around their customers not altering their cars to protect TESLA. I'm not sure there will be as many people invested in TESLA's desires, wishes and dreams as there has been in the past - when the M3 comes out.

I totally agree with what Tesla wants, however if they don't supply all of what their customers want....then what are their customers to do? Especially those who can afford "upgraded" 3rd party options.

All of Tessa's comments revolve around their customers not altering their cars to protect TESLA. I'm not sure there will be as many people invested in TESLA's desires, wishes and dreams as there has been in the past - when the M3 comes out.
Once again, Tesla has to survive long enough to reach the point where they can be stable enough to withstand the poor decisions of their Customers some day. That's why they responded to the issue with car fires by introducing the titanium shield so quickly.

Once again, Tesla has to survive long enough to reach the point where they can be stable enough to withstand the poor decisions of their Customers some day. That's why they responded to the issue with car fires by introducing the titanium shield so quickly.
Understood.

I just assumed that they are more than stable in their product. Maybe I am too naïve in my assumptions right now as I am part fanboy.

Reactions: Red Sage
Understood.

I just assumed that they are more than stable in their product. Maybe I am too naïve in my assumptions right now as I am part fanboy.
It may well take a 'Good Long While', perhaps another 15-to-20 years, before the necessary level of stability is achieved. Just long enough for a couple of generations of new car enthusiasts to be reared in a world where autonomous cars are a reality. People who know full well that the FUD spread by Naysayers is absolute [BOLSHEVIK].

Reactions: Garlan Garner
View attachment 199359

need at least 2 terabytes with highest quality 7 days a week with night vision. it can write over from week to week. here is calculator for quality,file type or any other options.

NVR Storage Calculator for Network IP Cameras

That calculator is wrong. It shows estimated storage that's twice as much as it should be. 1Mbps H.265 stream should take about 10.8 GB of storage per 24 hours (1/8*60*60*24). You can easily fit all 8 cameras running 24 hours into a 128GB SD Card with some room to spare, considering that when the car is NOT in motion, variable bitrate compression can easily reduce the bitrate much further.

I wouldn't even need to store that much. Even an hour or two would work, as I would only pull the recording after an accident, or if the car was parked after some tamper alarm was triggered.