Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was streaming a podcast today, put it on pause when I parked, when I returned to the car an hour later, it has lost my spot and restarted at the beginning. Good news, found a podcast to stream, bad news, I need to memorize how far I'm in.

I had decided the search and reporting were bad, but it played fine. Nope, doesn't hold your spot when you leave the car isn't playing fine.

What a bummer, back to using the iPhone's interface.
This is the same frustration for audio books, they need a "bookmark" feature in addition to being able to favorite whole artists and albums for usb.

Reactions: PtG62901 and Owner
I created 26 folders named A thru Z in order to be able to get to my music without all that scrolling.

In some cases there aren't that many folders in each latter (for example under "Q" I only have "Queen" and "Queensryche") so I combined them with adjacent letters. Folder would be called "PQ" for example.

The WMA Lossless codec problem is still an issue. It wasn't very nice to upgrade my car for 45 minutes and then find out that half of my 11,000 tracks weren't going to play at all. The "What's New In This Update" lies out of its ass when it doesn't mention this change at all.

It's possible Tesla didn't want to pay licensing fees to Microsoft or Apple, explaining the latest change. FLACs, an open format, play just fine. Tesla's messaging to drivers is the issue here.

Or... it's a bug. In which case, roll on the fix!!!

I created 26 folders named A thru Z in order to be able to get to my music without all that scrolling.

In some cases there aren't that many folders in each latter (for example under "Q" I only have "Queen" and "Queensryche") so I combined them with adjacent letters. Folder would be called "PQ" for example.

The WMA Lossless codec problem is still an issue. It wasn't very nice to upgrade my car for 45 minutes and then find out that half of my 11,000 tracks weren't going to play at all. The "What's New In This Update" lies out of its ass when it doesn't mention this change at all.

It's possible Tesla didn't want to pay licensing fees to Microsoft or Apple, explaining the latest change. FLACs, an open format, play just fine. Tesla's messaging to drivers is the issue here.

They really need to document these changes. This would fix about 20% of the frustration out there regarding media problems.

And I'm not going to go create 26 more folders in 50 other folders, I shouldn't have to.

Reactions: sorka and Owner
Interesting. I was hoping for the A-Z quick indexer.
Actually if this is case <praying>, I think it is good news. It means that they heard all the frustration and rushed out a release with the easiest interim fix, perhaps simply changing order of search to put USB first. Hopefully it means more USB fixes forthcoming.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
They really need to document these changes. This would fix about 20% of the frustration out there regarding media problems.

And I'm not going to go create 26 more folders in 50 other folders, I shouldn't have to.
Sigh, yes. Tesla never seems willing to admit an error. They just release an undocumented fix. We get to find it. I hope this search thing true.

On another thread it says that when you search it still returns the streaming songs first, but if you tap the search again where it has your search terms already loaded, it will then search the USB drive.

I am not moving to V8.x until all of this is sorted out so I cannot confirm.

On another thread it says that when you search it still returns the streaming songs first, but if you tap the search again where it has your search terms already loaded, it will then search the USB drive.

MORE double tapping?? What is this, Microsoft Windows?

Did they forget that you're also DRIVING A FREAKING CAR?

Thx @MartinAustin , good idea.

I had to synch my car USB with my master library anyway, so I went ahead and added the alpha folders. I did notice that it now takes twice as long to scan vs. before when structure was "flatter" by artist/album.

So, I guess between wasting electrons (leaving power savings off so that USB doesn't have to rescan constantly), and shoehorning in a directory structure so I can scroll to artists, I guess I'm hunkered down with subsistence-level function until this gets fixed.

Despite these actions, I'm still disadvantaged by these errors:
* I should be able to use energy savings without having to rescan drive every time I start car
* Tracks still not in album sequence within albums (I suppose I could address that with some utility to add sequence numbers to track names, but really don't want to do difficult-to-reverse stuff like that unless I have to)
* Still no access to the supposedly great new voice search function
* Still no viable way to browse through songs or albums, and browsing artists is via user kludge
* Random is still not random, it is some hash key that produces the same results each time
* Current track restarts at beginning rather than where it left off
* Audio still doesn't remember that it was muted, and sometimes starts when you open the door (I thought that was fixed a while ago!)

Gee, it's a good thing I don't listen to podcasts or audio books, because then I'd also have to remember to annotate precise location before turning off, and waste time fast-forwarding after turning on... or - worse yet - scan while driving.

I guess you won't see the headline "Tesla accident caused by crap media player" because it is so less sexy than "Auto Pilot", but it is only a matter of time before it happens.

• Helpful
Reactions: supratachophobia
Thx @MartinAustin , good idea.

I had to synch my car USB with my master library anyway, so I went ahead and added the alpha folders. I did notice that it now takes twice as long to scan vs. before when structure was "flatter" by artist/album.

So, I guess between wasting electrons (leaving power savings off so that USB doesn't have to rescan constantly), and shoehorning in a directory structure so I can scroll to artists, I guess I'm hunkered down with subsistence-level function until this gets fixed.

Despite these actions, I'm still disadvantaged by these errors:
* I should be able to use energy savings without having to rescan drive every time I start car
* Tracks still not in album sequence within albums (I suppose I could address that with some utility to add sequence numbers to track names, but really don't want to do difficult-to-reverse stuff like that unless I have to)
* Still no access to the supposedly great new voice search function
* Still no viable way to browse through songs or albums, and browsing artists is via user kludge
* Random is still not random, it is some hash key that produces the same results each time
* Current track restarts at beginning rather than where it left off
* Audio still doesn't remember that it was muted, and sometimes starts when you open the door (I thought that was fixed a while ago!)

Gee, it's a good thing I don't listen to podcasts or audio books, because then I'd also have to remember to annotate precise location before turning off, and waste time fast-forwarding after turning on... or - worse yet - scan while driving.

I guess you won't see the headline "Tesla accident caused by crap media player" because it is so less sexy than "Auto Pilot", but it is only a matter of time before it happens.
That's a fairly succinct rehash of the problems still. Thank you for listing them out. And you are right, the additional interaction with the screen creates More safety issues.

I have a USB drive with several thousand songs on it. Every time the car wakes up, it takes 8 MINUTES to scan the drive. This means I can't listen to my USB songs for 8 minutes after I get in the car.
I've always been annoyed by this, it's nothing new. I have a 2TB HDD connected, I dream of it 'only' taking 8 minutes to scan my drive. My MacBook Pro does it in seconds of course

I'm still waiting for v8 to be rolled out to my car but reading this is very depressing. Tesla's problem is is similar to apple's, generally the product works so well and is so well developed than any poorly implemented features really really stand out. The media player is not 'mission critical' like TACC or AutoSteer but it's software that we all use every single day, usually multiple times and the frustration at such poorly implemented software just grows with every software update where it is either ignored or becomes even worse. For those in the US, just wait, the Spotify implementation is just more of the same.