Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D supercharging speed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my Model S 75D that's all I get. I cannot see how it would be any different on the X.

Yes, the software-locked 60D supercharges at the exact same rate as a 75D at the same underlying state of charge. So in reality, you probably wouldn't stay at a supercharger for a lot longer than a 0 to 60kWh charge on your 75D either, as that last 15kWh might take you 45+ minutes with tapering.

Thanks guys!

Yes, the software-locked 60D supercharges at the exact same rate as a 75D at the same underlying state of charge. So in reality, you probably wouldn't stay at a supercharger for a lot longer than a 0 to 60kWh charge on your 75D either, as that last 15kWh might take you 45+ minutes with tapering.
The last 5% is were the tapering really slows down on my 75D. It will go wide open until 90% and still maintain a faster than L2 speed until 95%.

The last 5% is were the tapering really slows down on my 75D. It will go wide open until 90% and still maintain a faster than L2 speed until 95%.

What's your definition of wide open though? I found that above 185RM or so, on my S70D (locked 75D) I already drop to 70kW or so from 99kW.

Without a doubt, most of these rates are faster than L2. But I mean, compared to the 100D that replaced my 70D, the 100D still pulls 110-120kW at 200RM, and that effectively adds up to saving over half an hour to charge at Bakersfield and skip Mojave and get directly to Barstow.

Fast is relative. I thought the 75D's charging curve was fantastic compared to other EV's, but man, the 100D just blows it away for road tripping. For SF to Vegas and SF to Lake Tahoe, it's resulted in an extremely meaningful amount of time shaved off road trips, that I wasn't expecting when I made my original choice to get the 70D. Back then I was strictly in a mindset of "do I have enough miles to get to the destination".

• Informative
Reactions: jgrgnt
The biggest advantage the 75 has over the 60 is not so much at Superchargers, but being able to start out your trip from home with a full battery, and take advantage of the extra range to your first stop (or not needing to stop at all). That is where the bigger batteries shine.

Same advantage when you are at a destination charger. Again you can start out in the morning with the additional range.

Same with gas vehicles. Most people like to start out their trip with a full tank, and get some miles under your belt before stopping.

If you do none of this type of driving, the 60 might be the better value.

Reactions: chillaban
What's your definition of wide open though? I found that above 185RM or so, on my S70D (locked 75D) I already drop to 70kW or so from 99kW.

Without a doubt, most of these rates are faster than L2. But I mean, compared to the 100D that replaced my 70D, the 100D still pulls 110-120kW at 200RM, and that effectively adds up to saving over half an hour to charge at Bakersfield and skip Mojave and get directly to Barstow.

Fast is relative. I thought the 75D's charging curve was fantastic compared to other EV's, but man, the 100D just blows it away for road tripping. For SF to Vegas and SF to Lake Tahoe, it's resulted in an extremely meaningful amount of time shaved off road trips, that I wasn't expecting when I made my original choice to get the 70D. Back then I was strictly in a mindset of "do I have enough miles to get to the destination".
80kw+ up to 90%

This is not my experience, either. Closer to 30kW at that SOC.

I'd generally agree. I mean, I've sat in my car in Vegas to charge it up all the way for a day trip. At the 70D's 90%, I was at maybe 60-70kW and then it rapidly tapers after that. Once I'm beyond 200 rated miles, from there to 235 (100% of a 70D) is around 50 minutes remaining. Past 215 you're tapering down to 30kW or lower.

I'd generally agree. I mean, I've sat in my car in Vegas to charge it up all the way for a day trip. At the 70D's 90%, I was at maybe 60-70kW and then it rapidly tapers after that. Once I'm beyond 200 rated miles, from there to 235 (100% of a 70D) is around 50 minutes remaining. Past 215 you're tapering down to 30kW or lower.
I did ~77% to 100% in about 30 minutes just last weekend. From 90% to 95% it was in the ~50kw range and after that it went down hill quickly. I wish they would have had a destination charger for the last little bit as it would have been much faster.

......snip...... I was just wondering what 75D owners supercharging speed was. I used to only get a max 97-98kw ideally in my X. That was the highest I have seen it. Is that the same for a 75D?
Thanks,
Zack
don't forget ... your 'model' is not your pack's usable portion. A 60 is actually 62 and the 75 is actually 72. so you're 60 was actually giving you more bang for the buck.

Our march build reached102-105 on just a couple trips - but the pack was warm & the stalls were empty, new & cool.
and the oddity - the SC sez "no uncork for you" - not that there's any correlation necessarily between the 2 irregularities.

Our march build reached102-105 on just a couple trips - but the pack was warm & the stalls were empty, new & cool.
and the oddity - the SC sez "no uncork for you" - not that there's any correlation necessarily between the 2 irregularities.

Are you an S or X? And are you a 60D? I haven't seen a 60D as eligible, but I haven't seen an upgraded 75D who has not been eligible.

Anyone know a good resource for terminology and a primer on charging/battery maintenance (maximizing battery life)? Waiting for my 100D and will likely be relying on outside chargers while I figure out how to get a charger in my condo parking space.