Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that seems a bit off topic for this thread, this thread is about 0-60 time changes for the 75/75D(becoming quicker by 1 second.) im referring to people that bought the slower model before this change. im pretty sure people that test drove were satisfied by the 5.3 sec or whatever it was to buy the car.
Just refuting your point about people not doing proper research with Tesla prior to purchasing.

Reactions: Bebop
Unfortunate that Tesla creates that atmosphere with overcomittments and lack of communication about what is actually going on.
Tesla changed the 0-60 (0-100) times on 1 July. When pressed by Electrek's Fred Lambert, an unnamed Tesla source articulates that there are software and/or hardware changes, but because there are some hardware changes not all cars will get the increase. Definitely an undercommitment.

Did rsan's car get a new fuse? I doubt it. Probably just a firmware update. We already knew that the older cars can easily be made quicker if Tesla wanted. To me the more interesting question is why? And Tesla isn't obligated to say why. But I believe that performance differentiation within a model (75/85/100) and between models (like 3 and 75) drive this.

So the service centers don't know or agree on how production and delivery dates correlate to uncorking. I am willing to cut Tesla some slack since they only intended to sneak new 0-60 times on the website. Like with the EU battery upgrade to 85kWh, it may be that new buyers are all in some sort of randomized controlled trial.

Last edited:
Did rsan's car get a new fuse? I doubt it. Probably just a firmware update. We already knew that the older cars can easily be made quicker if Tesla wanted. To me the more interesting question is why? And Tesla isn't obligated to say why. But I believe that performance differentiation within a model (75/85/100) and between models (like 3 and 75) drive this.
Agree completely. Wish there was more transparency on this.

I wonder if you can increase acceleration even further with this new spec'd 75D. Maybe bring it down to 3.5 seconds. That would be awesome.
Itt depends on who the "you" is. If you is Tesla then I am with Swift. 4.2 seconds is likely all you get. Could I do it? I bet 50% likely I could get 3.5 with 50% chance I damage something else. Could Jason Hughes do it? 99.9% likely with 2% chance he damages something else. Both void your warranty.

The car has two 300kW motors. It's 800hp. Any engineers have the math handy on where 350v runs out for current batteries, where 400v runs out for new EU batteries, where you really need the larger rear motor and where the new larger drive unit tops out given current battery weight, excluding fuses? Anyone know where the current street tire width tops out? Or wider staggered rears? Or slicks? All this can be estimated within 5% tolerances.

Last edited:
Yep, the 75D's DU00 drive unit. Speculating a little based on Fred Lambert's 4 July and the previous year's 29 June Electrek articles, as well as Jason Hughes' insight in the current lack of differences between current performance and base motors.

So the new spec has possibly (assuming it's true) more HP than a P85D? Which comes in at about 691HP. That seems so strange. Technological advances I guess? That doesn't seem right though. I mean I'm not complaining since I'll take delivery of my 75D in September.

Last edited:
So the new spec has possibly (assuming it's true) more HP than a P85D? Which comes in at about 691HP. That seems so strange. Technological advances I guess?

If true. Then it is plausible that an upgrade could be presented to new spec owners in the future (for a price) to a insane mode 75D and 100D for that matter.
Oh, these cars will get upgraded all right. Just not by Tesla. Five years ago we barely had 60kWh. Imagine in 2022 when 25,000 Model Ss come off warranty and the same weight batteries are 175kWh and half weight batteries make 600hp. When DU02 comes out I am going to buy one of the (then) old ones and build a track car.

I just picked up my August 2017 built Model S 75 RWD. It is confirmed to have DU01 drive unit and has been Uncorked. I used power tools this morning and got 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with peek 422 HP. I expect my time could improve with better technique of breaking before take off or something. I also felt the tires slip/squeak a bit in the first second as the pavement had a bit of gravel on it.

I just picked up my August 2017 built Model S 75 RWD. It is confirmed to have DU01 drive unit and has been Uncorked. I used power tools this morning and got 0-60 in 4.7 seconds with peek 422 HP. I expect my time could improve with better technique of breaking before take off or something. I also felt the tires slip/squeak a bit in the first second as the pavement had a bit of gravel on it.

Interesting...So you pretty much have a P75 with that kind of HP and 0-60. Then those with the "D" models (new spec) pretty much will have a P75D.

Last edited:

That's cool info!

Sure your vehicle was produced in August though? Have you got the new back seat and the new vegan interior (if going for any other color than white)?
Also, do you have the 75kWh battery or the 85kWh?

That's cool info!

Sure your vehicle was produced in August though? Have you got the new back seat and the new vegan interior (if going for any other color than white)?
Also, do you have the 75kWh battery or the 85kWh?
Yep, August 4. I missed out on the air suspension (which I didn't want), but got to keep the Tan leather interior vs the Vegan cream one. But I have to say this is the most fun I have had in a car since senior prom!

Hey...can you confirm if you have a 75 kWh battery or 85 kWh battery by looking at the battery sticker?

What new back seat?

All Model S ordered after 22 July will get a completely re-designed back seat. Instead of the "bench" the back seat now is similar designed as the premium front seats and have three separate seats. The new back seat looks much better and probably more comfortable also!

Other changes is also that the center console now will be completely covered in the premium interior material instead of the plastic center console that has been installed in cars ordered prior to July 22.