Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D vs. 90D Speed Regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to Car & Driver, Volt is 7.8 seconds to 60. 70D is 5.2, so the delta is actually greater than that between the 70D and 90D. I did test drive a 90D though, and it is way faster than 70D. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

I think I ordered the same car as you - except the 90D instead of the 70D. During my test drive of the 70D, I couldn't really feel much difference from 0-30 from my Volt and the 70D. I haven't researched/scoured the internet to find that actually figures, but I just couldn't FEEL much difference. I drove a P85D and without the insane mode on, it's supposed to be the same as the 85D. So, I've never even driven an 85D let alone the 90D that I ordered, but I'm certainly counting down my days . . . 41 remaining.

You will love it :) I'm on my 7th day with my 85D and it is awesome.

I think of my 70D as a GT car, not as a street-racer or a drag-racer. It has enough power and speed capable of getting me in trouble. As a long distance cruiser with the increasing availability in charging neither the greater range of the 85D, now 90D, nor the greater power really are worth the extra cost to me.

According to Car & Driver, Volt is 7.8 seconds to 60. 70D is 5.2, so the delta is actually greater than that between the 70D and 90D. I did test drive a 90D though, and it is way faster than 70D. Worth the extra money in my opinion.

He's comparing 0-30, not 0-60, where an EV has the most umph.

2011-2015 Volt 0-30 3.4seconds
70D 0-30 -- ???? I can't find the numbers. But given that 0-60 is 5.2, and 30-50 is 2.0, and 50-70 is 3.1, I'd wager a WAG that the 70D 0-30 is somewhere around 2.2 seconds, or about 33% faster than his volt.
85 (non-D) is 2.3 seconds 0-30.
P85 0-30 is 1.7 seconds, or about 2x as fast as his volt
P85D is 1.6 seconds 0-30

All the numbers are pulled from random places on the web, I'm not sure how accurate any of them are, some make sense, some... don't. I'd expect the P85D to be more than 0.1 seconds faster in the 0-30 compared to the P85

He's comparing 0-30, not 0-60, where an EV has the most umph.

2011-2015 Volt 0-30 3.4seconds
70D 0-30 -- ???? I can't find the numbers. But given that 0-60 is 5.2, and 30-50 is 2.0, and 50-70 is 3.1, I'd wager a WAG that the 70D 0-30 is somewhere around 2.2 seconds, or about 33% faster than his volt.
85 (non-D) is 2.3 seconds 0-30.
P85 0-30 is 1.7 seconds, or about 2x as fast as his volt
P85D is 1.6 seconds 0-30

All the numbers are pulled from random places on the web, I'm not sure how accurate any of them are, some make sense, some... don't. I'd expect the P85D to be more than 0.1 seconds faster in the 0-30 compared to the P85

Thanks for the data, Max. Again, not as focused on the numbers as the feel in the seat of my pants. Simply put, the 70D did not impress me for a $75,000 car. If I'm spending that kind of money, I want to get more bang for the buck, which was my purpose in calculating the $/acceleration tables we did earlier in this thread! Sorry - I don't mean to beat the dead horse!

Placed my order a few weeks ago and moving into production in another few weeks of my 70D. However, I've never actually driven a 70 before (bought it completely drive(?) unseen :confused:) ... until today.

I was able to find a local dealership that had one in available for test driving in almost my exact configuration. I made a dumb decision by driving a 90D minutes before that just to really see the difference. There's definitely a massive change in acceleration and seemed to be a bit of a different driving experience, but I'm not sure if that was mostly psychological on my part. Immediately afterwards I began to regret my decision and consider a 90D configuration vs. the 70D I've already ordered.

On the depressing drive back home in my ICE, I started to wonder if my issue isn't completely psychological.

I'm very curious to hear from current 70D owners if the 70 feels like "enough"? Do you have any regrets? I find it hard to believe I would actually be able to tell the difference between a 70 and 90 in my daily driving, and it seems that even if I went with the 90, eventually it would start to feel 'normal' and I would have just spent $13k to upgrade for something that long term didn't make much of a difference at all.

Any issues with highway speed passing in specific for the 70 owners out there?

Please, save me from myself TMC :)

Took delivery of my S70D in early Dec. out in Scottsdale, AZ and proceeded to drive it to my winter home in Tucson...all along I10, where the speed limits are posted at 75 most of the way, and where typical traffic exceeds 80 mph. Don't worry about passing or acceleration...my experience from that first drive was that the car can VERY swiftly accelerate from mid-70's to 90 or so (I'm talking seconds or split seconds) and has a remarkably stable feel in doing so. I am confident that it is more than enough fast to beat most other vehicles on the road today...particularly from a standing stop--torque is amazing and smooth. The S85s are of course faster at the higher end, but my S70 is quite satisfying speedwise.

Wanted to check back in here after having the car for some time.

For anyone else going through the struggle who this may help, do NOT listen to a lot of the advice in this thread. The 70D is very fast. If you need more range, pick a bigger battery. For speed, you can't go wrong with any option.

I plan on doing a fuller write up soon to hopefully put the minds at ease who are like I was, struggling with the options until delivery.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread constructively.

Reactions: krazineurons
Wanted to check back in here after having the car for some time.

For anyone else going through the struggle who this may help, do NOT listen to a lot of the advice in this thread. The 70D is very fast. If you need more range, pick a bigger battery. For speed, you can't go wrong with any option.

I plan on doing a fuller write up soon to hopefully put the minds at ease who are like I was, struggling with the options until delivery.

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread constructively.

So what did you order or get delivered?

I have had the 70D for nearly a year and never had a complaint about speed. I have to admit to having the Tesla grin a few times and having blown away traditional sport cars just for fun. Having said that, unless you are really trying to drag race all the top sports cars in your area I don't think the money is worth it based on speed alone. Having said that, I would love the additional range of the S90D.

With all due respect this isn't about why you ordered a 90D. You've been spouting a lot about why 70D's are slow on this forum, and it's honestly getting tiresome. You don't even own the car yet.

@bswn1, yep. You're absolutely right. Guess I'm a little excited about delivery day a week away.

I'd like to apologize, but I just don't feel expressing my opinion (and my experience going back and forth over the 70/90 decision) is worthy of an apology. Just trying to share my decision making process with others.

I was lucky, since business was slow, I was at a dealership and did a launch on ludicrous mode in a 90D. Words can't describe it, but it's I really doubt I would use it for anything really necessary. That degree and type of power is unforgettable. From what I understand, it's mostly upgraded current handling between the battery and motors, involving wiring, contactors, inverter parts, to get 1500 amps from point A to B.

That said, everyone that rides in my 70D can't believe how fast it is. It's good enough, but if you know how much faster a 90D is, I can see it would be tempting. I'm saving the extra money for insurance. Based on my understanding of the ludicrous upgrade, it's pushing design limits a bit. I'm sort of liking being pinned to the seat during acceleration while knowing I'm not pushing the car quite as hard.

I think a good way to get to the real answer of this thread is for people to explain why the acceleration of a 90D is needed. After all the churning of Tesla vs Volt 0-30 times, is there really a Tesla that isn't fast enough ?

Reactions: chriSharek
I think a good way to get to the real answer of this thread is for people to explain why the acceleration of a 90D is needed. After all the churning of Tesla vs Volt 0-30 times, is there really a Tesla that isn't fast enough ?

I just wasn't that impressed with the acceleration of the 70D - not sure why. Maybe because I also drove the P90DL and you're absolutely right - not sure how many times I would do that or "need" that. So, I justified and settled into a 90D - thinking it was the best balance of range and performance.

Great discussion here. My two cents is that when you are paying around $80k for an optioned up 70D. The additional cost of $13k (to get 90D) is really nothing. You are going from $80k to $93k, which is only 16% increase. If you are trying to save money, you shouldn't buy any Tesla at all (or any car that cost $80k+). Like other have pointed out, 90D comes with more range, better acceleration at any speed, and faster supercharing speed. Plus, you can show off your new roller coaster to scare all your passengers. Worth the 16% increase in cost in my opinion :)

Reactions: chriSharek