Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got Delivery notice today - Devon, PA.. picking car up next Friday ! Will post experience
Picked up the car Friday as scheduled. Overall experience was good. The Tesla delivery check in rep opened the car and told me take my time with inspecting the car.
Overall the car is in good shape.. no panel or paint issues apparent to me. Interior headliner had slight marks that the rep cleaned out. The brake pedal has a unsightly weld that the rep opened a case for but not sure if they will replace.
The car was originally at 50% charge and they super charged it to 90% at my request.
Car drives well but the road noise, wind noise, squeaks and rattles are more noticable than my 2018 Audi A6. Acceleration is way better though :)

The Model X 7-seat I believe has air vents and heated seats fot the 3rd row and costs an extra $3,500.

I find the new $4,000 extra for the 7-seat Model Y to be a little bit pricey.
Yes it is very pricey. Unfortunately we're kinda not liking the gull wing doors on the X. While they are awesome for loading unloading kids. Don't know about the long term reliability and issues opening and closing sometimes. Y can utilize a roof rack when the X does not.

The 3rd row space in the X is much more comfortable but again there is no room behind if you're going on a road trip with lots of kids and need to lug a bunch of things. We find the Y has better options as you can utilize a roof rack.

Reactions: vickh
Yes it is very pricey. Unfortunately we're kinda not liking the gull wing doors on the X. While they are awesome for loading unloading kids. Don't know about the long term reliability and issues opening and closing sometimes. Y can utilize a roof rack when the X does not.

The 3rd row space in the X is much more comfortable but again there is no room behind if you're going on a road trip with lots of kids and need to lug a bunch of things. We find the Y has better options as you can utilize a roof rack.
100%. I was also interested in MX at first, but switched to MY for these reasons and some more. This is one of the best videos I’ve seen on this topic:
They’re two neighbours, one owns MX and the other got MY, and they discuss mainly the differences in detail.

Yes it is very pricey.

Yes, unfortunaly.

The Model X is only 11 inches longer than the Model Y, but costs twice as much (especially if you qualify for the Tax rebate, see detail below).
I understand that the Model X has air suspension, and the falcon doors are costly, but both the Model X and the Mdel Y have almost the same range.

Unfortunately we're kinda not liking the gull wing doors on the X.
While they are awesome for loading unloading kids.
Don't know about the long term reliability and issues opening and closing sometimes.

I wish there was a Model Y "Plus" with 7 "real" seats and "regular" doors,
a little bit longer than the Model Y, similar to the time when there was a Toyota Prius "V",
and costing may be only $10,000 more than the Model Y with 5 seats.

To pay an extra $4,000 just for a tiny folding 3rd row, and sliding rails for the second row, is a kind of rip-off, IMO.
Also there is no extra vents and no heated seats for the Model Y 3rd row.

Y can utilize a roof rack when the X does not.
The 3rd row space in the X is much more comfortable
but again there is no room behind if you're going on a road trip with lots of kids and need to lug a bunch of things.

We find the Y has better options as you can utilize a roof rack.

I would recommend using a Tow Hitch Box instead of a Roof Rack Box to get a better consumption to carry extra load.

I would be curious to know the number of 5 seats Model Y versus 7 seats Model Y sold in US,
and also the number of 6 and 7 seats Model X sold in US compared to the 7 seats Model Y.

See the today price calculation and difference between the Model Y and the Model X:

$_97,490 Model X
$______0 Tow package (included)
$__3,500 Seven seats
--------------------------------------
$100,990 Model X price (7 seats - 20" wheels)

$_49,990 Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
$__4,000 Seven Seat Interior
$__1,000 Tow package
------------------------------------------------------
$_54,990 Vehicle Price
$_-$7,500 Federal tax credit
$_47,490 Model Y Price - 19" wheels (if You Qualify for tax credit)

$100,990 Model X - 7 seats - 20" wheels
$_47,490 Model Y - 7 seats - 19" wheels
-----------------------------------------------
$_53,500 Price difference between the Model Y and the Model X:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT and vickh
Yes, unfortunaly.

The Model X is only 11 inches longer than the Model Y, but costs twice as much (especially if you qualify for the Tax rebate, see detail below).
I understand that the Model X has air suspension, and the falcon doors are costly, but both the Model X and the Mdel Y have almost the same range.

I wish there was a Model Y "Plus" with 7 "real" seats and "regular" doors,

a little bit longer than the Model Y, similar to the time when there was a Toyota Prius "V",
and costing may be only $10,000 more than the Model Y with 5 seats.

To pay an extra $4,000 just for a tiny folding 3rd row, and sliding rails for the second row, is a kind of rip-off, IMO.
Also there is no extra vents and no heated seats for the Model Y 3rd row.

I would recommend using a Tow Hitch Box instead of a Roof Rack Box to get a better consumption to carry extra load.

I would be curious to know the number of 5 seats Model Y versus 7 seats Model Y sold in US,
and also the number of 6 and 7 seats Model X sold in US compared to the 7 seats Model Y.

See the today price calculation and difference between the Model Y and the Model X:

$_97,490 Model X
$______0 Tow package (included)
$__3,500 Seven seats
--------------------------------------
$100,990 Model X price (7 seats - 20" wheels)

$_49,990 Model Y Long Range Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
$__4,000 Seven Seat Interior
$__1,000 Tow package
$_54,990 Vehicle Price
$_-$7,500 Federal tax credit
$_47,490 Model Y Price - 19" wheels (if You Qualify for tax credit)

$100,990 Model X - 7 seats - 20" wheels
$_47,490 Model Y - 7 seats - 19" wheels
-----------------------------------------------
$_53,500 Price difference between the Model Y and the Model X:

Very well put together. Appreciate this info.
I have no knowledge on Tow Hitch use.. and brief would be much appreciated. Is this something I’ll can add on after purchase ? And if that costs same/more?