Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 > 75 Upgrade now $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not quite sure how lower voltage would artificially limit acceleration. They have lower voltage because they have fewer cells, lower voltage equals lower acceleration. I don't see how anything in there is artificial. Also, I don't know of a single person who has ruined their battery pack by flooring there 100s on a daily basis. do you have data that we don't know about?
I suspect it's simply a limit on current to prevent battery damage. The limit is likely the same on 75, and 90 (same battery modules). It's just that on 75 the voltage is lower, power = voltage * current, so power is less at the same current. Whether it's "artificial" I guess would depend on your definition - there is software that controls the current drawn out of the battery, so you could claim artificial if comparing it with no current limit at all (which could kill the battery on the spot, as I've done with some lithium ion batteries on my RC helicopters in the past - they battery actually catches on fire, or at least if produces massive amounts of smoke when too much current is allowed to be drawn). Btw, if this is in fact a current limit, then charging to 100% will in fact allow slightly more power to be delivered, but only for a short time as the LiPo battery voltage drops really fast when discharging from 100% SoC, then drops slowly for most of the mid-SoC, then faster again at some low SoC.

I suspect it's simply a limit on current to prevent battery damage. The limit is likely the same on 75, and 90 (same battery modules). It's just that on 75 the voltage is lower, power = voltage * current, so power is less at the same current. Whether it's "artificial" I guess would depend on your definition - there is software that controls the current drawn out of the battery, so you could claim artificial if comparing it with no current limit at all (which could kill the battery on the spot, as I've done with some lithium ion batteries on my RC helicopters in the past - they battery actually catches on fire, or at least if produces massive amounts of smoke when too much current is allowed to be drawn). Btw, if this is in fact a current limit, then charging to 100% will in fact allow slightly more power to be delivered, but only for a short time as the LiPo battery voltage drops really fast when discharging from 100% SoC, then drops slowly for most of the mid-SoC, then faster again at some low SoC.

Perhaps I'm incorrect, it was my understanding that the 75 had fewer modules than the 90s, and the lower voltage was a result of that. Thus both voltage and current draw capabilities would be lower.

Perhaps I'm incorrect, it was my understanding that the 75 had fewer modules than the 90s, and the lower voltage was a result of that. Thus both voltage and current draw capabilities would be lower.

Yes, 75 has 14 vs 16 on the 90 and 100. I believe the 100 changes the arrangements of the individual cells within each module and there are some additional cooling system changes.

I have a feeling they did. I hope they unlock some speed in the future considering the model 3 will be the same 0-60 as my model s 75

It's a smaller lighter car. The S was always going to have a harder time competing. Yours is an apple to Apple comparison as a non dual motor (lighter) but I wouldn't be surprised if your car actually could clock faster than advertised times and beat a base 3. It would make sense for Tesla to now boost the base S stats to create more separation among models of sedans rather than among range and performance variants.

• Informative
Reactions: BigTonyTones
It depends on how the modules are connected - parallel or in series. Parallel connection provides the sum of the currents, series stacks up the voltages. You can google it, but think of it this way - if you have 2 LiPo batteries that each has 3.7V and can provide 1A of current, you can either:
1. Connected them in series, you will get 7.2V but still only 1A max current
2. Connected them in parallel and you will get 3.7V but 2A max current

AFAIK Tesla modules are connected in series, therefore providing higher voltage (but the same current). In a 75KWh battery 14 modules provide nominal 350V, in a 90KWh 16 modules provide 400V. Inside the modules they have cells that are connected both in parallel and series, but the modules are the same between 75 and 90 batteries so that doesn't make a difference for this comparison.

• Informative
Reactions: BigTonyTones