Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6.2 Trip Planner - Observation: Keeps you above 20% SOC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally like my own routes better. The trip planner, no offense, seems to be doing "EVs For Dummies" routing.... which is, honestly, probably what the masses need.

Me, I'll drive to < 5% SoC without sweating.

I personally like my own routes better. The trip planner, no offense, seems to be doing "EVs For Dummies" routing.... which is, honestly, probably what the masses need.

Me, I'll drive to < 5% SoC without sweating.

Besides the energy prediction to destination function does pretty well and extrapolates over the last 5-10 miles, using current conditions including temps, wind, weather, etc. If the predicted battery energy remaining at your destination drops below 5-10%, just slow down and check again in 5-10 miles. This level of nuance is difficult to put in the Trip Planner, but is straight forward to the experienced, human EV driver.

After using the energy prediction tool from Colorado to California and back again, I am very comfortable charging from Supercharger to Supercharger with a buffer of 10% in good weather. That makes for many Supercharger stops where you almost don't have time to go to the bathroom and stretch your legs before you have enough charge to drive again.

I've got a nice one today. Returning from Minneapolis, the car decided I need to go through supercharger. Instead of plotting the route to Rochester directly (~90 mi) it detoured through Albert Lea (~130 miles total trip). When I took the correct road it stubbornly tried to re-route to Albert Lea. When there were no options left but to go to Rochester, it plotted a route through my destination point to Albert Lea and warned me I will not be able to make it without charging.

Also, my range remains below what other people are reporting on P85D - range on, tires at 50 psi. I cannot get below 350 Wh/mi at 74 mph...

Here are the pics
weird navigation.JPG
weird navigation2.JPG
weird navigation3.JPG

I've got a nice one today. Returning from Minneapolis, the car decided I need to go through supercharger. Instead of plotting the route to Rochester directly (~90 mi) it detoured through Albert Lea (~130 miles total trip). When I took the correct road it stubbornly tried to re-route to Albert Lea. When there were no options left but to go to Rochester, it plotted a route through my destination point to Albert Lea and warned me I will not be able to make it without charging.

Also, my range remains below what other people are reporting on P85D - range on, tires at 50 psi. I cannot get below 350 Wh/mi at 74 mph...

Since it doesn't know you have charging available at your destination it is planning that you don't. Once you've charged there once it won't do that again. If you have charged there already, then it's definitely buggy. :smile:

Since it doesn't know you have charging available at your destination it is planning that you don't. Once you've charged there once it won't do that again. If you have charged there already, then it's definitely buggy. :smile:

Destination was home, you would imagine it knew that since it was labelled "home" and charged there daily for last 3 months. It did not bother me as I knew I can make it there. I am just much less confident to use the trip planner for going places I am not familiar with. Hopefully a trip to Chicago does not route me through Miami :wink:

Version .251 improvement?

Last night Got version .251 and trip planner seems to be more logical. Routed to a SC (first one on route) that was not in range but was the closest to my preferred route. It also gave a warning that charge was needed. Before .251 it routed me hundreds of extra miles just to use the closest SCs.:eek: