Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 States in an MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard about west coast port strikes today so I used the phone app to check on the car.I I expected it to be sitting on a boat offshore, waiting to be unloaded. I dropped it off ten days ago and it was scheduled to arrive on feb. 27th. Now I see that it hasn't even left the place where I dropped it off!!! I'll have to go check on it tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to have a long wait in California for the car to arrive.

I was just thinking that anyone waitng for their new tesla to be shipped to Hawaii would be frustrated because of the extended wait due to the port strikes. Forgot about shipments going out of Hawaii!

I spoke to a woman at the shipping company. She sounded very competent, authoritative and confident. All the numbers she had for the booking, container and ship matched mine and she insisted that the car is on the west coast in Tacoma, WA already. I checked my Tesla app again. It seems to have a glitch. The address given in small print on the home page is for Tacoma, but the map shows it still here in Hawaii. I suspect it's something to do with having been put into a container and the signal. Has anyone else had this experience?

I spoke to a woman at the shipping company. She sounded very competent, authoritative and confident. All the numbers she had for the booking, container and ship matched mine and she insisted that the car is on the west coast in Tacoma, WA already. I checked my Tesla app again. It seems to have a glitch. The address given in small print on the home page is for Tacoma, but the map shows it still here in Hawaii. I suspect it's something to do with having been put into a container and the signal. Has anyone else had this experience?

Fritts, It seems like a decade ago, but back in mid 2013, TM would sometimes leave or turn remote access on in CA before the car was shipped. And for part of the trip over, the owner could track their car via the app while it left the west coast and just as it got to Hawaii cell range. So, to answer your question, we sort-of could track our cars and find it via the app. So I guess the container did not block the signals. Sometime after mid '13, they made sure they turned remote access off before it was loaded in the container. We heard it might be because the folks on the ship got tired of hearing us blow the horn. With the car in the container, they though someone was trapped in the container?

But maybe your app is showing one location because it was within cell range, but another part of the signal back to the mother ship didn't receive a GPS update, or something like that?

Does anyone recommend a blog website? I'd like to start a blog. In 2014, Lita and I became the first to drive everywhere in the US in an electric car. In 2015, Peter (Papafox) from Hawaii and his dog, Iceman, became the second. Now, it's 2016, and to the best of my knowledge, no one else has picked up the mantle and is brave enough to do it, so I'll be doing it again. This time with an added catch, without spending any money. To demonstrate the fuel cost savings and ease of cross country travel in an electric vehicle, I'll just bring a cooler of food, some dry goods, and off I'll go.