Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 AMP Extension Cord--important to Have??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you'd only need a 30 amp cord for that (20 amp cord in my case as my washer and dryer are on 20 amp circuits).

true. but in the case where there is a 50amp plug somewhere that isnt reachable, the 30amp isn't going to cut it for you. rather than carrying 2 cords around (and double the expense), I carry one along with a bunch of [xxx] to 14-50 adapters. you can always go bigger gauge but not vise versa.

true. but in the case where there is a 50amp plug somewhere that isnt reachable, the 30amp isn't going to cut it for you. rather than carrying 2 cords around (and double the expense), I carry one along with a bunch of [xxx] to 14-50 adapters. you can always go bigger gauge but not vise versa.
Obviously it depends on your individual situation. Because I mostly use either RV Parks or Superchargers (when available) I've not had any need for an extension cord. If you are using other kinds of outlets, you could have a need for one. However, unless you have a good indication that you'll need one there's little point in purchasing one.

Obviously it depends on your individual situation. Because I mostly use either RV Parks or Superchargers (when available) I've not had any need for an extension cord. If you are using other kinds of outlets, you could have a need for one. However, unless you have a good indication that you'll need one there's little point in purchasing one.

well yea obviously. if you're only going 5 miles to work and back daily and never go on road trips then you don't even need to carry around your UMC let alone third party extension cords and adapters.

It know it's the exact same one because when I click the amaZon link my account shows "you purchased this item on xxxx date", lol so yes it's the exact one linked.
Don't think I'm calling you a liar (I'm not), but I don't know how it could work for you. Maybe you got shipped the wrong thing? Electrically, you can't have one adapter that powers both legs in an RV and provides 120V to your UMC to charge. The wiring just isn't compatible.

See the description for the adapters linked below:

Also, these TT-30P/14-50R adapters are wired correctly for charging (but not for an RV):

NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter
NEMA 14-50R to TT-30P RV Plug Adapter Cord

They both clearly say "not for RV use." The more detailed explaination says:

Our unique adapter has a compact profile and is custom-wired specifically for compatibility with the Tesla charger. For electric car charging only - not suitable for RV use.

Please note:
You may have seen similar adapters sold elsewhere. Although they look the same, they are wired very differently inside. Those adapters are wired for RV use and will not work with the Tesla. Ours is wired for the Tesla and will not work with RVs.

See
Cosmacelf's adapters doc, pages 9-10 for more explaination.

I made a 50A extension cord using SOOW 6/3 and a Camco 14-50P + 14-50R, with the neutral disconnected

Me too. I initially bought the Amazon one but it's too big, stiff and bulky.

It's hard to imagine where someone would actually use a NEMA 14-50 extension cord.
lake-charging.jpg

Here's where. I unplug the range at my cabin and run the extension cord out the window as you can see in the picture. It's faster than the dryer outlet but if we need to cook, I plug it into the dryer instead (window to the left is the laundry room). I was surprised to see that under the range there is a 14-50 socket in the cupboard. By removing the neutral plug, the extension cord fits both dryer and range outlets. I plan to build a garage and install a HPWC but this works great until then. But this extension cord is dangerous if used for anything else, such as an RV.

Last edited:
You can still use the 30 amp cord if you have the right plug and are careful to turn the current down. 30 amp (actually 24) is generally plenty of charging rate if you are spending one night or more.

jcaspar886224 said:
30 amp (actually 24) is generally plenty of charging rate if you are spending one night or more.

That's the same argument hotels make for a 30 amp "charger" being enough because people stay overnight. But when I arrive at my cabin with a low battery and want to visit friends at other cabins not long after arrival, those extra 10 amps mean a whole lot. That's why HPWC's are so important at hotels -- because many people arrive, check in, have a shower or what not and then like to go out before returning to the hotel to sleep. And that's also why a 40 amp cord is better than a 30 amp one.

Last edited:
I have the 50' cord and made adapters for 10-30 and 14-30 to 14-50 so I can use one cord to rule them all .. and have a way to extend any of the common 240v outlets I'm going to encounter. I almost needed it a couple weeks ago in VT when I stayed at a cabin but the UMC actually reached into the washer/dryer room and to the 14-30 that's there. I like to have all charging capabilities on-hand in case I need it, but I've honestly never used it. I feel a lot more relaxed having them and I also make decisions on whether to take the Tesla based on simply having the cords with me just in case I need them. Depends on where you're taking your car ...

It really depends on where you travel. Based on my experience of traveling from az to Fairbanks Alaska, if you are hitting charging stations or RV parks, you don't need it. If power is scarce, cord is important. These are heavy, heavy cords, affecting your range. I go by with a30 foot one.

Guy

I made up a proper 75' 14-50 extension cord when I first got the car two years ago, "just in case". I've carried that heavy thing on occasion but have never needed to use it. The presence of Superchargers and the availability of outlets where I need them has largely negated any need for it.

(Of course, I do occasionally carry the parts and supplies necessary to install an outlet in "friendly" locations. But that's very rare anymore.)

I have a 50A extension cord and have found it to be useful. At one of the places I visit the parking space where a NEMA 14-50 outlet exists the parking spot is very narrow and next to a wall, making it impossible to back in. If I park normally the UMC cable has trouble reaching the outlet so I use my extension cord. Until I got my HPWC I used a NEMA 14-30 extension cord I made to use my dryer outlet since nobody seems to make a 14-30 extension cord.

So another random datapoint. Today I was in Thermal, CA (near Indio) having lunch at the horse show facility trying to figure out how I was going to get home without using the Indio Supercharger when I spied an electrical panel with two NEMA 14-50 receptacles and a TT-30 receptacle attached to it. My trusty 30' 50 amp extension cord was just long enough to reach it from the parking lot. Worked great for the five hours I was here today.

Again, all depends on your lifestyle and how you use your car as to whether a 50A extension cord is worth it for you.

So another random datapoint. Today I was in Thermal, CA (near Indio) having lunch at the horse show facility trying to figure out how I was going to get home without using the Indio Supercharger when I spied an electrical panel with two NEMA 14-50 receptacles and a TT-30 receptacle attached to it. My trusty 30' 50 amp extension cord was just long enough to reach it from the parking lot. Worked great for the five hours I was here today.

Again, all depends on your lifestyle and how you use your car as to whether a 50A extension cord is worth it for you.

Meh. Drive on the grass. :)

I pick up my P85D soon. Wondering how many owners carry a 50 AMP Extension cord and/or a Dogbone Electrical Adapter just in case.

I use the 30' extension (Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive) when I visit my parents for destination charging. Normal outlets aren't fast enough and the only high power outlet they have is in the laundry room quite far from where you can park a car. I've used it several times with no issues and it made a stressful trip (first time using just normal outlets) much more fun now that I have plenty of juice.

In the end I think it depends on your situation. I waited until I had a specific need then I researched and bought the bits I needed. I needed this extension cord and an adapter I found on EVSEadapters.com:
img_3393.jpg

When you're not sure make sure you have a fallback. I did the math and knew a 15A 120V plug would get me back to the SC grid if I kept plugged in for the whole 3 days I was visiting and it did.