Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6-50 Extension Cords Travel Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MY LR scheduled for June; I was thinking of what setup I should get for charging while traveling.

There are a lot of AirBNB, friends houses, campgrounds, etc where I could do level 2 charging. The main decision is what format extension cord to buy, and while most people are using 14-50; the 6-50 standard has a smaller lighter cheaper cable that I found.

The cable is 40ft; with 8AWG wire for $113. The 14-50 cables I'm seeing are well over $200 for 50 feet. So my thought is buy the following items, Tesla adapter, extension cable, and common 240volt adapters that go to 6-50 receptacles;

Tesla 6-50 adapter $45
Maxworks 40ft 6-50 Extension Cord $113
Onetak 14-50P adapter $20
Onetak 10-50P adapter $26
Onetak 10-30P adapter $19
Parksworld TT-30P to 14-50R adapter $26
Extra Maxworks 40ft 6-50 Extension Cord $113
Extra Tesla 14-50 adapter $45

So that comes out to a 6-50 setup of $250 or with the two extras $408. For a similar comprehensive setup of 14-50 adapters and a 50' cord I'd be at $462, and a bonus 25' cord pushing that to $595.

The 6-50 cord also looks thinner/lighter/smaller, and the 6-50 adapters are smaller without any short cord between both ends. For the 14-50P to 6-50R adapter I could cut off the neutral lead so it fits in either a 14-50 or 14-30 outlet. The smaller 6-50 cable should be fine for the 32amp limit of the Tesla mobile charger, even if I string two of them together.

I'd have a setup that could connect to all the common 240volt outlets in a house while traveling. Does anybody have any feedback on this plan?

Reactions: charlesoris
You don't need most of the items you listed. The Tesla Model Y comes with the Gen2 Mobile Connector with NEMA 5-15 plug adapter (120V/15A). 99% of the time this is the only plug adapter you will need, outlet you can rely on finding available. Unless you confirm in advance that there is a 240V receptacle you are most likely to find only 120V (either NEMA 5-15 or NEMA 5-20.)

For 240V the NEMA 14-50 is the defacto standard 240V receptacle for 240V charging at campgrounds, RV parks (when 240V is offered at all.) The other common receptacle found at campgrounds and RV parks is called the travel trailer 30 (TT-30) This is a 120V/30A receptacle. Tesla does not offer a TT-30 power plug adapter but if you plan on camping it might be worth purchasing the TT-30 plug adapter from EVSE Adapters.

The most useful charging accessory already comes with the Tesla Model Y. Every Tesla vehicle comes with an SAE J1772 charging adapter. This adapter will enable you to charge from any public Level 1(120V) or more commonly Level 2(240V) charging station. In many places you can find Level 2 charging that does not cost you anything to charge. You can use Google maps or PlugShare on your phone to locate available public EV charging stations.

Tesla does not recommend using an extension cord to charge but sometimes, when traveling, this is the only way to reach a power outlet. A good quality 120V extension cord, 12 gauge preferred, 14 gauge is usually adequate if you keep the length of the extension cord to no more than 50 ft, in any case no more than 100 ft. You can find 10 gauge extension cords but they are overkill for using the NEMA 5-15 plug adapter (120V/15A) which enables charging at a maximum of 120V and 12A.

The NEMA 6-50 is more common in Canada than in the US. The NEMA 14-50 includes a ground connection and a neutral connection wire. The NEMA 6-50 does not have the neutral connection. The NEMA 6-50 is sometimes found, used for welding equipment. The NEMA 14-50 is used with kitchen appliances such a wall ovens and range/stoves. The NEMA 14-50 is also used to provide power for large RV motorhomes.

The combination of extension cords and plug adapters you listed requires additional interconnects with each plug and adapter. You want to minimize the number of interconnects in the charging circuit as the interconnects are most likely source of a bad connection, increased resistance and overheating.

Short list:

Tesla NEMA 14-50 plug adapter
Tesla NEMA 5-20 plug adapter (25% faster charging than when using the 5-15 plug adapter on a 20A circuit.)
EVSE Adapters TT-30 plug adapter
50 ft. to 100 ft. 12 gauge (but not smaller than 14 gauge) 120V extension cord

If you use the SAE J1772 adapter to charge at home then you may want to purchase a second J1772 adapter to keep in the Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
14 gauge is usually adequate if you keep the length of the extension cord to no more than 50 ft, in any case no more than 100 ft

I saw a youtube where guy was testing voltage drop over length, so he got a bunch of extension cables and plugged them in in series, first one then two then three etc and measured the resulting drop

The funny thing though was that every time he added a cable, he moved his car further down his (massive) driveway. In the end you could barely see the wall connector

Short list:

Tesla NEMA 14-50 plug adapter
Tesla NEMA 5-20 plug adapter (25% faster charging than when using the 5-15 plug adapter on a 20A circuit.)
EVSE Adapters TT-30 plug adapter
50 ft. to 100 ft. 12 gauge (but not smaller than 14 gauge) 120V extension cord

If you use the SAE J1772 adapter to charge at home then you may want to purchase a second J1772 adapter to keep in the Tesla vehicle.
Very helpful, this is basically my pre-purchase list as well (14-50 / 5-20 pigtails for the mobile charger, 120v extension cord).

The probability of public charging infrastructure plus the above NOT meeting any travel needs is quite slim. No interest in glamping so the TT-30 isn't needed now, but good to know in case that changes in the future.

Where exactly would you be traveling that you would not be able to charge at one of the following:

A) Supercharger
B) Public Level 2 charging station
C) 120V outlet

The Plugshare app will locate charging locations; Google Maps can display Tesla Supercharger and Destination Charger locations and EV charging locations.

• Funny
Reactions: Corndart
Where exactly would you be traveling that you would not be able to charge at one of the following:

A) Supercharger
B) Public Level 2 charging station
C) 120V outlet

The Plugshare app will locate charging locations; Google Maps can display Tesla Supercharger and Destination Charger locations and EV charging locations.
National Park in Airbnb.
i can with 120 V but that’s so slow.
both choice A and B requires me to wait at charging station.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to go back to your Airbnb and charge overnight while you sit next to fireplace with coffee? By am you got a full charge.

Waiting at a Supecharger while charging is a short term inconvenience. I would focus on refining your 120V charging options by adding NEMA 5-20 plug adapter, a 120V extension cord. You may not need a full charge overnight, just enough for daily driving around inside the park and to reach the interstate and a Supercharger when you leave the park.

Waiting at a Supecharger while charging is a short term inconvenience. I would focus on refining your 120V charging options by adding NEMA 5-20 plug adapter, a 120V extension cord. You may not need a full charge overnight, just enough for daily driving around inside the park and to reach the interstate and a Supercharger when you leave the park.
I must be missing something being a newbie. According to Tesla site NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 5-20 only charges at 3-4 miles per hour. So if Tesla already included 5-15 why buy 5-20 if you only gain 1 mile per hour? What am I missing ? Thanks for e

There are many options we can charge and wait. More options the merrier.

I must be missing something being a newbie. According to Tesla site NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 5-20 only charges at 3-4 miles per hour. So if Tesla already included 5-15 why buy 5-20 if you only gain 1 mile per hour? What am I missing ? Thanks for e

There are many options we can charge and wait. More options the merrier.
The table has been shown to be incorrect. The actual number of miles of range added per hour when charging using the NEMA 5-20 (enables charging at 120V and 16A on a 20A circuit) power plug adapter is 6 to 7 miles per hour. (For comparison the 6-20 power plug adapter (enables charging at 240V and 16A charging on a 20A circuit) will add 12 to 14 miles of range per hour when charging. The NEMA 5-20 power plug should be capable of approximately half as many miles as the NEMA 6-20 power plug with the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector when charging. Low temperatures can reduce the effective charging rate. At 120V there is limited power to charge while also warming the battery pack.

Last edited:
I carry the following in my car:

- Gen2 MC
- 5-15 MC Adapter
- 14-30 MC Adapter
- 14-50 MC Adapter
- 30' 14-30 Extension Cable
- 5-15R to 14-30 Adapter

Using the Gen2 with 14-50 is ideal and what I use at home or at a place with a 50a outlet available. Using the 14-30 Adapter (with extension cord if needed) works while visiting almost any house built after 1990 (standard dryer plug). Obviously, the 5-15 (with the 5-15R Adapter + Extension Cord if needed) covers all other scenarios. The 30a extension cord is MUCH lighter and easier to work with vs one rated for 50a. Even a 15' cord gives you close to 30' range (with the MC cord) from a dryer outlet in a pinch.

- Gen2 MC
- 5-15 MC Adapter
- 14-30 MC Adapter
- 14-50 MC Adapter
- 5-15R to 14-30 Adapter

Using the Gen2 with 14-50 is ideal and what I use at home or at a place with a 50a outlet available. Using the 14-30 Adapter (with extension cord if needed) works while visiting almost any house built after 1990 (standard dryer plug). Obviously, the 5-15 (with the 5-15R Adapter + Extension Cord if needed) covers all other scenarios. The 30a extension cord is MUCH lighter and easier to work with vs one rated for 50a. Even a 15' cord gives you close to 30' range (with the MC cord) from a dryer outlet in a pinch.
Doesn’t 14-50 MC adapter + this extension cord (from evadapter..linked below) achieve what you want without need to get other adapters?

this connects to you 14-50 adapter on one end and the other end 3 plug design to any dryer plug from 14-30, 14-50 or 14-60.

Doesn’t 14-50 MC adapter + this extension cord (from evadapter..linked below) achieve what you want without need to get other adapters?

this connects to you 14-50 adapter on one end and the other end 3 plug design to any dryer plug from 14-30, 14-50 or 14-60.

I prefer a 14-30 extension cord because the cord is thinner/lighter (8-10awg vs 6awg) so easier to maneuver and transport. 6awg wiring is extremely bulky and hard to work with.

- Gen2 MC
- 5-15 MC Adapter
- 14-30 MC Adapter
- 14-50 MC Adapter
- 5-15R to 14-30 Adapter

Great post. I like your setup.

I'm wondering about a slightly modified version of your idea; use a 10-30 extension cord.

It's even lighter and cheaper than 14-30 as it's three 10awg wires instead of four. Neutral prong on 14-30 or 14-50 is unused for EVs. Downside is it might need more adapters.

Easy. Anywhere near Youngstown, OH. It's a EV charger desert. 120V isn't very helpful and no A) or B)s. Which is why I carry a heavy-duty extension cord to charge at in-laws who have an electric dryer.
Funny you mention this, I’m heading out on a cross country journey stopping there and couldn’t find any easy supercharger stops. Lucky my father has a 6-50 in his shop