Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40 to P85 - The Journey from sensible to HOLY ****

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post reflects my exact thought processes a few months ago when it was time to finalize, and I am sure it has occurred with many others. I will however pose the counter argument that the 60 is really the most "responsible" option depending of course on how you will use the car. I, for one, very rarely need to drive >180 miles, and if so, then a little pause at a supercharger is worth the $8K to me. In addition, I knew (much as you do) that if I got the S85, I would HAVE to get the P85 - "whats another couple thousand dollars when your price point is $100K?" - I would argue to myself. Then I would play those words back in my head and realize that my daydreaming got away from me - I already feel guilty enough about such a lavish gift for myself after all. It then came to settle that the 60 was the best of both worlds - yeah (with options/SC access) I crossed the 80K mark, but at least now I can argue that I could have been MORE irresponsible! At least, that is how I rationalized it before I got my car. Now I am just content, if not at little obsessed :)

So a few months ago my journey into the world of Tesla began.
Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

The road to eternal financial damnation is paved with "it's not that much more and makes a lot of sense" statements.

Clearly, this is the quote of the day! With your permission, I will use this quote again, and again.
That's how I ended up with the 85kWh Model S. However, I didn't dare bring up the "P" discussion with my wife.

Clearly, this is the quote of the day! With your permission, I will use this quote again, and again.
That's how I ended up with the 85kWh Model S. However, I didn't dare bring up the "P" discussion with my wife.

I worked my justification down from above instead of the other way around and I used the P discussion to justify to myself (and my wife) that i was being frugal by not going for the most expensive options. In fact, I told her, it was fourth on the list when you take into account the sp85, p85 and s85 versions ...

Last edited:
I got the 85 and while I wish I'd popped for the P85, I'm absolutely happy with what I got. My biggest regret is not getting dual chargers. I somehow equated the dual chargers with being able to get faster charging at home, where I really don't need it. But on road trips it would be very handy, especially at Tesla stores/service centers.

Great description of the well paved road to financial damnation! we went through a very similar process. Really, it came down to the fact that I kept doing test drives on performance versions and every time I came away with having all my reservations eliminated and an undeniable feeling that "I must have this car!". The most common quote I hear coming from passengers when I show them what the car can do is "Holly Sh*t! The other most common quote is "this is the future of cars". As said, if you can swing the cost, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME! I can't tell you how much money I've spent redoing decisions down the line just because I held back on what I really wanted.

The TESLA Model S Performance: ZERO to OMG - ZERO Guilt!

no manufacturer has pulled this off before and you get to become an ambassador of mind boggling performance! Indeed the cost is high, but the Value = Priceless!

I had basically the same cost 'growth' as you. Good thing I stopped it at the regular 85kWh.

When Gen III comes around I am not going to hold back. Either me or my wife will end up with a maxed out performance version.
I agree here -- I think the Performance Gen III is going to be an astounding car. Smaller size will make it much more fun to toss than the MSP. So I decided to hold on to the extra $10k and put that in my Gen III fund.

My biggest regret is not getting dual chargers. I somehow equated the dual chargers with being able to get faster charging at home, where I really don't need it. But on road trips it would be very handy, especially at Tesla stores/service centers.
You can retrofit the dual charger; it's listed in the Tesla shop at teslamotors.com .