Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Loaners, 0 Working Pano Roofs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As these cars age, the pano roof, and air suspension are going to be constant problems. It's too bad that Tesla made them seem like a "must" on the early cars. It was easy to predict, as other manufacturers have had the same problems.

Lexus has never had a leaky sunroof, especially not on the scale that Tesla has. Also, were they the new style or the old style sunroof?

There is one issue I know of with the pano roof, lubrication of the cables. If the roof starts juddering, take it in immediately for lubrication, which is trivial if you catch it early. If let go, the cables will stretch and it becomes a more significant job.

As far as having the pano roof, we love it and use it all the time, weather permitting.

As these cars age, the pano roof, and air suspension are going to be constant problems. It's too bad that Tesla made them seem like a "must" on the early cars. It was easy to predict, as other manufacturers have had the same problems.

If this was 2005 I might be inclined to agree with you but the air suspension systems have come a long way. Tesla's air suspension system is painfully simple, consisting of a compressor, a reservoir, distribution block, the lines and then the struts themselves. There isn't much to fail but when something does it's generally the compressor which is both easy to access and easy to replace. Even after 150,000 miles my 2007 A8 saw pretty much every component but the air suspension fail. The air suspension struts generally tend to last longer than their standard coil spring equivalents too.

As for the pano roof, that's surprising because I would assume that Tesla outsourced this and it's not exactly groundbreaking technology. I did notice that my current loaner's pano roof needs lubrication in a bad way. When it opens you can here it binding on the track.

Had the seal replaced. Otherwise has worked fine. Makes a slight shuddering sound if I open when it is below about 40deg, which don't tend to do. Just did it once in the garage for cleaning.
You may have lubrication issues with the cables. The local service center lubricated mine, which took just a few minutes, and it's now silent, but they did say that when people delay, the cables can get stretched which is a bigger problem.

Pano roof is a sad story. They have changed pano on mine 6 times, one for leaking issue and the 5 rest cause Og misalignment and squeaks. Waiting to change it again next month

7 pano issues? Are you joking? That's like lemon law return territory. :eek:
It sounds not like the Pano roofs had the issue, but the techs installing them were screwing up. They're not going to misalign themselves, they were installed misaligned. Whether that's a training issue or a documentation issue, hard to say. But had the techs done it right the first time, to include all necessary lubricant, one replacement should have been enough.

I've had no issues with my pano roof or my air suspension, but then again my car is only 2 ½ years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Very true, but air suspension is an option. All I was saying, is that coil cars are not going to have this problem.

A bicycle has even fewer problems...

Oh, come on now. I agree that 5y of ownership isn't long, but...

Just about any major component that needs to be fixed out of warranty is going to be a big ticket item.

Replacing shocks or struts on a Prius is a 3 figure repair not 4 figure. Well under 3 figure limits, like a couple of hundred a pair for the rears and you can do a single if only one goes bad.

I'd expect the same for the Leaf.

If the active suspension on the Model S goes south in a major way can you fix just one corner or one half or is it a replace the whole thing?

My only issue with my pano roof so far is that I wish it had a sliding sunshade as I had on other cars. Sometimes the sun comes in at a particular angle and glares off the 17 inch screen and that is pretty harsh. usually short-lived but still would be nice to be able to easily block it.
(And I realize my car is very young yet!)

My only issue with my pano roof so far is that I wish it had a sliding sunshade as I had on other cars. Sometimes the sun comes in at a particular angle and glares off the 17 inch screen and that is pretty harsh. usually short-lived but still would be nice to be able to easily block it.
(And I realize my car is very young yet!)
I find I don't need a sunshade after I put Photosync on the roof window. It's so much shadier than any other sunroof I've had even before that though. You may want to look into that if you don't have it on there already. There's one that just rejects heat and doesn't shade too much. Otherwise, I worry the car would be too dark inside.

I have had so many issues with mine pano since 2012. My first visit to a SC was on Day 5 of ownership beacuse the pano was getting stuck. I have also had lots of creeks, squeeks, shuddering and whistleing noise. The headliner cutout around the edge is also sloppy and uneven (looks like it was cut by a shaky hand and x-acto knife), but I guess that is what you get for an early car.

A few months ago at almost 90k miles the pano started jamming and clicking, the repairs were over $1200 for a right and left side drive motor assembly. Now the creeks, squeeks and rattles are back... The pano drives me crazy! Next time I have it at the SC, hopefully they can quiet it down, but if it breaks again it will just be a glass roof.