Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 day old New Model X - AC failure while on road trip vacation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure they will give you a replacement vehicle while its in the shop. If they don't give you a replacement vehicle so you can continue your trip in comfort while it gets repaired, I'd say pull the parachute. 7 day return policy. Get a rental to get through the vacation. Order a new one when when you get home if you aren't still jaded about the experience.

--UPDATE--

OP here. As planned, kept calling Monday am when shops opened until I spoke with someone. After expressing deep concern and calling back an hour later, I finally spoke to a technician. Pulled logs, and saw nothing specifically wrong with AC. While working on setting up a loaner/tow situation with Boston shot, he decided to take a shot on re-pushing out the newest firmware update 2019.20.4.2.

Thirty minutes later, while I'm sunning on the beach, i get a remote notification that install is finished. I take a deep breath, and turn the climate on LOW from my app.

I watch in near disbelief as the interior cabin temperature displayed on my app drops. 106...104.... 98....96.... and on down to 64. I shout to the wife, "watch the kids," and spring back over the dunes. I was thrilled as I approached the car to hear that noisy compressor doing it's thing.

From human contact with service department to fix: 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I called the technician back--even he was surprised it worked. So surprised that they are doing to continue to monitor things for the next many days and maybe check out in person next week when we are back.

I'm happy it's fixed and hope it stays that way. Impressed that they could fix remotely. Even the wife is pleased. Let's hope it keeps working!

For those of you with a new Raven who just got the update--keep an eye out for this! Could be a buggy thing. Let me know if it happens to you too!

--UPDATE--

OP here. As planned, kept calling Monday am when shops opened until I spoke with someone. After expressing deep concern and calling back an hour later, I finally spoke to a technician. Pulled logs, and saw nothing specifically wrong with AC. While working on setting up a loaner/tow situation with Boston shot, he decided to take a shot on re-pushing out the newest firmware update 2019.20.4.2.

Thirty minutes later, while I'm sunning on the beach, i get a remote notification that install is finished. I take a deep breath, and turn the climate on LOW from my app.

I watch in near disbelief as the interior cabin temperature displayed on my app drops. 106...104.... 98....96.... and on down to 64. I shout to the wife, "watch the kids," and spring back over the dunes. I was thrilled as I approached the car to hear that noisy compressor doing it's thing.

From human contact with service department to fix: 1 hour and 45 minutes.

I called the technician back--even he was surprised it worked. So surprised that they are doing to continue to monitor things for the next many days and maybe check out in person next week when we are back.

I'm happy it's fixed and hope it stays that way. Impressed that they could fix remotely. Even the wife is pleased. Let's hope it keeps working!

For those of you with a new Raven who just got the update--keep an eye out for this! Could be a buggy thing. Let me know if it happens to you too!

Glad to hear you didn't have to spend vacation time driving to a SC and that it seems the OTA fix worked!

Reactions: stc215
WOW @stc215 glad it is working again. With a car like this, I can understand if a software update would fix something as mundane as the AC. It is unfortunate though. It would have been nice that this could have been done sooner as a 'try this' sort of action. I would imagine that if it were something physical, this would not have fixed it, unless it was some sort of sensor that caused it to shutdown for some reason, and the update overwrote that sensor's info.

In any case, keeping an eye on it is a good plan and if it were me, I might even want to bring it in to a SC at some point to have them do a deeper dive, but maybe that is me just being overly worrisome.

--UPDATE #2---

OP back. After 24 hours of AC, it stopped working again.

And they re pushed the firmware update, and then it's worked again. So most likely some kind of a sensor/shut off thing for compressor that is getting reset by the firmware.

I have scheduled service for next week when we are back home. Will post again when I have definitive answer!

My experience with this has to do with running the vehicle in hot weather while we aren't in the vehicle.... basically the condenser freezes and blows hot.... turning off the AC and melting the ice, returns the car to normal. Forgive me if I'm not describing the AC unit anatomy correctly... either way, they said they are working on a firmware fix.... but this is a while ago.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
--UPDATE #2---

OP back. After 24 hours of AC, it stopped working again.

And they re pushed the firmware update, and then it's worked again. So most likely some kind of a sensor/shut off thing for compressor that is getting reset by the firmware.

I have scheduled service for next week when we are back home. Will post again when I have definitive answer!

stc... I had a very similar experience! Took delivery of our 2019 MX... brand new.... on 6/22/2019- very excited and love the vehicle! We drove up to our mountain home on 6/24 in Northern California with the temps in the high 90's,,,, AC worked great! Stopped to Supercharge after about 2 hours and when we came back to the vehicle and started travelling again we noticed only hot air blowing out of the vents! We did the same as you with the reboot and my wife wanted to turn around and head back to Sacramento- we are 1/2 to Mt Shasta so we kept going with windows down in high 90's heat.... tried to call and email while travelling and boy do I know that look you endured from your spouse with a high dollar new vehicle with no AC! Anyway we arrived and uncorked a nice Cab and relaxed in the cool mountain air. Did not have any contact from Tesla. The next morning I had a notice that there was a firmware update.... hoping against hope after the install I tried the AC and it worked fantastically! I was no longer in the dog house! It has worked fine since. Seemed to be a Firmware issue that they fixed but did not correspond with us at all. Now we are trying to get Tesla to load the FSD software that we paid for but was not loaded into the computer upon delivery....

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: TechVP and stc215
stc... I had a very similar experience! Took delivery of our 2019 MX... brand new.... on 6/22/2019- very excited and love the vehicle! We drove up to our mountain home on 6/24 in Northern California with the temps in the high 90's,,,, AC worked great! Stopped to Supercharge after about 2 hours and when we came back to the vehicle and started travelling again we noticed only hot air blowing out of the vents! We did the same as you with the reboot and my wife wanted to turn around and head back to Sacramento- we are 1/2 to Mt Shasta so we kept going with windows down in high 90's heat.... tried to call and email while travelling and boy do I know that look you endured from your spouse with a high dollar new vehicle with no AC! Anyway we arrived and uncorked a nice Cab and relaxed in the cool mountain air. Did not have any contact from Tesla. The next morning I had a notice that there was a firmware update.... hoping against hope after the install I tried the AC and it worked fantastically! I was no longer in the dog house! It has worked fine since. Seemed to be a Firmware issue that they fixed but did not correspond with us at all. Now we are trying to get Tesla to load the FSD software that we paid for but was not loaded into the computer upon delivery....
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing I will share with my technician too and let you know if I learn anything.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Also, mphelps, I choose to believe that all time Olympian Michael Phelps just helped me out on this forms while wearing all 23 gold medals and sipping Cabernet.

Closing the loop on this: picked up car from 4 working days in the shop. They checked everything and could not find anything mechanically wrong. There haven't been any A/C issues since the firmware updates. We can't replicate the issue. So they are chalking it up to a fluke with the 2019.20.4.1 update.

I'm not totally satisfied to not have a clear diagnosis, but I am glad to have my model x back! Driving the S loaner made me really happy to have the X!

Thanks everyone for help. Here's hoping there will ne many miles before any more issues!

Closing the loop on this: picked up car from 4 working days in the shop. They checked everything and could not find anything mechanically wrong. There haven't been any A/C issues since the firmware updates. We can't replicate the issue. So they are chalking it up to a fluke with the 2019.20.4.1 update.

I'm not totally satisfied to not have a clear diagnosis, but I am glad to have my model x back! Driving the S loaner made me really happy to have the X!

Thanks everyone for help. Here's hoping there will ne many miles before any more issues!

Out of curiosity, did you receive any messages in the car on the screen while this was all occurring? Did your accelerator pedal vibrate when you set the temp to LOW? Had something slightly similar occur, altho the AC never quit like yours in this case.

I wonder if a connector was not seated. if so, just jiggle the connector as part of the troubleshooting might have seated it. When I was a mechanic I saw stuff like this from time to time. Working the Central Valley of California, A/C troubleshooting and repair was a big part of our business.

Hopefully it was just one of those new car glitches that never repeats. FWIW the A/C on some cars also runs in the winter as part of the defrost system. So if you have issues with the windows not clearing it might be a recurrence of an A/C issue.

Had same issue on my new Model S (Not Raven) few weeks after delivery. Would work temporarily after reboot and recur again . Found to be a internal temperature/humidity sensor issue. Tesla promptly replaced it and it is no longer an issue now.

Hope this helps!

upload_2019-7-17_11-35-33.png