Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 day old New Model X - AC failure while on road trip vacation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE #4. Left on 235 mile round trip (with the same wife as original post but no kids this time). About an hour in, just pulling into the Palisades parkway from GWB, ac cuts out again. For those of you in the region, you understand that today was HOT (98 plus mega humidity). We have to make this trip so we try to make the best of it and schedule time to come into SC at end of day.

Well, 6 hours of no AC and high high temperatures is NO fun. By end of it in stop and go traffic on West side highway, our cabin was registering 97 degrees with all windows down.

We pull in with mild heat stroke and severe frustration. I ask them to pull all the internal temp logs and send them to me (they haven't sent yet). We ask them to walk us through the return policy (1200 miles on the car and about 4 weeks but we have had issue since mile 200 and day 4) and what other paths there are.

They now have car and we have our 2nd loaner. They are promising to make things better but I am losing confidence given that they had car for 4 days and claimed to check everything before. I'm worried I'll just get the same, vague firmware issue response.

Really exhausted and angry. Here's hoping. There's good news soon!

S

• Love
Reactions: mikeskuro
stc215 Sooo, it is Wednesday night / Thursday morning . . . What took place? I've been an owner for just over two weeks, however I've owned five Cadillac SRX's and Tesla should take training classes from Cadillac in customer service. I've been disappointed in them so far.

Update #5

This is hopefully the final update. It was in fact a faulty compressor. They ordered a new part and replaced and did multiple quality checks to ensure it was working properly now. A low groaning sound with a falling pitch that we had been hearing from day one when the compressor shut off was in fact abnormal, but because we'd heard so much about the noisy a/c week n the MX we just thought it was normal. And the first time we brought it into the shop, they didn't catch it either.

It's been very frustrating but it seems like it's working now. I hope it's smoother sailing from here.

Thanks all for help. I hope this helps someone else too!

Just came across this thread. Me and my wife recently drove a 2019 X at the Wexford PA store. We both found the A/C to be less than desirable. I had the hvac set to “auto” @ 72f. The only time you could really feel cool air was if you set it to 64f, then it was terribly noisy.

Is this par for course on an X? For someone looking to spend $91k on a vehicle, this is not going to cut it. I can live without ventilated seats (I guess), but mediocre A/C is another story...

Just came across this thread. Me and my wife recently drove a 2019 X at the Wexford PA store. We both found the A/C to be less than desirable. I had the hvac set to “auto” @ 72f. The only time you could really feel cool air was if you set it to 64f, then it was terribly noisy.

Is this par for course on an X? For someone looking to spend $91k on a vehicle, this is not going to cut it. I can live without ventilated seats (I guess), but mediocre A/C is another story...

Should be quickly cold. But fans can be pretty noisy on a hot day until it cools down. No engine noise to mask A/C.

I'm guessing that Wexford, PA is just a tad cooler than Houston, TX these days? We live in Houston and have a MX. I have to keep the temp set at 72 on the driver's side to keep from getting a terminal case of the goosebumps - I like the fan at about 4. Wife likes it cooler, and sets her side to 70, normally. We do squabble about the fan speed some, but after 59 years of marriage we don't carry any grudges about such minor matters.