Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

37k, Km’s brake service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
I know many owners argue that it’s a “money grab”. Both my Gen 1 & Gen 2 Volts, went through them. Especially in winter here in Toronto with the salt and all. The mechanisms tend to get crusty, dusty and jammed. Skej’d for tomorrow morning. I think it’s just part of ownership.

Any thoughts?

Reactions: KevinT3141
Routine brake servicing is absolutely something you should get done. The cash grab part was Tesla now charging like ~$400 CAD for that service now when it was previously less than half of that.

Any mechanic shop can do this as there is nothing special about Tesla brakes. It’s a fairly simple DIY as well as long as you know how to deal with the seized caliper pins.

Routine brake servicing is absolutely something you should get done. The cash grab part was Tesla now charging like ~$400 CAD for that service now when it was previously less than half of that.

Any mechanic shop can do this as there is nothing special about Tesla brakes. It’s a fairly simple DIY as well as long as you know how to deal with the seized caliper pins.
Yup! You are spot with regards to cost. I'm just lazy and of the belief that if they break anything along the way, they'll have the parts to fix it. Also while up on the lift, to give the "under" a good look too. Thanks for the 👍🏻

Another YES here. You drive in crappy winter conditions, you should definitely clean and lubricate the brakes at least once a year. It's recommended on all cars regardless of weather but much more essential in our conditions. I do it myself in the spring when I change my wheels.

Tesla don't seem interested in doing general maintenance so they charge a maximum to discourage using them for that. They stopped swapping tires between seasons here at one point... They are probably busy enough with warranty work.

i do wonder though if i select the option of using brakes when is low temp to help with slow down, will it help the brakes?
Related to this, the owner's manual includes the following note:
NOTE: Because Model 3 uses regenerative braking, the brake pads are typically used less frequently than those in traditional braking systems. To avoid the accumulation of rust and corrosion, Tesla recommends frequently pressing the brake pedal to apply the mechanical brakes and dry the brake pads and rotors.

I find it laughable that folks still says that there's no service needed on Tesla Brakes. They rust and corrode without use. The Tesla Model S, you can turn to "low" instead of "standard" regen during the winter to reduce the amount of corrosion.

I been in many battles with Tesla simps about the brakes. lol....It's these things that causes mis-information. But, glad I'm not the only one living in the colder side of North America with ample seasonal snow with corroded brakes.

Reactions: Soul Surfer