Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I'm limiting myself to $50k CAD, which right now is only $38k USD. Hopefully the situation improves somewhat by then.
2. Buying it. I buy and hold.
3. Planning on reserving first day, assuming it's the same deal with a refundable deposit. I think that will be necessary to get a car in 2018.

Ouch Canadian Currency really went down hill or is it the other way around? Last time I was in Canada currency was almost the same as USD.

Ouch Canadian Currency really went down hill or is it the other way around? Last time I was in Canada currency was almost the same as USD.

Our dollar has tanked in the last year. It's been very painful on many fronts with imports from abroad since most things are in USD. Tesla has had 2 price increases since last year. Model S has gone up about 14% since December. Then we have to pay another 13% tax on top of that in Ontario...

Base price of a 70D in the U.S. Is $75k. Up here: $93K ...

Just switch to the Canadian region and price out a Model S. Try not to have a hear attack ;)

Last edited:
When you reserve, do you have to be approved for the full amount of financing at that point in time? Especially since you might be waiting nearly 2 years until the build date...

If it is like it is/was for TMS/X, then all you have to do is pay the deposit witch will be returnable until you have finalized the design in the TM3 design studio when it is available. But it may be wise to be sure you will be able to pay the price when the time has come to do that... But on the other hand, you will not know the exact final price until the design studio is up and running :p

So much uncertainty makes me wary. No way I can front the whole cost (even the base)...just have to hope there are some financing options available at the time of launch.
Uncertainty? While it is true that you won't know precisely how much a particular Model 3 configuration will cost, there is almost no risk in putting down a deposit, save that you won't be earning interest on that money. If you later decide that you can't afford the car you can cancel the reservation and get the deposit refunded. So, I don't understand why you would be "wary".

Well, the uncertainty in part is due to me never having reserved (with a deposit no less) such a high-value item before, especially one that will require some kind of financing to accommodate (short of an unforeseen windfall). Uncharted waters for me.

Good advice and I would start now, but that is going towards the current car payment, which I have accelerated as best as I can but will still take until December or January to eradicate the principle. Then, I'll be tackling the heat pump (HVAC) and solar panel balances that remain, lol. I simply have to curtail any other expenses for the next 3 years indubitably. It's not cheap being green.

Anticipate the Model 3 down payment being in the 2 - 2.5K range and set aside enough to make that payment when the site comes on line next year. From there you should be able to push back delivery if you don't want to (or you can't) take delivery when they first start coming off the line. Worst case you get your money back. Nothing you should be overly concerned with.

Anticipate the Model 3 down payment being in the 2 - 2.5K range and set aside enough to make that payment when the site comes on line next year. From there you should be able to push back delivery if you don't want to (or you can't) take delivery when they first start coming off the line. Worst case you get your money back. Nothing you should be overly concerned with.

I think they need to have a higher down payment to have a more accurate estimate of how many cars are in demand. $2000 seems like too little. Almost anyone searching for a $35-50k car can sink 2 grand in the hopes of getting a low reservation #, but I would bet your cancellations would be a lot higher when their wallet contents don't meet what their eyes see when the design studio opens. You add in AWD, bigger battery pack, tech package, you're up to $45k or whatever and now you've priced out thousands of people.

1. I'll be looking for $50k-55k for the performance model. Any more than that and I'll be extremely tempted to get a 2-3 year old P85

2. TBD. I've always purchased cars because I drive typically drive too many miles. However, seeing the improvements made over the first few years of the model S make me want to lease. (Just went back and did some research.) Sig 70 was delivered in Sept 2012. A 3 year lease would be concluding next month, and turning that for something new would give you dual motors, "newer" battery chemistry, performance, and insane and ludicrous modes. (Not 100% sure about alcantera, etc, but I'm sure other options have been included.)

3. Nope, I want a car about VIN 10k. This gives the factory time to work out the kinks, but should still be delivered within a few (6) months of the very first one (considering ramp up).

Just my opinions

1. I hoping for a 500hp AWD Model 3 w/300mi of range. My guess is it will be 50-60k for that. I've been drooling over the Audi S4 for years (since the RS4 in 2007) but Tesla has changed the game, and this config would be the "S4 but Tesla".

2. Leasing - I'm normally a buy and hold onto it for a decade type of person, but in this case with the rate of advancement on the EV front, after a few years there will likely be numerous improvements that I'd be after. The way the EV market is developing, it reminds me of the early computer, or more recently the smartphone market. It has very rapid development where significant features are being added every 12-18m, and it will level out in time. ICE cars have leveled out for a long long time, making the buy and drive into ground a good solid plan, but with EVs in the stage of their development, I can see myself realistically wanting an upgraded one every few years, until it levels off where I'd go back to buy and drive into the ground. The ultimate for me would be AWD w/4 motors which would be the best AWD possible, no fancy gears it would all be able to be done in software. That and 400mi of range and over 500hp. Likely a ways off, which is why I'd go for a lease for now

3. Plan on reserving as soon as possible. Will be refreshing the site like crazy when the reveal happens (or whenever reservations will open) to get on the list

1. Base model plus Supercharging access (if it is an extra-cost option). If the cost is reasonable and it isn't bundled with other costly features, I would like AWD. Same with cold weather package and a longer range option, again if the cost is reasonable, which I assume will NOT be the case. I have zero interest in other stuff, ranging from tech gadgets, fancy seats/interior, fancy wheels, performance, and the like. Ideally I'd like to keep the cost below $40k. I just want a basic model plus Supercharger for long distance trips at a cost I can (barely) afford.

2. Leaning toward leasing, if the cost is reasonable. The technology is changing rapidly and Tesla's QC, service cost, and reliability issues are troubling. If the car turns out to be solid and reliable I could buy it at the end of the lease. Downside of leasing is that I would lose most of the generous Colorado tax credit, which begins to phase out in 2019.

3. Plan to reserve right away but hope that I am at least six months down in the queue so that early production issues get worked out. I will be 300 miles, and a whole lot of mountains, from the nearest Service Center, so frequent trips to fix issues would be a big nuisance. I sure hope Tesla can fix the DU problems before the Model 3 is released. (I thought electric motors were supposed to be much more reliable than an ICE and that they ought to last a half million miles at least. Something is not right with Tesla's design.)

1. I'll be looking for $50k-55k for the performance model. Any more than that and I'll be extremely tempted to get a 2-3 year old P85

2. TBD. I've always purchased cars because I drive typically drive too many miles. However, seeing the improvements made over the first few years of the model S make me want to lease. (Just went back and did some research.) Sig 70 was delivered in Sept 2012. A 3 year lease would be concluding next month, and turning that for something new would give you dual motors, "newer" battery chemistry, performance, and insane and ludicrous modes. (Not 100% sure about alcantera, etc, but I'm sure other options have been included.)

3. Nope, I want a car about VIN 10k. This gives the factory time to work out the kinks, but should still be delivered within a few (6) months of the very first one (considering ramp up).

Just my opinions

You are dreaming if you think it will be 6 months. :)

- - - Updated - - -

1. I hoping for a 500hp AWD Model 3 w/300mi of range. My guess is it will be 50-60k for that. I've been drooling over the Audi S4 for years (since the RS4 in 2007) but Tesla has changed the game, and this config would be the "S4 but Tesla".

2. Leasing - I'm normally a buy and hold onto it for a decade type of person, but in this case with the rate of advancement on the EV front, after a few years there will likely be numerous improvements that I'd be after. The way the EV market is developing, it reminds me of the early computer, or more recently the smartphone market. It has very rapid development where significant features are being added every 12-18m, and it will level out in time. ICE cars have leveled out for a long long time, making the buy and drive into ground a good solid plan, but with EVs in the stage of their development, I can see myself realistically wanting an upgraded one every few years, until it levels off where I'd go back to buy and drive into the ground. The ultimate for me would be AWD w/4 motors which would be the best AWD possible, no fancy gears it would all be able to be done in software. That and 400mi of range and over 500hp. Likely a ways off, which is why I'd go for a lease for now

3. Plan on reserving as soon as possible. Will be refreshing the site like crazy when the reveal happens (or whenever reservations will open) to get on the list

I doubt they will have a 500 horsepower Model 3.

35K-50K price point? Leasing or Buying? And 1st day announcement # orders dis...

I doubt they will have a 500 horsepower Model 3.
I am certain there will be a Performance version of the 3 and I think it quite likely that it will have around that much power (Dual Motors of course) , and that the base version will be a bit less than half that.