Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3000km in a Model 3 - the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally made the trip back.

STATS: 2300km, 5-10*C dry & light rain, 2 days, ~200kg vehicle load, 455kWh, 197Wh/km (316Wh/mi), 5 SC charges per day, 140.50 EUR spent, 30.9cent/kWh, 6.1cent/km

GOOD:
  • drivetrain error never came back; confidence restored
  • handling feel more stable - no getting whipped around at high speed, and no sensation of skating on ice (maybe my local roads were just that greasy?).
  • joe mode was really nice for reducing autopilot dings (thanks @polyphonic54 !)
ANNOYANCES:
  • intermittent errors of 'camera blocked or obscured' for left fender and left pillar cameras. even when cameras were clean and conditions were absolutely clear and dry
  • no way to cancel/pause/reduce volume of sms announcements

BAD (AUTOPILOT again):

• a couple of phantom braking events that were really harsh and sudden
  • a couple of phantom braking events that were more tolerable

• on a stretch of unrestricted autobahn, the car suddenly determined the speeds were variously 50/60/70kmh, instead of the 130kmh that is default when mapping engines has unlimited speeds.
    • this means the car suddenly slowed to those speeds, often ping-ponging between 50-70
    • cancelling autopilot automatically resumes suggested speed to 130kmh (as it should be)
    • turning AP back on locks it at 130, and a short moment later jumps down to 50/60/70 again
    • on some parts, there was overhead signs with temporary 80 limit, but in other parts where this behavior occured, theres absolutely no visual restrictions of speed.

So much less drama on the drive back. Everything went quite smoothly except the damn Autopilot had me cursing at times. Honestly, can they not just program in an option for traditional dumb cruise control? It would've worked much much much better for some stretches of roads.

Final takeaway is AP works well at medium speeds and light traffic --- more time for driver to react to surprises, less-sudden phantom braking, less nervous behavior about how it would act against trucks, bridges, etc. Wouldn't use it with higher speeds and normal->high traffic.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Finally made the trip back.

STATS: 2300km, 5-10*C dry & light rain, 2 days, ~200kg vehicle load, 455kWh, 197Wh/km (316Wh/mi), 5 SC charges per day, 140.50 EUR spent, 30.9cent/kWh, 6.1cent/km

GOOD:
  • drivetrain error never came back; confidence restored
  • handling feel more stable - no getting whipped around at high speed, and no sensation of skating on ice (maybe my local roads were just that greasy?).
  • joe mode was really nice for reducing autopilot dings (thanks @polyphonic54 !)
ANNOYANCES:
  • intermittent errors of 'camera blocked or obscured' for left fender and left pillar cameras. even when cameras were clean and conditions were absolutely clear and dry
  • no way to cancel/pause/reduce volume of sms announcements

BAD (AUTOPILOT again):

• a couple of phantom braking events that were really harsh and sudden
  • a couple of phantom braking events that were more tolerable

• on a stretch of unrestricted autobahn, the car suddenly determined the speeds were variously 50/60/70kmh, instead of the 130kmh that is default when mapping engines has unlimited speeds.
    • this means the car suddenly slowed to those speeds, often ping-ponging between 50-70
    • cancelling autopilot automatically resumes suggested speed to 130kmh (as it should be)
    • turning AP back on locks it at 130, and a short moment later jumps down to 50/60/70 again
    • on some parts, there was overhead signs with temporary 80 limit, but in other parts where this behavior occured, theres absolutely no visual restrictions of speed.

So much less drama on the drive back. Everything went quite smoothly except the damn Autopilot had me cursing at times. Honestly, can they not just program in an option for traditional dumb cruise control? It would've worked much much much better for some stretches of roads.

Final takeaway is AP works well at medium speeds and light traffic --- more time for driver to react to surprises, less-sudden phantom braking, less nervous behavior about how it would act against trucks, bridges, etc. Wouldn't use it with higher speeds and normal->high traffic.
I've been asking for "dumb cruise control" since the day I took delivery, 21 months ago...I'd even sign whatever waiver Tesla would want me to sign...

Nice write up!
Never heard of that camera error. I would contact Tesla if it continues frequently.

I have had 2 phantom brake incidents. Neither were that bad, but I always keep my foot on the accelerator pedal if other cars are near by, or especially behind me. If it phantom brakes, you can easily override it that way.

Would be nice to know who the mapping company is that provides the speed limit info. Obviously it's their data that needs updating. You weren't crossing over or under another road when the speed limit braking occurred? I've heard stories of people thinking that the GPS signal picks up the crossing road's lower speed limit causing braking.

Would be nice to know who the mapping company is that provides the speed limit info. Obviously it's their data that needs updating. You weren't crossing over or under another road when the speed limit braking occurred? I've heard stories of people thinking that the GPS signal picks up the crossing road's lower speed limit causing braking.

That entire stretch of highway where issues occurred was unrestricted/delimited.

The navigation engine had it mapped correctly as such - shows circle with 3 gray stripes.

In some parts where I had the errors, the overhead signage were like these with temporary 80 limit-- not bridges or overpasses and supposedly model 3 does not do optical speed sign recognition -- but Tesla determined speeds were 50-70 by random.

But in other parts where this issue occurred, there were no overhead signage and it was a long clear stretch of unrestricted/delimited roads.

IMG_6032.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Nice write up!
Never heard of that camera error. I would contact Tesla if it continues frequently.

I have had 2 phantom brake incidents. Neither were that bad, but I always keep my foot on the accelerator pedal if other cars are near by, or especially behind me. If it phantom brakes, you can easily override it that way.

On the trip down, we were driving through persistent rain and I chalked the camera errors to that. On the way back, there was rarely any rain or dust at all, AND it seemed to be with the left-side cameras, so looks like a camera-specific issue than a conditional issue.

I'm starting to do the same -- riding the gas when approaching convoys of trucks, or bridges, exits, and overpasses. But with dense traffic of varying speeds, I'm paranoid of needing to brake in case the car might over-accelerate. Having to closely monitor the system brings a level of anxiety where I'd rather just drive manually, and reserve AP to do work only on light traffic (or at very slow speeds)