Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2nd Hand Model 3 - from third party dealer - 3+ weeks to add for charging/app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my 3P tomorrow and had a quick question on how I go about charging (at superchargers) as it looks like I have to have the V5 in hand - which will take a couple of weeks - and the app says 3-5 days to add the vehicle to my phone app when I go to register it.
As the previous owner is not going to be involved here as it's a third party non-Tesla dealer, I can't request them to transfer it to my account.

Does this basically mean I cannot charge the car until it is added with all the paperwork done? I assume that other chargers will just work as will home charging or I am going to be a bit stuck :D

Picking up my 3P tomorrow and had a quick question on how I go about charging (at superchargers) as it looks like I have to have the V5 in hand - which will take a couple of weeks - and the app says 3-5 days to add the vehicle to my phone app when I go to register it.
As the previous owner is not going to be involved here as it's a third party non-Tesla dealer, I can't request them to transfer it to my account.

Does this basically mean I cannot charge the car until it is added with all the paperwork done? I assume that other chargers will just work as will home charging or I am going to be a bit stuck :D
You’ll also find the V5 only takes a few days. It’s a quick process nowadays.

For info and anyone else now entering the 2nd hand market as the cars start to come out of lease for first owners.
The "New Keepers Supplement" from the V5 was all that was required and the car was registered to my Tesla account instantly after uploading a picture of that and my driving license.
Thanks for taking the time to come back and update us.

Wrong. I have tried with the New keepers supplement , invoice and driving licence - had |tesla email stating resubmit documents .
I phoned tesla ( 0117 441 1367 ) , guy on phone said I will need the full V5 .
V5 came this morning so I went through the process again , first page of V5 , invoice from dealer and licence phote - 2 hours later have received mail from tesla stating I need to resubmit docs again .
Which documents do they want?
Had the car nearly 2 weeks and still no access to superchargers.

• Funny
Reactions: M00cow
Hi, I'm a new Model 3 owner - purchased second hand from Arnold Clark.

I was able to get the app activated the next day - used my driving licence and a photo of my purchase receipt. I didn't have the V5 at this point.
I probably could have done it same day, but didn't try.

The purchase receipt was an A4 page with my details along with the car details so very clear that I was the owner, the app transfer happened very fast so not sure if a person actually looked at it.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado