Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

250wh per pile to get performance rated range of 315 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dang, 218 today, ready to see what I get with the hankooks

Are we sure psi doesn’t make a bigger difference than 1%?

I’m beating the long range model’s range with 20 inch summer tires
It can get a whole lot better than that.

I did controlled testing at pressures from 38 psi through 50 psi in 4 psi increments. It certainly did make a difference from 38 to 50 but from 42 to 46 was indeed less than 1%.

Once you get to really high pressures the car becomes twitchy at speed. It just isn’t worth it at all.

IMG_2309.jpeg
IMG_2308.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC

I did controlled testing at pressures from 38 psi through 50 psi in 4 psi increments. It certainly did make a difference from 38 to 50 but from 42 to 46 was indeed less than 1%.

Once you get to really high pressures the car becomes twitchy at speed. It just isn’t worth it at all.

View attachment 1019332View attachment 1019333
Interesting. My gut reaction is that your test was completely valid and the numbers you had were good, too. But I suspect that trying different brands of tires might still show the same variation with W-hr/mile, but different values at different pressures.

My understanding is that the tires used on the "P" versions of Teslas are meant to be summer, performance tires and are sticky, whereas the All Season tires tend to be less sticky, but more efficient. And, beyond that, there are tires designed to be more efficient.

Tire designers must lead interesting lives figuring out methods to get efficiency, performance, wear, and all that.

View attachment 1019332View attachment 1019333
Yea I was at 37 psi so it may have helped a lot going to 44

I’ll probably settle at 43 since there’s not much difference over 42

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I calculated that I think I need to achieve 250 wh a mile to get a range of 315 miles

I tried to do this on recent 60 mile trip, no matter what I did I couldn’t get the wh per mile under 270, that’s the lowest I could get even when going 50-55 mph and no AC

What can I do to get it to 250wh so I can get the rated range?
I just did 99 miles at exactly 250wh/mi.
2021 M3P, 18” EV01 wheels with aero covers in place, primacy tires at 38 psi,
MPP comfort coilovers at STOCK height. Cruise control at 79mph, 51-64 deg F ambient temps during the drive. I routinely get more efficient numbers when the tires are pumped up to 42…

• Helpful
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Are we sure psi doesn’t make a bigger difference than 1%?
Yep.

My tires are at 37 PSI cold, which cost 0.8% (1.7-2.8 miles) vs. Tesla’s recommended 42-45 PSI on my road trip today. (according to the car itself)

Running the recommended PSI in an attempt to recover ~2 miles of range doesn’t even come close to justifying the tradeoff in noise and ride quality, IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_4480.jpeg
    IMG_4480.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Sellout
I used a ton of energy on the way home today, a combination of cold weather, wind and rain did a lot more damage than I thought it would, 310 wh/mile under all circumstances from beginning to end all the way home

These type of conditions would really hurt for an out of state trip if I got these conditions while traveling, how would you deal with this when traveling? Just go 40 mph?

I used a ton of energy on the way home today, a combination of cold weather, wind and rain did a lot more damage than I thought it would, 310 wh/mile under all circumstances from beginning to end all the way home

These type of conditions would really hurt for an out of state trip if I got these conditions while traveling, how would you deal with this when traveling? Just go 40 mph?
When the NAV is active, there's that little box down at the bottom of the screen that has what % charge will be left in the car when one gets to one's destination, as well as the distance to the destination. As it happens, that "% charge" is where Tesla Lets Loose with the best range estimating software known to man. Going over a mountain? It's in there. Predicted windstorm on the way? It's in there. You're pushing 75 mph regular? It looks at what you're doing at the speed you're going, and it's in there. Outside temperature, battery degradation? It's ALL in there.

So, just put your destination in and let 'er rip.

Now, it's possible that if there's some big gap that the estimator can't get over on a long trip, you might be sidetracked 50 miles out of your way to prevent going empty. But what with all the Superchargers scattered across the landscape these days, it's unlikely.

I’ve seen 450+ WH/mile going 70 mph in a snowstorm with headwinds. Just means shorter stints between charging and longer charging stops.

Not catastrophic unless you’re late for dinner… 😉
Much shorter that’s only like 180 miles with a new battery with no degradation

Degraded battery would be like 135 miles at 450wh

When the NAV is active, there's that little box down at the bottom of the screen that has what % charge will be left in the car when one gets to one's destination, as well as the distance to the destination. As it happens, that "% charge" is where Tesla Lets Loose with the best range estimating software known to man. Going over a mountain? It's in there. Predicted windstorm on the way? It's in there. You're pushing 75 mph regular? It looks at what you're doing at the speed you're going, and it's in there. Outside temperature, battery degradation? It's ALL in there.

So, just put your destination in and let 'er rip.

Now, it's possible that if there's some big gap that the estimator can't get over on a long trip, you might be sidetracked 50 miles out of your way to prevent going empty. But what with all the Superchargers scattered across the landscape these days, it's unlikely.
This is great. I had no idea that the nav software took the topography under consideration to show the percentage remaining upon arrival.

Reactions: ODWms
I had something interesting on this topic yesterday. Was driving up through Central California and was on the downhill side of the Grapevine (a 6% grade for 5 miles). According to my car, even though I was at 15% SOC (it dropped right after I took this picture), my car was still saying I would arrive in Lebec (SuC at the bottom of the hill) with a 20% charge. I was dubious, but I ended up arriving with 18% (though the car didn't drop to an 18% arrival until when I pulled off the freeway).

Miles.jpg