Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Hours of Driving Electric - Apparently, we weren't ready!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grats on getting your car (finally)!

Couple notes: you'll get used to the rear end wanting to play in a few days and just keep your foot from punching it so much. I think the perf was tuned to be just a little bit 'fun' in this case. You get used to it.

Re: garage -- I found it useful to pop the rear camera on while parking so I can see the garage floor and know I'm in far enough. My wife has it down pat now so she doesn't use the camera. Again, you get used to it but it takes a little time.

Re: garage -- I found it useful to pop the rear camera on while parking so I can see the garage floor and know I'm in far enough. My wife has it down pat now so she doesn't use the camera. Again, you get used to it but it takes a little time.

So, just put some tape down to mark off where the camera view is to make a perfect park. or just use the old tennis ball on a string trick. when the windshield touches the ball. STOP.

Thanks for the cautionary tale AO, we all feel your pain. I was just wondering this afternoon if I should hang a tennis ball from the ceiling of my garage, to ensure I have pulled in far enough (and not too far, either). You just answered that question for me!

Like Jason also said, we use the camera now to see the floor of the garage, it works well. I should clarify though that it was MY stupidity that caused this. I popped the trunk to get the charge cable out (took it with me to the office to try charging there). At the same time, I thought: Hey, they mounted the outlet upside down (causing weird cable angles), let me get some light in here and a screw driver and I'll fix that. Opened the garage door WITH the trunk lid open.

CRUNCH.

As for fixing it, my wife said we have clear nail polish and she has some clear coat spray sealant stuff she used to make the little one his own xmas ornaments. Any ideas on if either option would be a good one to go with?

Grats on getting your car (finally)!

Couple notes: you'll get used to the rear end wanting to play in a few days and just keep your foot from punching it so much. I think the perf was tuned to be just a little bit 'fun' in this case. You get used to it.

Yup, rear camera is great for this task -- only downside is that it does still cover the homelink buttons on my SW version.

Glad you brought up the back end breaking loose. We took the car for a shorter drive than intended tonight (more on that in a second), but while out, my wife commented that the car felt like her old mitsubishi eclipse -- that is, not very "Grounded" -- sort of floaty. I noticed this too, but I guess it was more noticeable in the back seat (she was back with the baby). I really didn't feel comfortable taking the car above 70ish because it didn't feel very grounded. I didn't remember feeling a lack of confidence during the test drives we did, so I wondered if it was just my car. I don't know if, again, it's the tires or something else, but I remembered a thread about checking tire pressures after delivery, so I did. Went to the gas station and one tire was 43 and the others were 41 (should be 42 all around) -- so that can't be the issue.

Going to dig up that thread first, and then let the tires and such break in and see where we are. Can any other owners chime in on how the car feels at speed?

Anywho.. glad we did the shorter drive. We used up 108 miles of stated range to go 67 actual miles. I'll need to get a grip on all of this before attempting long distance :)

P.S. I did notice what other drivers said about the auto wipers not being very good for the task at hand. I ended up putting them on max. I also can't seem to find a happy medium to keep the windows from fogging up (especially the sides).

- - - Updated - - -

And if all else fails you can always get impact resistant sheetrock. Just put a bit of padding at bumper height and you're all set.

heh, we're actually going to put one of those long pool noodles (sliced through the middle) against the wall so I don't bang up the doors getting my large behind out.

Last edited:
My car is rock solid even at 85mph but I had over 1,000 miles on it by the time I did that. The performance version has so much torque that the rear tires will slip a little if you try and gun it in a sharp corner but it recovers quickly. Driving a straight line at 70mph shouldn't be an issue. Maybe the Ranger will do a ride-along with you when they come out. They did that once in the Roadster.

AnOutsider - Congratulations! Hey, I think I remember you from October 1, 2011 Pre-Factory event meetup. I think there were only about 40 or so reservation holders there and we all had a great time. We're looking forward to receiving our car in about 3 weeks. Hope to run into you again at another Tesla event!

You mean THIS day? :-D

attachment.php?attachmentid=2804&d=1317519267.jpg

Glad you brought up the back end breaking loose. We took the car for a shorter drive than intended tonight (more on that in a second), but while out, my wife commented that the car felt like her old mitsubishi eclipse -- that is, not very "Grounded" -- sort of floaty. I noticed this too, but I guess it was more noticeable in the back seat (she was back with the baby). I really didn't feel comfortable taking the car above 70ish because it didn't feel very grounded. I didn't remember feeling a lack of confidence during the test drives we did, so I wondered if it was just my car. I don't know if, again, it's the tires or something else, but I remembered a thread about checking tire pressures after delivery, so I did. Went to the gas station and one tire was 43 and the others were 41 (should be 42 all around) -- so that can't be the issue.

New tires may still have some release agent on them from the manufacturing process. after changing tires on my Mustang I had a close encounter with the retaining wall of an on ramp while accellerating. something I had done many times before, but this time my rear end broke loose and you can guess the rest. (it wasn't me, it was the tires. REALLY! Just in case it was me I am NOT getting the perfomance version)

New tires may still have some release agent on them from the manufacturing process. after changing tires on my Mustang I had a close encounter with the retaining wall of an on ramp while accellerating. something I had done many times before, but this time my rear end broke loose and you can guess the rest. (it wasn't me, it was the tires. REALLY! Just in case it was me I am NOT getting the perfomance version)

yeah, i've been betting this is your issue too, ao. that behavior you're describing doesn't sound like the model s i drove. obviously it takes some getting used to, the accelerator and whatnot, how to take curves.. but i'll bet in a week you'll have forgotten all about the fishy tail your car used to have..

My garage door christened the S:
  • "Tesla Service Center. How can I help you?"
  • "On my dash, there's this icon and text that reads Spoiler Alert. What does that mean? I swear I haven't been talking about movies at all today."
  • "Did your garage door get fresh with your Model S's spoiler?"
  • "Why yes it did. Well, I'll be. Thanks, ma'am."
  • "No problem. It happens to a lot of ... garages."

Kidding aside, I'm glad you've finally got yours home. While you may be a bit breathless and your steed battleworn, the real journey has just begun.

Last edited:
As for fixing it, my wife said we have clear nail polish and she has some clear coat spray sealant stuff she used to make the little one his own xmas ornaments. Any ideas on if either option would be a good one to go with?
I would use nail polish as the chance of overspray onto the paint from the spray can is too great. You just want to fill in the gap and cover the fibers (CF splinters are NASTY).

Tires will also get stickier in the summer...

So, after driving pretty slow on the highway and taking some flatter back roads (my wife commented she had never seen me so happy to see the speed limit drop to 25 before), we made it home with 2 miles of range left.

View attachment 12454

It was a bit nerve wracking, but at least we made it ... :redface:

Yikes - that may be an understatement! What a way to start your Model S/EV experience - you're not supposed to have range anxiety with an 85 kWh battery :wink:.

Congrats on getting your car! It is beautiful and the white with grey wheels looks fantastic.

Great story AO, and are you sure the spoiler didn't come that way?:wink:

Ya know... now that you mention it... ;)

yeah, i've been betting this is your issue too, ao. that behavior you're describing doesn't sound like the model s i drove. obviously it takes some getting used to, the accelerator and whatnot, how to take curves.. but i'll bet in a week you'll have forgotten all about the fishy tail your car used to have..

Yeah, I'm thinking it's probably the tires too. The car had 31 miles when I got it, so it definitely needs a bit more breaking in. Dry today, so I'll hit some back roads.

While you may be a bit breathless and your steed battleworn, the real journey has just begun.

Ha! I'm actually OK, it was just an eye opener. Can't wait for the updates and such.

I would use nail polish as the chance of overspray onto the paint from the spray can is too great. You just want to fill in the gap and cover the fibers (CF splinters are NASTY).

Indeed, it's like glass. I'll use some of her polish today and see what it looks like.

Yeah, that's the day! I'm the bald guy in front, who didn't know you were supposed to make a Tesla "T". I guess I still had jet lag after my 6 hour flight. Three more weeks of waiting for me. Wish me luck, it would be nice to get the tax credit in 2012.

Haha, I remember chatting it up -- just didn't know your TMC username
Wave_smiley.gif