Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

215 miles one way - Reassure me pls....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume Eberhard tailgated a refrigerator truck and plugged his Roadster into the A/C unit outlet while doing that.
Kuehl-LKW_web09.jpg

488b292d.jpg

87753ff4.jpg

So, you can make 450 Km if you are disciplined, and have a good tyre pressure. Both drives have been in the alps.
My style is that you drive consistently but not too fast. And do NOT use cruise control unless you are going for many miles just straight ahead without ups and downs and without traffic. The driver can drive very much more sensitively then the cruise control is.

ok not just 420km , only almost 420 km

View attachment 3918

Well, I salute you all. Anyone who can get sub 140Wh/km is for me an e-driving god! ... I risked the integrity of my bodywork today in my home-work-home trip through Madrid, not going above 100km/h and really "stepping on eggs" (direct translation from the Spanish phrase that describes my driving today ;). All I got was 159 :(

I go through the city and up and down a lot of hills but that's no excuse for such reckless squandering of the Watts.

I'll try harder tomorrow...

Reckless squandering of Watts is one of the joys of driving the Roadster (so long as you're not on a long distance trip).

Yeah. The thing is I got the Watt squandering down... I'm good at that ;)
But I want to do a trip soon that is about 370km through rural Spain and I do not want to run out of juice there.
Average this morning coming down to the office was 144. I'll take the highway back and really try to keep the speed low. The problem is that Eberhard's 420km run looks to have an average speed of about 70km/h. You'll read about me in the papers if I do that in Madrid!

Yeah. The thing is I got the Watt squandering down... I'm good at that ;)
But I want to do a trip soon that is about 370km through rural Spain and I do not want to run out of juice there.
Average this morning coming down to the office was 144. I'll take the highway back and really try to keep the speed low. The problem is that Eberhard's 420km run looks to have an average speed of about 70km/h. You'll read about me in the papers if I do that in Madrid!
The speed was between 80km/h and 90km/h depending on traffic and went down to 60km/h when the trucks slowed down uphill. If even did 108kWh per km when driving back from Sibiu to Arad (romania) but with tailwind and only 70km/h average speed.

Reckless squandering of Watts is one of the joys of driving the Roadster (so long as you're not on a long distance trip).
I was recently asked by Tom Gage (ex-president of AC Propulsion, some of whose technology went into the Roadster) what my energy consumption was on a hot lap at Laguna Seca raceway, a 2.238-mile road course. So, I added to my log parser an integration of the speed and power so I could calculate Wh/mi. The answer: 1225 Wh/mi for the time-trial lap.

Reactions: AtAge19
EVs really show up the differences in max and min energy consumption between different driving conditions and styles (7:1 between hot lapping Laguna Seca and driving 70 km/h in Romania). I think ICE vehicles mask the difference.

EVs really show up the differences in max and min energy consumption between different driving conditions and styles (7:1 between hot lapping Laguna Seca and driving 70 km/h in Romania). I think ICE vehicles mask the difference.

The last time I took my Roadster to the track, I think I averaged around 1300 Wh/mile each session.
A friend in a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO got 4 mpg on the track that same day. The car is rated 18mpg combined and 22mpg highway.
I don't think ICE vehicles mask anything, most people just don't pay attention.
I plugged in to the Nema 14-50 outlet ( that I donated and they installed ) and charged whenever I wasn't on the track.
The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO had to fill up with gas 3 times that day. Once in the morning on the way, he left the track midday to fill up, and then filled up again before going home.

He was far more inconvenienced by having to fill his car up with gas than I was plugging in my EV.

In my one experience with my Roadster at the Shannonville track, I was able to keep it going all day by plugging into a NEMA 14-50 between sessions. At the end of the day it was on fumes, so I had to wait several hours before I could drive home.

I've done a few lapping days at Calabogie, which is much closer to home, but the dinosaur owners there wouldn't lift a finger to help me charge. I offered to pay for everything, including installation, but they still refused. I can drive the Roadster there and back with some spare, but there's no way I could get home again if I were to take it on the track. So I use my G37, which consumes over 1.5 tanks of premium gas in a day. It's a hassle to keep it fueled, as you have to drive into town to get more gas. I've taken to bringing 50 extra liters in the trunk. Electricity would be so much better!