Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I guess my TA does know something? Since Crystal Ray does not go to Belgium or The Netherlands
Perhaps he's right.
It will be a first in many respects - 1st car shipped from China in a container (where will your car be reassembled now that the Tilburg facility is closed?) and 1st car to be shipped from China from a port other than Shanghai, Tesla must be trying to catch me out using a port over 120 miles from the GF. Where are the cars loaded into the container and how?
Whereas, plenty of Teslas have been unloaded in Barcelona that were destined for other countries including Netherlands.
We also know for sure that there are 3458 MY and 762 M3 are to be unloaded from CRYSTAL RAY in Barcelona from Monday.
Just think about it.....

Perhaps he's right.
It will be a first in many respects - 1st car shipped from China in a container (where will your car be reassembled now that the Tilburg facility is closed?) and 1st car to be shipped from China from a port other than Shanghai, Tesla must be trying to catch me out using a port over 120 miles from the GF. Where are the cars loaded into the container and how?
Whereas, plenty of Teslas have been unloaded in Barcelona that were destined for other countries including Netherlands.
We also know for sure that there are 3458 MY and 762 M3 are to be unloaded from CRYSTAL RAY in Barcelona from Monday.
Just think about it.....
I hope you are right!!

It's a fair point. For several weeks I thought the ship was probably headed to UK as there were none of the usual indications from EU except perhaps from Italy. Indeed, if it wasn't for your detective work in confirming she actually had Teslas onboard I may have doubted it myself.
I wonder whether it is in any way due to an imminent announcement of the revised Model 3 launch?
Indeed, I also think that something has to do with the new M3.

The following situation has crossed my mind... when the new M3 arrives, to the people who are still waiting for a car, Tesla could give them a choice between the slightly more expensive new model or a current M3 at a lower price. demolition and thus remove the stock, but I have no idea what they plan to do with the cars that Crystal Ray brings. 😅

Comparing the satellite images of the south port on July 4 with those of today and after the visit of the Grande Mirafiori, it can be seen that the cars that the ship has loaded are missing. The first image is from July 4th and the second from today. In the latter it is seen that there are no longer cars in the red zones. The green zone has been filled and the orange remains the same. Conclusion... the Grande Mirafiori transports Teslas, where? only Tesla knows.
I have problems with some of the free imagery available on the internet especially with the timestamping - on many occasions they just don't fit known ship movements.
A couple of years ago I paid a subscription to monitor Pier 80 - it wasn't reliable (cloudcover at exactly the wrong time and sometimes the angle and shadows prevented any reasonable analysis). It just didn't provide good value.
These images look good and it may be worth paying for HD versions especially if we get a sniff of the new M3.
In the meantime, please contribute to WuWa - his YouTube videos are excellent - especially now he recognises the importance of identifying LHD and RHD models and the filming the loading of the various ships.

Reactions: XHabjab
There is talk today about how two container ships were diverted from Vancouver to Seattle due to the port workers' strike...

Meanwhile, the union and employer's association seem to be more interested in attacking one another instead of negotiating... 🙄

As for the Tesla ships, VIKING SEA continues to anchor and wait south of Vancouver Island.

I found something interesting, though - Wallenius Wilhelmsen is the company that operates the auto terminals at the Port of Vancouver (Richmond + Annacis), as well as at least one auto terminal that I found in the Port of Tacoma. They have ship schedules published on their website, and when I searched for incoming shipments to North America from Asia, I found that they listed the MORNING MARGARETA as sailing from Masan, to Shanghai, and then onward to... TACOMA, WASHINGTON, with an ETA of July 20!

Id3fV5H.png

I don't know if the plan all along was for her to sail to Vancouver for July 15/16 and then south to Tacoma, and vessel tracking sites still list New Westminster, BC as her destination. But it makes me wonder if that ship (which is likely carrying my car!) might be diverted. @Mr Miserable do you have any info that would support this?

GRAND SAPPHIRE is also en route to Shanghai, as mentioned before, with an ETA of July 9 - so we'll see which port she sets sail for after loading up with vehicles.

Makes you wonder, though...if you assume VIKING SEA is carrying 250 vehicles, and MORNING MARGARETA and GRAND SAPPHIRE can carry at least 4000 vehicles each, that's roughly half a billion dollars (using CAD pricing) in vehicles that Tesla cannot sell to waiting customers in Canada because they would be stuck mere miles from the Canadian coast.

Given that some vessels have already begun to divert, how long can this strike go on before Tesla has to start looking at alternative arrangements? 👀

EDIT: I found the GRAND SAPPHIRE on their schedule too - she's listed as being bound for Tacoma as well, ETA July 23.

WNZi04F.png

Damn it... that article was updated with a statement from the U.S. West Coast chapter of the ILWU that said their members will not unload Canadian-bound cargo diverted to American ports, out of solidarity with their fellow union workers in Canada.

That statement addresses container cargo specifically, but you have to imagine it applies to any type of cargo :(

Reactions: chng
Letsss goo Viking Sea finally moving.
Not a false alarm this time!

Question is, why is she moving, and where is she going...? 🤔

1688771439061.png

EDIT: Looking at the maps, unless she suddenly turns south towards Seattle (there is a turn coming up that could allow that...), the shipping lane she's in leads straight into the Port of Vancouver. In fact, if she was going to divert to Seattle, she would have taken the southbound lane from the anchor point, like OOCL SAN FRANCISCO.

This doesn't mean that she'll get to unload, though. Could be that they finally cleared Customs and will just drop anchor again outside the port. Time will tell.

Last edited:

View attachment 954147

EDIT: Looking at the maps, unless she suddenly turns south towards Seattle (there is a turn coming up that could allow that...), the shipping lane she's in leads straight into the Port of Vancouver.

This doesn't mean that she'll get to unload, though. Could be that they finally cleared Customs and will just drop anchor again outside the port. Time will tell.
I'll be drinking and watching her course tonight. What a wild Friday 🤣. I can't believe how much I've learned about ships thanks to Tesla lol

View attachment 954147

EDIT: Looking at the maps, unless she suddenly turns south towards Seattle (there is a turn coming up that could allow that...), the shipping lane she's in leads straight into the Port of Vancouver.

Yeah, they probably anchor again once they get close but just happy to see it move again lol.

I'll be drinking and watching her course tonight. What a wild Friday 🤣. I can't believe how much I've learned about ships thanks to Tesla lol
Keep us posted, lol, I can't watch her all night! 🤣
I just edited my post, but I feel like if they were going to head to Seattle, they would have done so already.

They'll probably just get close to Vancouver and then drop anchor, but we'll see.

However, part of me is keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a Customs delay because of the backlog of ships.

Like I posted above, WWS Vehicle Services is the company that runs the auto terminals - and they're actually NOT a listed member of the BCMEA! From what I could find, that company is actually part of the BCMTOA, which is an association I haven't seen anything about in the news. But I don't know if the organizations are affiliated in some other way. I'm hoping that by some miracle, this company that runs the auto terminals isn't directly affected by the strike, lol.

Yes, I've spent way too much time learning about the Port of Vancouver these days, LOL...

Meanwhile over in Shanghai, MALAYSIA GRACE has departed to Japan and GRAND SAPPHIRE is heading in to Shanghai South to take her place.
You will recall that GRAND SAPPHIRE is heading initially to Tacoma and then up to Vancouver with another batch of MY for those excitable Canucks.
VIKING SEA has moved from her exposed anchorage into a sheltered and much more pleasant anchorage in Kulleet Bay off Vancouver Island to wait for the dockers strike to conclude.

As for the Tesla ships, VIKING SEA continues to anchor and wait south of Vancouver Island.

I found something interesting, though - Wallenius Wilhelmsen is the company that operates the auto terminals at the Port of Vancouver (Richmond + Annacis), as well as at least one auto terminal that I found in the Port of Tacoma. They have ship schedules published on their website, and when I searched for incoming shipments to North America from Asia, I found that they listed the MORNING MARGARETA as sailing from Masan, to Shanghai, and then onward to... TACOMA, WASHINGTON, with an ETA of July 20!

Id3fV5H.png

I don't know if the plan all along was for her to sail to Vancouver for July 15/16 and then south to Tacoma, and vessel tracking sites still list New Westminster, BC as her destination. But it makes me wonder if that ship (which is likely carrying my car!) might be diverted. @Mr Miserable do you have any info that would support this?

GRAND SAPPHIRE is also en route to Shanghai, as mentioned before, with an ETA of July 9 - so we'll see which port she sets sail for after loading up with vehicles.

Makes you wonder, though...if you assume VIKING SEA is carrying 250 vehicles, and MORNING MARGARETA and GRAND SAPPHIRE can carry at least 4000 vehicles each, that's roughly half a billion dollars (using CAD pricing) in vehicles that Tesla cannot sell to waiting customers in Canada because they would be stuck mere miles from the Canadian coast.

Given that some vessels have already begun to divert, how long can this strike go on before Tesla has to start looking at alternative arrangements? 👀

EDIT: I found the GRAND SAPPHIRE on their schedule too - she's listed as being bound for Tacoma as well, ETA July 23.

WNZi04F.png
I think I covered this on 1 Jul here

I only used 2 lines and so easy to miss I suppose.

I think all the cars will be destined to Canada - the ones dropped off at Tacoma will head to the eastern provinces.

Reactions: XHabjab
at least when the strike is over, she'll head to Richmond and unload faster than from Victoria
You're at risk of underestimating the logistics involved which could lead to disappointment and even more frustration.
It's one thing to get a berth and unload the ship and quite another to get the cars from the dock to the point of delivery.

Reactions: navguy12
Alongside the Shanghai Haitong Terminal at the moment is GOLD XING.
She is scheduled to depart tomorrow to Ashdod, Israel (1 Aug) and Derince, Turkey (5 Aug).
If this is a Tesla shipment it will be of MY and I'm keen to learn whether this fits with the anticipated Israeli delivery.

@Mr Miserable any idea if any ship will arrive next week in Belgium or The Netherlands?

Is there a possibility that Cosco Universe has M3’s?
There is absolutely no chance that COSCO UNIVERSE has any cars onboard, never mind Teslas! Trust me on this.
Look at the map. Read my summaries. At the moment I'm doing them every couple of days but as soon as it hots up I will return to a daily summary. My last summary is here.

Reactions: DM231191