Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[2023 Model 3 SR] Sound System Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New club member here! Recently took delivery of a Model 3 Standard Range on the 31st and am looking to upgrade the partial sound system. I received a referral to this club from a another Tesla owner in a separate Discord server. I would love to get more information about the best kit(s) for 2023 builds and recommendations for any installers in the Bay Area, CA.

If you want a top notch audio experience, work with Reus Audio. While they are in Southern California, they regularly schedule trips to various parts of the country. Crappy web site, but you won't find a better sound for your car. I have had mine for over three years and couldn't be happier.
What did you get done? If you have pics to share that would be cool too. Thanks

Upvote 0
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money but want better sound, install replacement drivers in the dash and door. The ones I used were Infinity Ref 4032 in the dash, 3 of them, and Focal ISU200 in the front doors. I think the Infiniy drivers will also replace the rear door drivers but I didn’t do those.

If you think it’ll improve tho sound there are wire harnesses that will connect to the tweeters in the pillar and door. I believe the connections may be there for those but I didn’t try. Once I had the dash drivers replaced I didn’t see the need.

The big problem is that the audio is a closed system. Unlike most cars there is no access to anything as it is integrated into the console. All the other car sounds come though it too. Reus may know how to build out a system as they’ve specialized in it, but it’ll cost ya. I was able to do what I did myself, popping off panels as needed, and buying a few cheap tools. Most other car audio shops won’t know what to do as a Tesla is not a head unit/amp/ speakers build. And if you want a subwoofer you’re on your own. There’s no sub feed in an sr+.

The other thing you want is Tidal. It is the only high quality streaming source and it’ll sound much better than Spotify or Apple. The other option is music on a USB stick, but if you haven’t already ripped thousands of CDs that’s a big hassle.

As you can see I’ve been down this road already. Feel free to ask questions.

Reactions: Derektem
Upvote 0
What did you get done? If you have pics to share that would be cool too. Thanks
No pictures to share as other than a sub box in the sub-truck, there is nothing visible. Most important, it sounds super clean and clear - honestly the best I've ever heard. If you are ever in the Orange County area (I work near John Wayne airport) and want to hear (which is really how you should judge), send me a PM. I have no affiliation with Reus other than being a very satisfied customer.

These guys design and have built their own drivers, amps, and electronics. Here is what was included in what I installed:
10" Premium Woofer Module Added - Floor Storage Area
Total Added Power: 400 Watts
Dual Upper Midrange Tweeter Modules
Center Channel Enhancement
Premium Passive and Active Crossovers and Premium Integration Module

Upvote 0
I spoke to my Tundra installer who is a reputable guy and he's going to do something really simple for my wife:
JL components for front and rear
5 channel RF amp
1-10" jl sub in the rear floor compartment.
Roughly $3300 for everything.
Just make sure he's done Teslas before. Ask these questions: Does he know how to power the amp, does he know where he is getting his sub signal from, or any signal for that matter. If he doesn't know off the top of his head, look elsewhere.

Upvote 0
No pictures to share as other than a sub box in the sub-truck, there is nothing visible. Most important, it sounds super clean and clear - honestly the best I've ever heard. If you are ever in the Orange County area (I work near John Wayne airport) and want to hear (which is really how you should judge), send me a PM. I have no affiliation with Reus other than being a very satisfied customer.

These guys design and have built their own drivers, amps, and electronics. Here is what was included in what I installed:
10" Premium Woofer Module Added - Floor Storage Area
Total Added Power: 400 Watts
Dual Upper Midrange Tweeter Modules
Center Channel Enhancement
Premium Passive and Active Crossovers and Premium Integration Module
I may take you up on that. My kid goes to CSULB so I'm always in the area. Can you share a pic of the enclosure in the trunk if you have one?
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just make sure he's done Teslas before. Ask these questions: Does he know how to power the amp, does he know where he is getting his sub signal from, or any signal for that matter. If he doesn't know off the top of his head, look elsewhere.
He has. Thanks for sharing the info tho. I saw the same questions posted somewhere and I did ask. He's done a few and was able to show me some samples of the work he did. All looked clean.

Upvote 0
If you don’t want to spend a lot of money but want better sound, install replacement drivers in the dash and door. The ones I used were Infinity Ref 4032 in the dash, 3 of them, and Focal ISU200 in the front doors. I think the Infiniy drivers will also replace the rear door drivers but I didn’t do those.

If you think it’ll improve tho sound there are wire harnesses that will connect to the tweeters in the pillar and door. I believe the connections may be there for those but I didn’t try. Once I had the dash drivers replaced I didn’t see the need.

The big problem is that the audio is a closed system. Unlike most cars there is no access to anything as it is integrated into the console. All the other car sounds come though it too. Reus may know how to build out a system as they’ve specialized in it, but it’ll cost ya. I was able to do what I did myself, popping off panels as needed, and buying a few cheap tools. Most other car audio shops won’t know what to do as a Tesla is not a head unit/amp/ speakers build. And if you want a subwoofer you’re on your own. There’s no sub feed in an sr+.

The other thing you want is Tidal. It is the only high quality streaming source and it’ll sound much better than Spotify or Apple. The other option is music on a USB stick, but if you haven’t already ripped thousands of CDs that’s a big hassle.

As you can see I’ve been down this road already. Feel free to ask questions.
For the Focal ISU200 speakers, did you have to buy specific brackets/mounts for them to be installed properly in the front doors? If so, can you tell me where you bought the brackets from?

I am currently debating on whether to get the Alpine S-65 6.5inches speakers for the front door and the Alpine 30MC mid-range speakers for the dash, or go with the Infinities 4032 and Focal ISU200. :)

Upvote 0
I bought the brackets and wires from AmpedGarage for both sets of speakers. The brackets for the Infinity dash speakers needed to be trimmed as they weren't specific to the Infinity, plus they have "ears" that protrude and get in the way of the dash panel. You can trim with a utility knife.

Also, be aware that not many drivers fit in the Tesla, that was one of the problems that people faced. They generally need to be low profile. And no matter what you decide you'll need some kind of bracket and wire set.

Reactions: DomDeWild
Upvote 0
I'm doing the same on a 23 model 3 with amped garage, faitals/daytona/focals.

I want to add a sub though, so I'm figuring that out now. I think that our cars do not have a 12v battery anymore so may have to add one.
I would suggest you try the system with your upgrades but without the sub first to see if you really need it. I'm happy with it the way it is. Subs just give you more of the boom-boom sound without being musical in most cars. For a lot of pop and hip-hop they'll make a difference that way, but I'm more a classic rock and jazz person and I don't feel you need it. I have speakers that go very low at home and I don't feel like I'm giving anything up in the car by comparison.

Reactions: SPtheALIEN
Upvote 0