Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3 LR...First 1500 mile road trip (3k round trip)...suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for new friends...after you send them a link to Tesla Super Charger locations!
HAHA! Yes new friends on the road trip! However, my ICE buddy was really surprised on how easy it was! We showed him a couple of videos on the trip and while we could have done the trip in about an hour or so less...it wasnt worth it for us. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many Tesla options we had along the route. Granted some roads we took were farm roads and not major highways so a tiny bit of planning was needed but in the end it was an awesome experience!

Reactions: fredjan
Trip changed but going mid-week first or second week of June. So ABRP shows a bunch of charge stops for only a few a few minutes. Perhaps it is because we have extra weight and speed is 90 mph amd SOC at destination in Fort Walton Beach FL….I was trying to just limit charges on ABRP to %60. Any suggestions?
Sorry I didn't see this post before you went, but if you told ABRP that you wanted to drive 90 mph the whole may and never to charge over 60%... Yeah I'd expect a lot of short stops. 90 mph is a relatively inefficient speed to drive and you are limiting the state of battery you are driving on by only allowing 60% (probably actually 50% assuming ABRP is planning for 10% soc arrival at superchargers).

For a 2022 3 LR telling ABRP to drive 90 mph the entire way from Denver to Destin (just used the standard 10% arrival I know you were shooting for more) and never charge above 60% it shows 17 stops for 2 hours and 54 minutes or about 10 minutes per stop.

I'm about curious on the reason for limiting charges to 60%, because it can have some untended consequences. Keeping the same parameter of driving 90 the entire way, but telling ABRP it can pick the charging times, it gives 12 charges for 3 hours and 9 minutes, or about 16 minutes per stop. But what it also did was trim 63 miles and 58 minutes off the trip. ABRP knows the charging curve of the car and typically won't put you into unnecessarily long charging sessions.

The arrival SOC at Destin really only impacts the last supercharger or two as ABRP or the car itself is still going to try and get you to the next supercharger with your lowest comfortable SOC level for the rest of the drive.

• Informative
Reactions: BMWM3Man
HAHA! Yes new friends on the road trip! However, my ICE buddy was really surprised on how easy it was! We showed him a couple of videos on the trip and while we could have done the trip in about an hour or so less...it wasnt worth it for us. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how many Tesla options we had along the route. Granted some roads we took were farm roads and not major highways so a tiny bit of planning was needed but in the end it was an awesome experience!
Farm roads are the best. They're pretty scenic and don't have much traffic in them

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Sorry I didn't see this post before you went, but if you told ABRP that you wanted to drive 90 mph the whole may and never to charge over 60%... Yeah I'd expect a lot of short stops. 90 mph is a relatively inefficient speed to drive and you are limiting the state of battery you are driving on by only allowing 60% (probably actually 50% assuming ABRP is planning for 10% soc arrival at superchargers).

For a 2022 3 LR telling ABRP to drive 90 mph the entire way from Denver to Destin (just used the standard 10% arrival I know you were shooting for more) and never charge above 60% it shows 17 stops for 2 hours and 54 minutes or about 10 minutes per stop.

I'm about curious on the reason for limiting charges to 60%, because it can have some untended consequences. Keeping the same parameter of driving 90 the entire way, but telling ABRP it can pick the charging times, it gives 12 charges for 3 hours and 9 minutes, or about 16 minutes per stop. But what it also did was trim 63 miles and 58 minutes off the trip. ABRP knows the charging curve of the car and typically won't put you into unnecessarily long charging sessions.

The arrival SOC at Destin really only impacts the last supercharger or two as ABRP or the car itself is still going to try and get you to the next supercharger with your lowest comfortable SOC level for the rest of the drive.
On the way out we limited the charge to 60% for our trip but we found that it charged up VERY quickly on each stop. We were NOT going for efficiency after the first stop on the way. ABRP was a good "estimate" and it gave us options. However it was having us charge up for multiple times for several minutes and we elected to pass on them.

We limited our charges to 60% because we simply charge at home to that level. What we found was changing to 80% gave us more options.

What we did find is that on the way to FLA we charged 9 times. On the way back we charged around the same but we did not do the ABRP recommendations we also put the charge limit to 80% and that was better for us due to letting dogs out and "taking care of business"...LOL

Once I figured out how the charging things worked out, I blew off the ABRP suggestions but it allowed us to see other chargers.

ABRP was a good "suggestion" but it was not accurate and I do subscribe.

So on our trip out to FLA was mostly using ABRP and Tesla Nav. On the way back, after seeing how the car ran, I literally had zero issues just "hauling a$$" for things.

One thing we did differently is that the Tesla NAV and ABRP does not take into consideration traffic and weather. I found that if I already knew a route to go to avoid construction and a more efficient way to go I would take that on the way home. We did that and it helped.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
We limited our charges to 60% because we simply charge at home to that level. What we found was changing to 80% gave us more options.

What we did find is that on the way to FLA we charged 9 times. On the way back we charged around the same but we did not do the ABRP recommendations we also put the charge limit to 80% and that was better for us due to letting dogs out and "taking care of business"...LOL

Once I figured out how the charging things worked out, I blew off the ABRP suggestions but it allowed us to see other chargers.

ABRP was a good "suggestion" but it was not accurate and I do subscribe.

So on our trip out to FLA was mostly using ABRP and Tesla Nav. On the way back, after seeing how the car ran, I literally had zero issues just "hauling a$$" for things.

One thing we did differently is that the Tesla NAV and ABRP does not take into consideration traffic and weather. I found that if I already knew a route to go to avoid construction and a more efficient way to go I would take that on the way home. We did that and it helped.

Charging periodically to 90% or even (God forbid) 100% gives you even more options. From Tesla...

• For AWD vehicles: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for Daily use. If you need 100% of your battery for a long-distance trip, increase the limit for Trip as needed.

• Funny
Time for new friends...after you send them a link to Tesla Super Charger locations! But there is no doubt it will take longer.

37 hours according to this....for example Denver to Naples. Google maps shows 29 or 30 hours with ICE.

Denver to Fort Walton Beach was 21 hours and change.

We elected to get a fast charge at several stops on the way out but on the return trip I moved the charge limit to 80% and it worked.
Farm roads are the best. They're pretty scenic and don't have much traffic in them
YES! No traffic but no chargers....however, we made certain we would find one close by!
Except slow tractors

UGG not at night with Tractors or construction!

Denver to Fort Walton Beach was 21 hours and change.

We elected to get a fast charge at several stops on the way out but on the return trip I moved the charge limit to 80% and it worked.

YES! No traffic but no chargers....however, we made certain we would find one close by!

UGG not at night with Tractors or construction!
as others alluded to driving 90mph is probably not the way to get there the fastest.. i dont know what the right speed is but i suppose ABRP could help with that

Reactions: fredjan
as others alluded to driving 90mph is probably not the way to get there the fastest.. i dont know what the right speed is but i suppose ABRP could help with that
Driving a route that has adequate superchargers, the quickest path is generally going to be drive as fast as you feel comfortable. Supercharging speeds from 0-80% ish are well in excess of the speed you are driving. Thus, any additional charging times from driving inefficiently battery wise are made up by your actual road speed. in this trip's example ABRP will confirm that. What was self-limiting here on the trip down was limiting charging to 60%. Depending on the route of a trip, if you goal is the absolute quickest trip time-wise possible, limiting the SC charge to 60% is going to potentially either cut off quicker routes and or potentially lead to slightly inefficient charging times by adding potentially unnecessary stops.

Last edited:
Driving a route that has adequate superchargers, the quickest path is generally going to be drive as fast as you feel comfortable. Supercharging speeds from 0-80% ish are well in excess of the speed you are driving. Thus, any additional charging times from driving inefficiently battery wise are made up by your actual road speed. in this trip's example ABRP will confirm that. What was self-limiting here on the trip down was limiting charging to 60%. Depending on the route of a trip, if you goal is the absolute quickest trip time-wise possible, limiting the SC charge to 60% is going to potentially either cut off quicker routes and or potentially lead to slightly inefficient charging times by adding potentially unnecessary stops.
is there a way to make ABRP show the speed on the legs? i have always used www.evtripplanner.com instead b/c it shows more details

is there a way to make ABRP show the speed on the legs? i have always used www.evtripplanner.com instead b/c it shows more details
They used to do a really good job of that if you clicked on any point of the map*, but for whatever reason that function regressed. ABRP will still show the stated speed limit based on open source data at any point if you click though (and it will plan a given route based on the user indicated reference speed based off of that).

In this instance, I forced a very high reference speed and told it my max speed was 90 mph to conform to the OP post I was responding to. That should've lead it to plan the entire route at 90 mph.

*it can still be easily calculated based on time versus distance i.e. the 2nd leg from Denver to Fort Walton is showing a 60 minute 88 mile drive for me based on my inputs giving me a good idea it is following my 90 mph request

Edit: ABRP can also be forced to allow for a slower leg or legs if it thinks it will be faster with a click of a button it will given you the indicated speed to maintain for said leg or legs.

Last edited:
Well our plans changed again and we just returned from our 10 day trip to NW Florida from Colorado and back. Our trip was 1500 miles each way and driving at our destination on the Emerald Coast around Destin/Fort Walton Beach/Pensacola and it was a fun vacation!

I have to say that this was one of the BEST road trips we have taken in a very long time! Our 2022 M3LR performed great! Some observations:

1. We used a combination of ABRP and the Tesla navigation. Tesla wanted to do longer stops with more distance between stops whereas ABRP had numerous stops with smaller time for charging. ON the way out we tried ABRP and it was pretty good but we skipped a couple of 6 min "bump up" stops because we spent a longer time at the previous charger. On the way home we did another combination of ABRP and the Tesla Navigation. Between the two we had the best of both worlds!

2. We drove both the out and back legs in one trip. AKA straight-through driving. I have done this trip a couple of times previously in our Macan and to be honest, between the two trips we both preferred the Tesla by far!

3. Zero charge anxiety (something we thought would be an issue but it simply wasn't). There were options along the route to charge early or later depending on how we felt. We NEVER had to wait on a charger but there were a couple of times where we were the last folks in a slot and that only happened twice. The nice thing is that even if we did have to wait, chargers freed up within minutes.

4. Many times we did not get the "preconditioning message" and it had me worried. What I "assume" is that since we were driving in hot weather across Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi/Florida, the battery was already warm enough to not need preconditioning. Is that correct?

5. We had our M3LR packed up with two 45 lb dogs and they both did great! I initially was going to keep the rear seats up but after seeing a few videos online, it was better that we left the rear seats folded down. We used a rear seat cover Rear Seat Cover and were super happy with it! Since the seats were down we simply laid the rear portion back into the trunk area and this worked fine. I highly recommend this rear seat cover if you are looking for one!

6. My friend said that the trip would take MUCH longer than in an ICE car. This is debatable depending on how you travel. Our previous trips in the Macan were just about the same time. We found that the car was waiting on us rather than us waiting on the car. With two of us and two dogs it takes a bit to stretch, use the restrooms, let dogs get water and snacks/food etc so it was actually more comfortable just leaving the car at the charger while taking care of those things. In an ICE vehicle you have to get your fuel and then re-park so leaving the M3LR in one spot was convenient.

7. We found that sometimes the Tesla Nav would take us to 150KW chargers where there were 250KW chargers that were pretty close. We elected to try some of the 250KW chargers that ABRP recommended and to be honest we preferred that. Not because they are simply faster but rather the newer 250KW chargers "seemed" to have better amenities at them.

8. We did not go for efficiency at any time! We were doing it "cannonball" style for speeds....hahaha! The biggest difference when driving fast between our ICE vehicles and the Tesla was the quietness in the car. Simply a joy to drive.

9. Autopilot issues! The trip was not perfect when using autopilot and to be honest I stopped using it for a couple of reasons. One, the max speed was 85 mph to use it (enough said LOL). The other issue was that in Texas with hot temps we had phantom braking so much so that we simply could not trust it. My thoughts on this may have to do with the mirages that were constant in the mid-day heat. At night though, we had ZERO issues with autopilot when we elected to use it.

10. Finally, It was so fun to "travel" and meet folks out on the road! Everyone was super friendly and when I had questions everyone was happy to assist. At our first charging spot the car would not charge. Two folks suggested we move to another charger and that fixed the issue. What was odd is that someone pulled into the charger we tried and had zero issues. It was also fun to meet up with folks further down the line at other chargers! We met some really awesome folks that we are going to keep in touch with!

Well that's about it! All in all I would NEVER EVER hesitate to take the Tesla on a road trip cross country! It was a pleasure and was just simply fun! We do have the Premium Connectivity and found that having the Google Maps up and the streaming services to be a really nice thing to have. In some areas where we had no phone connections the Tesla always had it! Pretty cool!

Thanks for all of the advice folks have provided in this thread! It really helped us tremendously!
Haha, sounds great! Cannonballing is the fastest way to roadtrip. If you run the trip simulations you find faster speeds result in the shortest trip times, because the tradeoff between driving and charging favors driving fast; you save more time driving, than you waste charging.

Haha, sounds great! Cannonballing is the fastest way to roadtrip. If you run the trip simulations you find faster speeds result in the shortest trip times, because the tradeoff between driving and charging favors driving fast; you save more time driving, than you waste charging.
also you don't have to sit in the car as long... but i guess it costs more.. especially if your shopping everytime hah

• Informative
also you don't have to sit in the car as long... but i guess it costs more.. especially if your shopping everytime hah
Cost was not an option based on the fuel costs. We made a point of going into every place we stopped (some were not available at 3 AM) and purchase something! I do that when I fill up as well. Keep the local stations for gas/charging available.

I live 40 miles north of Destin, FL. If you are staying in Destin the nearest supercharger is in Crestview, FL (30+ miles) or Panama City, FL (30+ miles). There are destination chargers around, but competition is fierce and they are slow or broken. There isn't a supercharger in Pensacola (45+ mi from Destin), there is a SC but the level 2 chargers are frequently used by cars in for service and the SC is in the middle of nowhere walkable. Bring your mobile charger if you have one. Charge to 100% when you get off I-10 in Crestview, FL (Panera Bread and Starbucks are in the same parking lot) and you may be able to forgo charging or get by with your mobile charger while you drive around Destin.
We found that there is a supercharger in Defuniak Springs where my in laws live and it was a nice place to stop. No one was there so it was a nice place to "top off" as we were there multiple times from Pensacola to Defuniak Springs. The Crestview charger was nice and the only reason we topped off there was because we figured we would support a local charger if that makes sense. The BEST charger was in Gulf Breeze at the Publix supermarket! What a clean an nice place to charge up for our return trip! HIGHLY recommended!
Based upon your stop requirements, your trip is pretty ideal for a Tesla LR. Driving as fast as you feel comfortable with, and charging at SOCs as low as you feel comfortable with, will give you the fastest trip times. I punched in a Denver to Destin trip, @108% of speed limit, which is kind of the average between you and your wife, and it show 21h16m of driving, with 2h53m of charging at 13 stops, all at Superchargers. That makes your average stop time 13m, and the longest 24m. Shortest segments 70m and longest 156m. Pretty much matches your requirements. I can't imagine driving an ICE with your requirements on speed and stop frequency would be any faster.
Cannonballing the trip worked for us. I wont mention our reasons but GOING FASTER makes the trip really easy. When traveling with roads that have few towns it simply made sense to go FAST! Now that we are back, going super fast worked for us! The Tesla was a BREEZE to use. Having the ABRP app and Tesla Navi really helped! We found that we waited more for a "pit stop" than the car was telling us to do! Dogs, human issues (LOL), food....etc....It just worked!
ColoradoMike please don't over think your road-trip. Wifey and I do an AZ~Cape Cod~AZ twice a year in our Model Y LR AWD (once in a Chevy Bolt... Don't ask). Piece of cake.

Enjoy the trip and get back to us with your tale of "cheating death" road-tripping in an EV!!
😈

Rich
I posted this on our trip report previously. Yeah I totally over thought it.....It was a pleasure to drive and it was fun to see other folks "running" the same legs of the journey we did! What was super cool is that we encountered a couple of folks doing a similar thing...driving FAST and encountering them at multiple chargers along our route!
Hmmm... good question. In the initial planning phase, I doubt the Tesla planner factors in your driving style, like speed, which is the most important variable. It does now factor in weather, including wind, which is also a big difference maker. But, as someone else mentioned, the car will notify you if you aren't going to make your next stop as planned and re-route to one you can make.

I use ABRP for planning, and input the stops into the car's nav. To me, that's the best of both systems. ABRP's estimate are very dynamic as you drive, not to mention you can input your speed when estimating. I found ABRP to be more accurate, especially if you do their subscription. When I did it, it was free for 2weeks, and $5 a month, afterward. It also gets the live supercharger data so it knows which ones are down, etc. just like the Tesla nav.

I did the Maine to Denver and back trip, 18months ago, 4400 miles roundtrip. 3 days there, 3 days back. Drove myself, so between 600 and 800 miles a day. It was the easiest roadtrip ever. I've done lots of roadtrips in ICE vehicles, and the Tesla is the easiest even with charging, as long as you are used to stopping every couple hours. Like I said, your requirements are pretty optimal for roadtripping a Tesla.

It's even easier nowadays with more V3 superchargers. Don't overthink it. You'll see after your first stop or two. It's braindead easy.
What I do think is that the Tesla Navigation pushes a spot to move on. The first leg from Colorado to Florida was a good test. However, we found that looking at 250kw around where we elected to stop was better than what the Tesla App showed. Case in point, Amarillo TX......we re-routed to avoid downtown Amarillo during rush hour and it potentially saved us a bunch of time.
Hey ColoradoMike, my wife and I are brand new to Tesla after driving only Toyota/Lexus vehicles since the early 1990s. We are in our 60s and have had a Model Y LR for just 4 months now and have logged over 7,000 miles. We don't know anything about A Better Route Planner or Waves. However, we've taken our car on 2 long road trips from southwest Illinois (metro St. Louis). One trip to southern Mississippi and a second trip to the Washington DC metro area. On each trip, we just navigated to our destinations and stopped only at Tesla superchargers. TIP ONE: let your car navigate to the superchargers as it will precondition the battery for the fastest possible charging sessions (it will do this automatically if you are navigating your destination). TIP TWO: Please lower your expectations for travel time. Expect to stop for charging every two and a half hours or so for 20-35 minutes as many of the superchargers are still the older version 2 stations that max out at 150 kw. This was the most disappointing part of our trips for me because I was used to driving 4-hour stretches before stopping. so, your friend who said it will add WAY more time to a trip is correct. But so what, just plan accordingly. TIP THREE: At any point along the way, you can tap the charging icon on the screen to see all of the supercharger stations within range of your car. I found this to be quite helpful, as it allows you to select faster version 3 stations when available. You should be able to make your trip easily exclusively on Tesla superchargers. Also check for hotels with Tesla destination chargers. Free go-go juice is always good. I've found the Tesla community on this site to be very helpful. Members have posted good advice for you. Please forgive me for being so long winded but road tripping in a Tesla (even at our age) is extremely easy and even enjoyable when you get use to the stops. HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!! BTW-We plan to drive to Colorado Springs in early September, so maybe you could give us some tips.:cool:👍
Great suggestions! Now that we are home I will have to say that we did not experience any delays on travel time. We "hauled ass" both ways and I cannot comment on driving speeds. We were going VERY FAST both ways and I had no issues doing it. However, we did make plans for hitting a charger when it was necessary. The Tesla Navigation was good and did a great job of adjusting (Perhaps) but we had stops across the route to "Bail" on our plan. This did happen once when the Tesla Nav stated we would be below 5% on the way to Florida. On the way home I figured we could arrive at a charger less than 10% and it worked for us. I was not scared of this based on our trip on the first leg from CO/FLA......

60% is what we charge at home to make trips to stores and running around town. We did up our charging to 80% on a couple of stops to account for a "longer pit stop". We did find that "upping" our charge to *80% gave us a bit more time to take care of the dogs and food. ABRP was an outstanding resource for us! We did pay for the upgraded version of the app. Not certain if it helped us but it was nice to have it. We DID elect to push the charge limit to 100% on the way home as we needed a "nap"......we woke up before the charge limit but it was nice to do that and I think that both the Tesla App and ABRP accounted for this, I may be wrong but it worked out for us.
Driving a route that has adequate superchargers, the quickest path is generally going to be drive as fast as you feel comfortable. Supercharging speeds from 0-80% ish are well in excess of the speed you are driving. Thus, any additional charging times from driving inefficiently battery wise are made up by your actual road speed. in this trip's example ABRP will confirm that. What was self-limiting here on the trip down was limiting charging to 60%. Depending on the route of a trip, if you goal is the absolute quickest trip time-wise possible, limiting the SC charge to 60% is going to potentially either cut off quicker routes and or potentially lead to slightly inefficient charging times by adding potentially unnecessary stop
Hmmm... we did not find this the case. We both found that over multiple stops charging from 5% to 10% on our stops allowed the car to charge VERY fast! Apps are a good planning thing but driving at a lower speed would have hindered our goal of getting to our destination. YMMV. For us, Driving VERY FAST got us to a "pit stop" quickly and and the battery was simply ready to "suck in" all the charge it could get! I hope that makes sense.

SOOOOO we did not keep the aero wheels on the car. We experimented with the way to FLA and back to CO. What we discoverd on the first trip from CO to FLA (Using ABRP in conjunction with the Tesla Navigation) was that we figured out is that the Tesla was ready to go before we got back into it. We also found out that navigating to a 250kW charger was better for us. Efficiency was not our goal.

On the way home we did a "BLEND" of ABRP and Tesla Navigation. Since we had a road trip under our belt to FLA we PUSHED the M3LR a bit harder and had no issues going under 10% for the battery. It actually made the return trip FASTER than the way out.

From our experience.....we will NEVER hesitate to take the car with two 50 lb dogs on a trip. Do not be hesitant to drive FAST! It works. It would probably cost a bit more but WAY less than either of our other vehicles!

Hmmm... we did not find this the case. We both found that over multiple stops charging from 5% to 10% on our stops allowed the car to charge VERY fast! Apps are a good planning thing but driving at a lower speed would have hindered our goal of getting to our destination. YMMV. For us, Driving VERY FAST got us to a "pit stop" quickly and and the battery was simply ready to "suck in" all the charge it could get! I hope that makes sense.
I'm not sure if you meant to quote a different post or not, because my post you quoted literally said driving as fast as you feel comfortable driving is going to be the quickest just like an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I'm very glad I found this thread.
Our MYLR'22 has not been used for any long trips because of range anxiety. I understand now that this is is over hyped.
We are planning a trip in early September from home in New Orleans, to Nashville, then on to Independence, VA, then on to Hull, MA, with a stop in Eastern PA on the way back to NOLa. All tolled about a 3900 mile trip.
I have a set of jack pads and a mobile charger, with a J1772 and a 110 adapter, but what is the feeling about carrying a spare tire (ModernSpare)? I don't have it yet, but what are the thoughts on the members. Also would an extension cord for the mobile charger be a good idea, or is the cord on the mobile charger long enough for most situations?

ModernSpare
If I was going on such a road trip I would bring a spare and tools to change wheels in case of a flat. FUD allert: Imagine being dependent on road service and they can't show up for hours, or there is no place open, or they have to order a tire ... how destroyed would your trip be. Even if you don't get a flat, I bet your stress level would be way down during the whole trip if you brought a spare.