Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 M3 LR...First 1500 mile road trip (3k round trip)...suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very glad I found this thread.
Our MYLR'22 has not been used for any long trips because of range anxiety. I understand now that this is is over hyped.
We are planning a trip in early September from home in New Orleans, to Nashville, then on to Independence, VA, then on to Hull, MA, with a stop in Eastern PA on the way back to NOLa. All tolled about a 3900 mile trip.
I have a set of jack pads and a mobile charger, with a J1772 and a 110 adapter, but what is the feeling about carrying a spare tire (ModernSpare)? I don't have it yet, but what are the thoughts on the members. Also would an extension cord for the mobile charger be a good idea, or is the cord on the mobile charger long enough for most situations?
Bring a spare tire, bug and tar remover, glass cleaner, and possibly a couple microfiber towels

Reactions: zoomer0056
If I was going on such a road trip I would bring a spare and tools to change wheels in case of a flat. FUD allert: Imagine being dependent on road service and they can't show up for hours, or there is no place open, or they have to order a tire ... how destroyed would your trip be. Even if you don't get a flat, I bet your stress level would be way down during the whole trip if you brought a spare.
They take up huge space though, and they’re smelly, and you probably won’t need it. As an alternative, consider bringing a flat-tire repair kit and a 12V air pump to let you limp into a tire shop. You are not going to the boonies, you’ll entirely be near civilization.

They take up huge space though, and they’re smelly, and you probably won’t need it. As an alternative, consider bringing a flat-tire repair kit and a 12V air pump to let you limp into a tire shop. You are not going to the boonies, you’ll entirely be near civilization.
Great trip log writeup on your Alaska trip! I read just one page only. Did you have any tire problems?

Reactions: IdaX
I'm very glad I found this thread.
Our MYLR'22 has not been used for any long trips because of range anxiety. I understand now that this is is over hyped.
We are planning a trip in early September from home in New Orleans, to Nashville, then on to Independence, VA, then on to Hull, MA, with a stop in Eastern PA on the way back to NOLa. All tolled about a 3900 mile trip.
I have a set of jack pads and a mobile charger, with a J1772 and a 110 adapter, but what is the feeling about carrying a spare tire (ModernSpare)? I don't have it yet, but what are the thoughts on the members. Also would an extension cord for the mobile charger be a good idea, or is the cord on the mobile charger long enough for most situations?
Use ABRP to plan the route to understand your charging options.

An extension cord isn’t a good idea or necessary for the mobile charger - in 5 years I’ve never needed one.

Bring a can of fix a flat, a tire repair kit, a torque wrench and a portable charger if you want to be fully prepared. Those will all fit in your frunk or the trunk’s underfloor compartment.

Don’t overthink the trip, but do go into it prepared and informed about where you’ll be charging.

Last comment: use 250KW (V3) Superchargers where possible. Since they don’t share power with other chargers, their charging speed is never affected by other users.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
We do a lot of long trips (going from NC to WA & back in Sept.). We had two flat tires within the first month we owned our 2019 M3LR. These were local and allowed us to repair the tire in our garage with the plug kit and mobile compressor we’ve had since the car was new.

I found the plug process to be physically demanding as the reaming and pushing the plug in is‘t easy. Doing this on the side of a busy road, or in bad weather, or at night, would be tough. My wife can change a tire but she can’t plug one. So, we bought a Modern Spare.

As IdaX said, it takes up a huge amount of room in the trunk. The compressor and plug kit are much smaller in our sub-trunk. We can pack around it, but the space lost is significant as it’s an awkward (tire) shape.

In the four years we’ve had the spare we’ve never had another flat.

Reactions: mspohr and IdaX
Use ABRP to plan the route to understand your charging options.

An extension cord isn’t a good idea or necessary for the mobile charger - in 5 years I’ve never needed one.

Bring a can of fix a flat, a tire repair kit, a torque wrench and a portable charger if you want to be fully prepared. Those will all fit in your frunk or the trunk’s underfloor compartment.

Don’t overthink the trip, but do go into it prepared and informed about where you’ll be charging.

Last comment: use 250KW (V3) Superchargers where possible. Since they don’t share power with other chargers, their charging speed is never affected by other users.
Edit: Portable COMPRESSOR, not portable charger.... 🤦‍♂️

what is the feeling about carrying a spare tire (ModernSpare)? I don't have it yet, but what are the thoughts on the members. Also would an extension cord for the mobile charger be a good idea, or is the cord on the mobile charger long enough for most situations?
I carry a plug kit and a small, compact, 12V air compressor. I also carry an extension cord (#10 gauge) but it's probably not necessary.
Edit: Check plugshare for charging locations. You might want to consider a CCS adapter if there are no Tesla chargers in range.