Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.40.4.1 - lockout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, i unlocked my car today enabling the Driver door unlocking feature turned on. I used the car multiple times without any issues today, during 3pm today i went to pick my daughter up from school the M3 was unlocked but the car locked me out. There was no way i could open any if the doors or boot from the outside, so i used the unlock door latch on the app to open the driver door and manual release the door from the inside for passangers.

I called Tesla support who told me different way to to reset the car which helped only to unlock the driver door from the outside. As i was still on the phone to TS i long pressed the driver door button to unlock all doors and voila everything worked fine.

There is a glitch in this software update where it locks you out of the vehicle if you have the new driver door lock feature on, it will lock all doors from the outside and no way of getting in.

Anyone else had this issue since the update?

If you’d turned the new driver door unlock feature on, then only the drivers door will unlock without you manually unlocking the other doors as you say, holding the druvers door open button is the way so it seems that bit is correct. That leaves the drivers door, so you’re saying that doesn’t unlock if you approach with the phone key and try to open it?

There’s a video of 2022.40.4 around showing the features and it appeared to work fine on that,.

What was the reset they told you to do as that seems to be the thing that fixed it, the rest seems correct operation, unless I’m misunderstanding?

If you’d turned the new driver door unlock feature on, then only the drivers door will unlock without you manually unlocking the other doors as you say, holding the druvers door open button is the way so it seems that bit is correct. That leaves the drivers door, so you’re saying that doesn’t unlock if you approach with the phone key and try to open it?

There’s a video of 2022.40.4 around showing the features and it appeared to work fine on that,.

What was the reset they told you to do as that seems to be the thing that fixed it, the rest seems correct operation, unless I’m misunderstanding?
The first time it locked me out of all the doors including the driver door, and yes, you are correct, the reset TS on call told me worked fine afterwards. But if someone is using this feature for the first time they might get locked out and panic. I know have experienced this and hopefully if people are in this situation they might know what to do now.

The first time it locked me out of all the doors including the driver door, and yes, you are correct, the reset TS on call told me worked fine afterwards. But if someone is using this feature for the first time they might get locked out and panic. I know have experienced this and hopefully if people are in this situation they might know what to do now.
I agree, its a useful warning, thanks. I'm just curious what the reset was which will help others. Was it simply pressing the scroll wheels causing a reboot or something else? I've seen some suggest a reboot after an software install is a good idea regardless, your issue reinforces the point.

I agree, its a useful warning, thanks. I'm just curious what the reset was which will help others. Was it simply pressing the scroll wheels causing a reboot or something else? I've seen some suggest a reboot after an software install is a good idea regardless, your issue reinforces the point.
No, its not just a simple scroll reset there were 4 different resets i had to do. I remember how to do it and will post it later on here, just going in and out of meetings at the moment.

But the reset they made me performed i never knew them lol

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds

The car will reboot itself after update.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_051202_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_051202_Tesla.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 460
I had this happen today, first drive after receiving 40.4.1 yesterday. After reading the release notes, I enabled the door unlock feature and drove the car. All was OK at my first return to the parked car - phone key worked - but after a 2nd drive and subseequent park, the car wouldn't open with the phone key - doors, boot wouldn't unlock. I used the keycard on the door pillar and it unlocked. I was able to drive off without using the keycard on the console, so the phone's functionality was returned.

I've disabled the door unlock feature, for the time being at least.

Emergency bug fix incoming?

How to reset:

Follow the steps in these order to fully reset the Tesla and have access to the doors if you get locked out.

Step 1: Remove everything from the USB ports, press brake and hold both steering till the screen turns black and continue to hold the steering for further 5 seconds.

Step 2: after your vehicle has restarted, go to settings, safety/service and press the power off button, and do not exit or press the brake or anything else for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. To wake the car up press brake or exit the car.

Step 3: go to safety/service, wheel calibration and change your wheels to any other wheel, wait for the system to restart, once restarted, change it back to your original wheel setting and wait for the system to restart again.

Step 4: walk out the vehicle, lock the car and then unlock the car with with phone key or key fob, the driver door should open from the outside now.

If the passanger doors and boot don't open, long press the driver door unlock button till you see the hazard flashing, that should give you access to all the passanger doors and boot from the outside.

I hope this helps guys.

How to reset:

Follow the steps in these order to fully reset the Tesla and have access to the doors if you get locked out.

Step 1: Remove everything from the USB ports, press brake and hold both steering till the screen turns black and continue to hold the steering for further 5 seconds.

Step 2: after your vehicle has restarted, go to settings, safety/service and press the power off button, and do not exit or press the brake or anything else for 2 minutes and 30 seconds. To wake the car up press brake or exit the car.

Step 3: go to safety/service, wheel calibration and change your wheels to any other wheel, wait for the system to restart, once restarted, change it back to your original wheel setting and wait for the system to restart again.

Step 4: walk out the vehicle, lock the car and then unlock the car with with phone key or key fob, the driver door should open from the outside now.

If the passanger doors and boot don't open, long press the driver door unlock button till you see the hazard flashing, that should give you access to all the passanger doors and boot from the outside.

I hope this helps guys.
Really useful, thanks.

I noticed on Facebook last night somebody had a big issue with autopilot, wipers etc after an update and someone suggested what looks like your step 3 having tried the regular reboot, and it worked for them too. It seems the steps may cure a multitude of post update gremlins.

I had a brief TPMS issue last years when I swapped to our winter wheels. I noticed that when changing wheel types (an unnecessary step, but done to try and force recognition of changed TPMS) that car rebooted. It was a PITA as I was trying to resolve the issue multiple times in a car park and I thought at the time it was part of the issue. Good to see that this reboot on wheel change is a behaviour by design.

And there we have Tesla support continuing to tell people to press the brake pedal. Its not like this support line don't know what they are talking about. As I was told at the time, it prevents issues that may occur during the reboot procedure. So odd that manual now suggests that it is not necessary - although maybe that is to put off people who may reboot the car mid drive from brake checking someone!

I had a brief TPMS issue last years when I swapped to our winter wheels. I noticed that when changing wheel types (an unnecessary step, but done to try and force recognition of changed TPMS) that car rebooted. It was a PITA as I was trying to resolve the issue multiple times in a car park and I thought at the time it was part of the issue. Good to see that this reboot on wheel change is a behaviour by design.

And there we have Tesla support continuing to tell people to press the brake pedal. Its not like this support line don't know what they are talking about. As I was told at the time, it prevents issues that may occur during the reboot procedure. So odd that manual now suggests that it is not necessary - although maybe that is to put off people who may reboot the car mid drive from brake checking someone!
You’d think saying you needed the foot in the brake would stop people even trying when driving which would probably be safer. But I totally agree, service and the user manual don’t agree which is a bit odd

How to reset:

I hope this helps guys.
Blimey, I'm surprised they didn't suggest sacrificing a chicken as well ...