Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2021 Different Screens?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in the market to buy a used Model S. I have been noticing that some of the 2021 Model S have the original tall center screen…..and some have the new wide center screen. What gives?

I much prefer the original tall screen, as it looks more integrated into the dash and doesn’t stick up above the top of the dash. Just a much cleaner look in my opinion

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: danielk04
I’m in the market to buy a used Model S. I have been noticing that some of the 2021 Model S have the original tall center screen…..and some have the new wide center screen. What gives?

I much prefer the original tall screen, as it looks more integrated into the dash and doesn’t stick up above the top of the dash. Just a much cleaner look in my opinion

Thanks in advance!
Mid 2021 had a major refresh. It’s not just the screens, but includes a lot more changes as well. The ones with the horizontal screens should also have a yoke steering wheel.

Upvote 0
Thank you. What other changes….other than the screen and the yoke wheel? (I don’t like the yoke)
The refreshed Model S (built June 2021 and later, with the horizontal screen) have a LOT of changes, some of the main ones listed below. If you haven't yet, you should do a test drive in both the pre-refresh and refreshed cars to see which one fits your needs and budget (or at least watch some YouTube reviews).
- Much faster acceleration (that is usable repeatedly without as much degradation with decreasing state of charge).
- Much better interior materials and quality.
- Quieter interior.
- Ventilated (in addition to heated) front seats.
- Rear screen that can control rear climate controls and watch video content.
- Yoke with no stalks (turn signals on steering wheel, horn is a button, gear shifting is done on the screen).
- Multiple wireless phone chargers and USB-C ports (front & back).
- Wider fenders.
- Non-customizable driver display.

Upvote 0
The refreshed Model S (built June 2021 and later, with the horizontal screen) have a LOT of changes, some of the main ones listed below. If you haven't yet, you should do a test drive in both the pre-refresh and refreshed cars to see which one fits your needs and budget (or at least watch some YouTube reviews).
- Much faster acceleration (that is usable repeatedly without as much degradation with decreasing state of charge).
- Much better interior materials and quality.
- Quieter interior.
- Ventilated (in addition to heated) front seats.
- Rear screen that can control rear climate controls and watch video content.
- Yoke with no stalks (turn signals on steering wheel, horn is a button, gear shifting is done on the screen).
- Multiple wireless phone chargers and USB-C ports (front & back).
- Wider fenders.
- Non-customizable driver display.
Thank you so much!!

Upvote 1
Thank you. What other changes….other than the screen and the yoke wheel? (I don’t like the yoke)

There was/is a retrofit to go from a yoke to a conventional steering wheel, if that's the only thing holding you back. (Tesla has flip-flopped on this, as of this writing the steering wheel is the default on new builds, and the yoke is an added-cost option.)

I agree with @WiLz about trying to do a test drive in both cars if you can, to make a more informed decision.

Good luck!

Bruce.

Upvote 0