Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019MS: Acceleration and top speed reduced, vehicle may not restart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard of these types of errors, but I've been lucky it hadn't happened to me in my first Tesla 2017MS or my current 2019MS...until Monday evening... I got the two errors noted in the subject line; I foolishly decided to stop at a restaurant to grab something to eat and crossed my fingers... After an hour, the car wouldn't shift out of Park. Nothing. Nada. All the other electronics worked fine, it just wouldn't shift out of park. Also, I was getting more and more error messages on the dash, including a warning about the 12V battery. More warnings about the car shutting down, etc. I rebooted in all the ways we can, and the car would come back up with all the same error messages. A few times, the car fell asleep and I though it was dead, but it came back around after a few minutes. It's been at the Alpharetta SC since Tuesday morning and I haven't heard anything from them yet. I'm hoping it's something simple... From everything I've been reading, this is not uncommon... I've got about 80K miles on it... Dang!!

Thanks. So far, all I've heard is that it's the HV battery and it's on order... estimated repair completion is 27 Oct... At least they offered me a loaner! Haven't picked it up yet but, hopefully they'll have one for me! I'll post more as I learn more...

Just had this same issue two weeks ago. It ended up being the inverter SCR(s) which is replaced as an assembly with the rear drive unit (RDU).

A rear drive unit used on Ebay is more than $6,000. Thank goodness it was under warranty.

My beef is that there should be a notification that your 12V battery is discharging much like the alternator light on an ICE car. The idea that you are driving your car around discharging the battery and not knowing it is crazy to me.

Reactions: lmmuzquiz
My beef is that there should be a notification that your 12V battery is discharging much like the alternator light on an ICE car. The idea that you are driving your car around discharging the battery and not knowing it is crazy to me.
I believe there are error messages when the 12v battery is not being charged. What is different is you don't have a lot of time between when the 12v is stopped being charged and full shutdown, likely less than 20 minutes. It could be a lot less depending on how far charged up the 12v battery is when the failure occurs.

Not all that different from an ICE car with an alternator that dies. 12v battery is drained fairly quickly on both EVs and ICE when driving and no 12v charging.

Once you stop, Tesla smartly prevents you from starting again where the lack of 12v would be very bad mid-drive. ICE cars effectively do the same, as likely there is not enough 12v power to run the starter.

I've heard of these types of errors, but I've been lucky it hadn't happened to me in my first Tesla 2017MS or my current 2019MS...until Monday evening... I got the two errors noted in the subject line; I foolishly decided to stop at a restaurant to grab something to eat and crossed my fingers... After an hour, the car wouldn't shift out of Park. Nothing. Nada. All the other electronics worked fine, it just wouldn't shift out of park. Also, I was getting more and more error messages on the dash, including a warning about the 12V battery. More warnings about the car shutting down, etc. I rebooted in all the ways we can, and the car would come back up with all the same error messages. A few times, the car fell asleep and I though it was dead, but it came back around after a few minutes. It's been at the Alpharetta SC since Tuesday morning and I haven't heard anything from them yet. I'm hoping it's something simple... From everything I've been reading, this is not uncommon... I've got about 80K miles on it... Dang!!
This happened on my 2016 90D. There was a faulty component in the HV battery cooling/warming system. The car throws out these messages to protect the HV battery as the 12v drains and dies. Roadside sent a tow truck; component changed; 12v replaced: problem solved. I, too, stopped for a bite thinking I could restart and make it home. It didn't happen that way. Good luck. I seriously doubt it's the HV batter.

Reactions: lmmuzquiz
So, my 2019MS ended up being ready for pickup way earlier than the 27 Oct estimate...I was very pleased!! The SC told me they had to replace the HV battery, a repair that would've cost $17K if it wasn't covered by warranty. Wow! I was happy! They obviously replaced it with a "refurbished" battery, I'm okay with that. It's not charging to the same max miles that the original was charging to but, I'm okay with that. I lost about 10 miles, well within their "tolerances" from the research I've done. I'll be upgrading to the 2023 MS LR soon so, I can live with the reduced miles for another month or two. Not complaining at all, just commenting. Despite all the complaints that I've been seeing while researching this HV battery replacement issue, I'm still a huge fan and look forward to receiving my 3rd MS (started with a 2017 MS 100D, I got T-boned on driver's side in 2019 [WAY happy with safety features!!]; then got a 2019 MS LR; will soon get a 2023 MS LR). I will always have a MS!! Woohoo!!!